Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,911 Members 49,298 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to find the right modded kernel/rom?

Tip us?
 
n3mmr
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jan 2014
Question [Q] How to find the right modded kernel/rom?

Suppose one has a small set of requirements for changes to make one's Nexus 7 useful for a particular requirement.

How does one go about finding the right modded kernel/rom combination for the job??

My current requirements are, as far as I can see from my initial considerations:

The OTG charging mod, i e it must be possible to charge the Nexus 7 2013 using high current while using the USB connector in OTG mode.
I need to be able to mount a large (32GB or more) NTFS or FAT32 USB stick inside the normal file system, so that any app can use the stick for file access and storage.
I need to be able to use a class compliant two-way record/play USB Audio Interface, and/or use something like the Audio Evolution Digital Audio Workstation app for field audio recording in pro quality, while simultaneously using a USB stick for storing the recorded audio.

SO, how would I go about finding workable kernel, rom and add-on-apps to enable this on the Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet?
 
rap3rman
Old
#2  
rap3rman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 218
Join Date: Feb 2013
The ElementalX kernel has OTG charging built in and will work with Ntfs/Fat32/exFat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Android Geek
 
n3mmr
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default [Q] How to find the right modded kernel/rom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap3rman View Post
The ElementalX kernel has OTG charging built in and will work with Ntfs/Fat32/exFat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Well, yes, that answers my current specific needs, possibly. Thank you!
(BTW what ROM would you recommend for use with the ElementalX kernel???)

However, what I asked was more about a general method of finding a kernel+rom suited to some random specific need.

Is there a list of what kernels and roms do? Is there some part of the XDA site where this kind of info can be found??

Is there some part of XDA or somewhere else where people test kernels+roms? To find limitations?
 
rap3rman
Old
#4  
rap3rman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 218
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mmr View Post
Well, yes, that answers my current specific needs, possibly. Thank you!
(BTW what ROM would you recommend for use with the ElementalX kernel???)

However, what I asked was more about a general method of finding a kernel+rom suited to some random specific need.

Is there a list of what kernels and roms do? Is there some part of the XDA site where this kind of info can be found??

Is there some part of XDA or somewhere else where people test kernels+roms? To find limitations?
As for the rom do you prefer speed or customisability?
If you mean how kernels perform with each rom you can find that in the Kernel's thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389022
Android Geek
 
madbat99
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 24
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Orleans
Each kernel has its own thread that tells exactly what it does and then users and the developer discuss all of it throughout the thread.
 
n3mmr
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jan 2014
So you're saying there's NO rational way: You ALWAYS have to wade thru massive amounts of partly unrelated text, not all in any sort of reasonably obvious place or in any sort of rational structure.

Well.

Or ASK outright, and hope somebody just happens to have given the same question some thought recently??

Ah well. Forums, I guess.
 
LinearEquation
Old
(Last edited by LinearEquation; 29th April 2014 at 05:39 PM.)
#7  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 403
Posts: 1,687
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mmr View Post
So you're saying there's NO rational way: You ALWAYS have to wade thru massive amounts of partly unrelated text, not all in any sort of reasonably obvious place or in any sort of rational structure.

Well.

Or ASK outright, and hope somebody just happens to have given the same question some thought recently??

Ah well. Forums, I guess.
ElementalX has a caf kernel and an AOSP kernel. Thus you can use about any ROM you want with it just so you choose the correct corresponding kernel. There are a couple of lists that list many of the ROM's, kernels, recoveries etc. but there is no list that goes through each function of every ROM. That would be near impossible to keep up because devs change their builds all the time. AOSP might add or remove functions and now the devs have to work around it. There is just to much change to realistically keep a list like that and have it be accurate at all times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254

Tags
otg + charging, selection, usb audio
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Intel Partners with Unity to Support Android on Intel-Based Devices

Intel, largely known for their long-standing reputation as the king of … more

Device Review: Samsung Gear Live

Recently, Google announced Android Wear to the world. Android Wear is the Android-based initiative from … more

Forums Added for the Nvidia Shield Tablet and Sharp Aquos Crystal

Just a few days ago, wetook an in depth look at theNvidia Shield Tabletand … more

[OTA Captured] Android 4.4.3 Lands on European HTC One M7

The secound release of the Android L Developer Previewmay be the new hotness for … more