Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Extracting kernel image from a rom image

OP lunnrob

29th April 2014, 08:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I am trying to build some kernel modules for a Tronsmart MK808ii but Tronsmart have not provided the config (No proc/config.gz) after some messing about I have managed to get some kernel modules to load (I have the Init and Exit pointers in the right place). My first aim is to allow the device to read usb cdroms and iso files for which I need to load isofs.ko cdrom.ko and sr_mod.ko

Actually things go pretty well except there appears to be a misalignment between struct gendisk in the module and kernel. when the genhd driver dereferences gendisk->part0 i get an oops. Looking at the code the only definable length object before part0 seems to be disk_name

In order to be more precise about what's happening and to determine the relative alignment of structures between my kernel and the supplied one I need to be able to disassemble the original kernel which I've extracted from the eeprom - ony problem is that neither file nor objdump know what to do with this image, so I'm presupposing it has some sort of header on it so the bootloader can find the image. The Image starts with KRNL$

Does anyone have an idea of how vmlinux image can be extracted from this rom image?

int major; /* major number of driver */
int first_minor;
int minors; /* maximum number of minors, =1 for
* disks that can't be partitioned. */

char disk_name[DISK_NAME_LEN]; /* name of major driver */
char *(*devnode)(struct gendisk *gd, mode_t *mode);

unsigned int events; /* supported events */
unsigned int async_events; /* async events, subset of all */

/* Array of pointers to partitions indexed by partno.
* Protected with matching bdev lock but stat and other
* non-critical accesses use RCU. Always access through
* helpers.
*/
struct disk_part_tbl __rcu *part_tbl;
struct hd_struct part0;
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread