Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 52,188 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Getting HSPA+ on T-Mobile?

Tip us?

bubblebuddyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default Getting HSPA+ on T-Mobile?

I'm new to T-Mobile, was a HSPA+ ever discovered for us? Any way to get it on the S5 yet?

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebuddyi View Post
I'm new to T-Mobile, was a HSPA+ ever discovered for us? Any way to get it on the S5 yet?

What are you asking? T-Mobile primary network is EDGE, then HSPA, then LTE. If you want to use only HSPA, you can go to settings>mobile networks>network mode. WCDMA only

bubblebuddyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
What are you asking? T-Mobile primary network is EDGE, then HSPA, then LTE. If you want to use only HSPA, you can go to settings>mobile networks>network mode. WCDMA only
Sorry, I'm coming from ATT where we had to do weird things to unlock HSPA. My issue is I'm on EDGE more than anything and things don't even load on EDGE. I remember being stuck on E sometimes on ATT, but unlocking HSPA fixed that.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

jamboxboy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
There's no unlocking that Ive ever heard of. It sounds like you just get poor reception. Probably an area that doesn't get 4g or Lte. Check Tmobile coverage map.

BlackAlpha7
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah, my guess is coverage too. Do go in and check that option that they listed above for your network type. In your situation I would try setting it to WCDMA Only - this will FORCE it to connect to 4G (HSPA+) and if you have no signal for 4g you will have 0 bars so it is a good test to see how that signal is in your area aside from the network map.

risestar2
Old
Thanks Meter 13
You will only be able to use T-Mobile HSPA+ if you are using a T-Mobile branded S5. The AT&T S5 does not support the 1700 AWS band from T-Mobile so you will not be able to get it and will only have access to 2G/3G/4G and LTE (no 4G+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebuddyi View Post

bubblebuddyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by risestar2 View Post
You will only be able to use T-Mobile HSPA+ if you are using a T-Mobile branded S5. The AT&T S5 does not support the 1700 AWS band from T-Mobile so you will not be able to get it and will only have access to 2G/3G/4G and LTE (no 4G+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAlpha7 View Post
Yeah, my guess is coverage too. Do go in and check that option that they listed above for your network type. In your situation I would try setting it to WCDMA Only - this will FORCE it to connect to 4G (HSPA+) and if you have no signal for 4g you will have 0 bars so it is a good test to see how that signal is in your area aside from the network map.
Thanks, I'm using a branded t mobile s5 but I'm either on edge or 4G, mostly edge. I didn't realize hspa+ was just another word for 4g. So I guess I'm stuck with edge

risestar2
Old
Thanks Meter 13
T-Mobile rural coverage is quite poor in most areas, however they've committed to modernizing their rural areas now that they've got the major centers but it might take a year or better to get it all done. I'm planning to go to at&t in great meantime now that their rates have come down. I'm stuck in 2g land at home and work here

bubblebuddyi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by risestar2 View Post
T-Mobile rural coverage is quite poor in most areas, however they've committed to modernizing their rural areas now that they've got the major centers but it might take a year or better to get it all done. I'm planning to go to at&t in great meantime now that their rates have come down. I'm stuck in 2g land at home and work here

Hopefully they fix the service period, there's times when I'm full LTE but can't connect to anything.