Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(Guide) How to fix 'no connection' on Google Play or YouTube

Tip us?

madman
Old
Thanks Meter 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidHtc101 View Post
Hi I get this error " hosts file cannot be deleted" using file explorer on stock kitkat

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk 2
You will definitrely need Root for doing changes in hosts file.
Thus it is impossible that host will can be issue on unrooted stock as its hostfile is almost blank (localhost doesn't count)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzel09 View Post
Problem is not the host file. we need an ota by motorola to fix this "connection drop".
well I can say that I have seen this isssue on several other phones as well. My secondary phone is also having the issue. My friends are also having this issue on other phones. So definitely not Moto's problem either I would say.

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzy24 View Post
The solution would be to just delete the hosts file and restart the phone. On reboot play store will rebuild the hosts file and you should be able to connect.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
Ignore the above, it is 100% completely wrong.

zazzy24
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland View Post
Ignore the above, it is 100% completely wrong.
How do u know its completely wrong? Have you tried it and didn't work? Obviously it needs root access.. don't dismiss a method without trying it.. i have used it on samsung y, samsung s duos as well as moto g with full success.. and u must have a 100% correct method for sure, y don't u mention it?

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzy24 View Post
How do u know its completely wrong? Have you tried it and didn't work? Obviously it needs root access.. don't dismiss a method without trying it.. i have used it on samsung y, samsung s duos as well as moto g with full success.. and u must have a 100% correct method for sure, y don't u mention it?

You said:

'On reboot play store will rebuild the hosts file'

That is just completely wrong. You really think an app (which BTW never uses root) rebuilds the hosts file!!!

zazzy24
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland View Post
You said:

'On reboot play store will rebuild the hosts file'

That is just completely wrong. You really think an app (which BTW never uses root) rebuilds the hosts file!!!
Again have u ever tried it? When i say you require root access, i mean to say you require it to delete the hosts file as you will not be able to do so with the stock file manager without root access..

ykdr-scott
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Thus is not working for me right now? Changed host file multiple times rebooted nothing... Host file remains the same and the market still no connection. Any other ideas?

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdr-scott View Post
Thus is not working for me right now? Changed host file multiple times rebooted nothing... Host file remains the same and the market still no connection. Any other ideas?

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
As I said, hosts file is irrelevant here, unless its been altered to have an entry for the hostname of the playstore in it which points to an invalid IP. But let's face it, that is not the case.

If you have no connection at all though then your issue is different to the original issue in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to scott_doyland For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alikpronoy
Old
(Last edited by alikpronoy; 21st May 2014 at 06:25 AM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 13
I want the moderator to ban me.

Minervamc
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 6
Very nice.It helps me about my gadget.