Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 49,555 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Back-plate screw dimensions?

Tip us?

gerhardo
Old
(Last edited by gerhardo; 1st March 2014 at 04:10 PM.) Reason: Updated dimensions
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default Back-plate screw dimensions?

There were some discussions at the old Omate forum, but no confirmation on the actual specification for the back-plate and SIM screws.
As the threads are very easy to wear-out, it is not unreasonable to have to replace them every time opening the cover.
The screws seem to be difficult to find. It may be possible to get them at an Optican. Other than that, they can be ordered from something like aliexpress. The screws are normally in lots of 100 to 1000 pieces. While the cost for each screw is low, Fedex cost many times the package cost. So it is good to have the specifications confirmed early, so China Air Mail can be used.
With dimensions and a supply settled, there may be unofficial "national distribution centers".

I have a de-threaded back-plate screw and have assumed some data below

Dimension: (M1.4)
Pitch: (0.3mm (coarse, 0.2 is fine but unusual)) (There seem to be 9 threads on 3mm, so 0.3mm seem reasonable)
Back Length: 3mm
SIM length: 2 mm
Head size: 2 mm
Holes are about .5mm longer than screws and 2.1mm diameter
Quality: "Soft" (not stainless/titanium, to decrease risk that housing threading is damaged) Nickelplated OK?

I found a couple of suppliers. Those with best fit seem to have 2.5mm head. It should be possible to adjust head and length...
Cost is $6 for 200 pieces, shipping with air-mail about the same.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerhardo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kp12584
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhardo View Post
There were some discussions at the old Omate forum, but no confirmation on the actual specification for the back-plate and SIM screws.
As the threads are very easy to wear-out, it is not unreasonable to have to replace them every time opening the cover.
The screws seem to be difficult to find. It may be possible to get them at an Optican. Other than that, they can be ordered from something like aliexpress. The screws are normally in lots of 100 to 1000 pieces. While the cost for each screw is low, Fedex cost many times the package cost. So it is good to have the specifications confirmed early, so China Air Mail can be used.
With dimensions and a supply settled, there may be unofficial "national distribution centers".

I have a de-threaded back-plate screw and have assumed some data below

Dimension: (M1.4)
Pitch: (0.3mm (coarse, 0.2 is fine but unusual)) (There seem to be 9 threads on 3mm, so 0.3mm seem reasonable)
Back Length: 3mm
SIM length: 2 mm
Head size: 2 mm
Holes are about .5mm longer than screws and 2.1mm diameter
Quality: "Soft" (not stainless/titanium, to decrease risk that housing threading is damaged) Nickelplated OK?

I found a couple of suppliers. Those with best fit seem to have 2.5mm head. It should be possible to adjust head and length...
Cost is $6 for 200 pieces, shipping with air-mail about the same.
Great info. I am needing some new back plate screws. Would you mind posting the link to the online supplier?

gerhardo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp12584 View Post
Great info. I am needing some new back plate screws. Would you mind posting the link to the online supplier?
I do not think xda rules allows posting of direct links.
I got the screws from ebay, seller bohwu, 50 pieces. Fast and cheap.
Just search for "m1.4x4" to find more suppliers.

But it would be interesting f someone finds a good supplier for 2mm heads.
As the heads are not perfectly round after adjusting, it would be good if someone found a supplier.
All sources I found on ebay and those I looked at aliexpress either listed 2.5mm heads or had no size and a picture indicating more than 2mm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerhardo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaBountyHunter
Old
(Last edited by DaBountyHunter; 29th April 2014 at 04:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Can you guys confirm the screws the back cover and sim card slot use then? I need to get some spare as you said the heads get easily damaged. I can't even get my backcover off! To prevent damaging the head I've just ordered a proper screw driver as the supplied one is rubbish. Have only managed to take the sim card cover off. The backplate is put on too tight.

trent999
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Get the back cover off somehow, drilling the heads off the cheap screws it was assembled with if necessary, then replace the screws with the spares that came in the same little bag as the crappy screwdriver-like-object. They are better quality, but be sure you only touch them with a good ph000 driver.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to trent999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]