Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G2 on the EOL list already?

Tip us?

Jank4AU
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1652

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer3032 View Post
All this means is that LG is going to stop producing the phone in favor of a newer model. Samsung makes their phones for years beyond their relevant lifespan and you can still find ancient Galaxy phones like the S2 on the shelves. The S3 is still the absolute go-to phone for any free contract, prepaid or non-contract deals. LG is a much smaller manufacturer and doesn't have the deals and agreements like Samsung does to pimp out their phones.

The Galaxy S4 is not going anywhere, it's going to stick around just as long as any of the Galaxy S flagships if not longer. The LG G2 will just be EoL as far as the carrier is concerned. So if you're a Bell customer, I'd recommend to get familiar with modifying your phone because Bell is likely not to push you any future updates.
Not sure what you mean by deals because the G2 was free much sooner than the S3. The OG and G2 both saw rapid price drops.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

ROM: ParanoidAndroid 4.4+ 2014-06-29
AT&T LG G2 - D800
TWRP 2.7.0.0

slayer3032
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank4AU View Post
Not sure what you mean by deals because the G2 was free much sooner than the S3. The OG and G2 both saw rapid price drops.

When I got my G2, the S3 was being peddled by every single carrier and given out like candy. You are/were able to pick up the S3 on almost any shelf as a prepaid device and if you signed into any deal that had free phones you got a S3. Samsung is still most likely making the S3, "emerging markets"(I assume) and every prepaid company basically relies on that phone. LG has none of those deals really and you'll never find a G2 in a plastic package hanging on a shelf at Walmart. Within 6 months, you'll most likely see the S4 in those packages.

This just says that LG is going to stop production of the G2 most likely because the G3 is coming out. LG doesn't have the market or ability to continue to sell their old flagship phone for years on end. They probably didn't have a huge profit margin on it since they can't sell and pump out millions upon millions of the phone. Thus since sales are tapering off and people are going for the new M8/S5 they're focusing on moving forward.

This could also just simply mean Bell is going to stop selling it since it's not selling well for them.

Cst79
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank4AU View Post
How can anyone think the S4 is a superior phone to this?

It's probably only LG's fault, not the carriers. If LG stopped making the G2 and started the G3 (due to limited manufacturing capacity), the carriers can't get any more stock so they list it as End Of Life. Meanwhile, the S4 is still being manufactured (even the S3 4G is still manufactured) so that's why they list it as alternative.

amankapoor4
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRobbo80 View Post
Did not know this, should have done more research really dissapointed! Phone is going on eBay soon and cut my losses and return to the nexus line

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
Can you buy a Nexus 4 today, and Google i think has 18 month update policy, so next version might be the last for Nexus 4 too. Fact is in today's tech world, you have a new flagship every 6 months, that does not necessarily mean you have to upgrade every 6 months.

Even if 4.5 is launched by end of this year, 95% of apps will still work on 4.4 and our phone is more then capable to handle them. So sit back and enjoy mate, until you wanna get suck in number wars and not care about the experience
The Following User Says Thank You to amankapoor4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WarlokkLLE
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I wouldn't let the EOL tag scare anybody away from this beast of a phone. Thanks to the awesome XDA forums, rooting, and a new battery; I made my old Droid Eris last for 2+ years and still going strong before getting a different phone. And the Droid Eris was EOL like 3 hours after I bought it haha

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

Billy Madison
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyman7200 View Post
I know the g3 is coming out and everything else but man this is to quick isn't it? I just got this phone lol... Does anyone know if this is bad or not?
Nope. The last Android for G2 will be in 2015. Look for Optimus G Pro, it is year old and it got Kitkat 2nd update in Korea. So stop FUD