Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,758 Members 46,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] DNA problem, need some advice

Tip us?

jayba420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] DNA problem, need some advice

So. I have had my DNA for like a year and a half. I have Viper DNA 2.5.0 installed and customized to my liking. I've been noticing a few little glitchy things here and there but for the most part the phone is functioning okay. Here's my problem. A few weeks ago I went to plug in the usb to charge and there must have been a little speck of dirt, gravel, or some of pocket debris and when i pushed in the connector it bent the pins inside the charge/data port. I have managed, using a pin, to straighten all of the pins except one which was beyond repair. I can plug in the cable and I can get it to charge but it will no longer be recognized by the computer. The damaged pin is one of the data signal pins so connection to the PC via usb is pretty much out.

Here's my question... Should I try to update my rom by wifi file transferring the latest viper DNA update file to the phone and then installing the zip in recovery? If anything goes wrong... i will not be able to connect the phone via USB to run any recovery options if things get boned up.

Is there a situation i could get myself into that not having a usb connection will totally leave me screwed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JaYBa420

Jaggar345
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayba420 View Post
So. I have had my DNA for like a year and a half. I have Viper DNA 2.5.0 installed and customized to my liking. I've been noticing a few little glitchy things here and there but for the most part the phone is functioning okay. Here's my problem. A few weeks ago I went to plug in the usb to charge and there must have been a little speck of dirt, gravel, or some of pocket debris and when i pushed in the connector it bent the pins inside the charge/data port. I have managed, using a pin, to straighten all of the pins except one which was beyond repair. I can plug in the cable and I can get it to charge but it will no longer be recognized by the computer. The damaged pin is one of the data signal pins so connection to the PC via usb is pretty much out.

Here's my question... Should I try to update my rom by wifi file transferring the latest viper DNA update file to the phone and then installing the zip in recovery? If anything goes wrong... i will not be able to connect the phone via USB to run any recovery options if things get boned up.

Is there a situation i could get myself into that not having a usb connection will totally leave me screwed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JaYBa420
If you accidentally wipe your storage and system there is no way to pick a rom without connecting to the computer. That's one potential problem I see. I also see that if your recovery gets messed up you can't use fastboot commands to flash a new one or wipe it's cache. So if it were me, I wouldn't risk it. You also can't ruu of something goes terribly wrong.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jayba420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggar345 View Post
If you accidentally wipe your storage and system there is no way to pick a rom without connecting to the computer. That's one potential problem I see. I also see that if your recovery gets messed up you can't use fastboot commands to flash a new one or wipe it's cache. So if it were me, I wouldn't risk it. You also can't ruu of something goes terribly wrong.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks... I definitely see your point. I'll hold on as long as i can but current stability conditions may force me to pull the trigger.

I appreciate your advice.

jayba420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default now its more meesed up

Everything kept crashing on me so despite Jagggar's advice <sorry>, I downloaded the latest viper to the phone, rebooted into recovery and attempted to install it. I figured it would be minimal risk because I'm just updating an existing viper dna installation, not really installing something new or different.... well the aroma installer failed mid way. and when i rebooted, it just hung at white htc screen. Luckily I had a CW backup from before i installed viper on the phone in the first place. It was from Jan and attached is the SW version info. So now im stuck on this. I have root and CW Recovery installed. My major issue here is I have no USB connectivity and I want to make my phone current. I dont care what rom, stock, or whatever, i just want my DNA to not be several software revisions behind. Is there any method that should work? I can wifi file transfer anything to my phone, reboot into recovery and flash but that's about it. Thoughts?

Forgive my newb-ness, but i see posts about firmwares, basebands, radios etc... are updates to those things only done via a usb connection or are those things copyable/flashable? if yes, then shouldnt, in theory, i be able to do them?

thanks for your patients with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-29-09-15-16.png
Views:	14
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	2715505