MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

[Q] How to find the right modded kernel/rom?

21st April 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
Suppose one has a small set of requirements for changes to make one's Nexus 7 useful for a particular requirement.

How does one go about finding the right modded kernel/rom combination for the job??

My current requirements are, as far as I can see from my initial considerations:

The OTG charging mod, i e it must be possible to charge the Nexus 7 2013 using high current while using the USB connector in OTG mode.
I need to be able to mount a large (32GB or more) NTFS or FAT32 USB stick inside the normal file system, so that any app can use the stick for file access and storage.
I need to be able to use a class compliant two-way record/play USB Audio Interface, and/or use something like the Audio Evolution Digital Audio Workstation app for field audio recording in pro quality, while simultaneously using a USB stick for storing the recorded audio.

SO, how would I go about finding workable kernel, rom and add-on-apps to enable this on the Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet?
21st April 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 73

226 posts
More
The ElementalX kernel has OTG charging built in and will work with Ntfs/Fat32/exFat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
24th April 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
[Q] How to find the right modded kernel/rom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rap3rman

The ElementalX kernel has OTG charging built in and will work with Ntfs/Fat32/exFat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Well, yes, that answers my current specific needs, possibly. Thank you!
(BTW what ROM would you recommend for use with the ElementalX kernel???)

However, what I asked was more about a general method of finding a kernel+rom suited to some random specific need.

Is there a list of what kernels and roms do? Is there some part of the XDA site where this kind of info can be found??

Is there some part of XDA or somewhere else where people test kernels+roms? To find limitations?
24th April 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 73

226 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mmr

Well, yes, that answers my current specific needs, possibly. Thank you!
(BTW what ROM would you recommend for use with the ElementalX kernel???)

However, what I asked was more about a general method of finding a kernel+rom suited to some random specific need.

Is there a list of what kernels and roms do? Is there some part of the XDA site where this kind of info can be found??

Is there some part of XDA or somewhere else where people test kernels+roms? To find limitations?

As for the rom do you prefer speed or customisability?
If you mean how kernels perform with each rom you can find that in the Kernel's thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389022
24th April 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #5  
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 5

35 posts
More
Each kernel has its own thread that tells exactly what it does and then users and the developer discuss all of it throughout the thread.
29th April 2014, 10:39 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Cool
So you're saying there's NO rational way: You ALWAYS have to wade thru massive amounts of partly unrelated text, not all in any sort of reasonably obvious place or in any sort of rational structure.

Well.

Or ASK outright, and hope somebody just happens to have given the same question some thought recently??

Ah well. Forums, I guess.
29th April 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #7  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 405

1,702 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mmr

So you're saying there's NO rational way: You ALWAYS have to wade thru massive amounts of partly unrelated text, not all in any sort of reasonably obvious place or in any sort of rational structure.

Well.

Or ASK outright, and hope somebody just happens to have given the same question some thought recently??

Ah well. Forums, I guess.

ElementalX has a caf kernel and an AOSP kernel. Thus you can use about any ROM you want with it just so you choose the correct corresponding kernel. There are a couple of lists that list many of the ROM's, kernels, recoveries etc. but there is no list that goes through each function of every ROM. That would be near impossible to keep up because devs change their builds all the time. AOSP might add or remove functions and now the devs have to work around it. There is just to much change to realistically keep a list like that and have it be accurate at all times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by LinearEquation; 29th April 2014 at 05:39 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
otg + charging, selection, usb audio
Previous Thread Next Thread