Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,660 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to Unroot my Verizon G2?

Tip us?

HTWingNut
Old
(Last edited by HTWingNut; 25th April 2014 at 10:43 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to Unroot my Verizon G2?

I recently rooted my Verizon G2 with ioroot, Android version is currently 4.2.2. Now Verizon keeps pushing to update to 4.4.2, and reminds me every 12 hours to do so. The update fails, and I'm assuming because the phone is rooted. So I guess a couple questions:

(1) Is there a way to prevent it from asking for an update, and I'll just stick with 4.2.2?
(2) How do I "unroot" my phone? Is there a simple way to reverse the process, and also how do I root it when I get to 4.4.2?

Thanks!

EDIT: I saw this guide, just the title didn't sound like it was related to root, but at least I can try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729156

But I'd still like to see if there's a way to stay with 4.2.2 instead, do I really need 4.4.2?

DroidOnRoids
Old
(Last edited by DroidOnRoids; 25th April 2014 at 01:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWingNut View Post
I recently rooted my Verizon G2 with ioroot, Android version is currently 4.2.2. Now Verizon keeps pushing to update to 4.4.2, and reminds me every 12 hours to do so. The update fails, and I'm assuming because the phone is rooted. So I guess a couple questions:

(1) Is there a way to prevent it from asking for an update, and I'll just stick with 4.2.2?
(2) How do I "unroot" my phone? Is there a simple way to reverse the process, and also how do I root it when I get to 4.4.2?

Thanks!

EDIT: I saw this guide, just the title didn't sound like it was related to root, but at least I can try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729156

But I'd still like to see if there's a way to stay with 4.2.2 instead, do I really need 4.4.2?
You can use TitaniumBackup and freeze the OTA updater apk. I don't know the exact apk name so hopefully someone can chime in. Also you can do a full unroot by going into the SuperUser app and clicking on Full Unroot. It will do it's thing and you will reboot.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that root does NOT kill the OTA. You most likely have a custom recovery on your phone. That's why it fails. So all you have to do is just freeze the annoying updater apk and you should be good to go.
Current devices: Moto X & Droid Razr Maxx

HTWingNut
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks! I'll see if I can find the ota updater apk and freeze it.

Beamed from my G2 Tricorder

JRJ442
Old
Thanks Meter 1131

DONATE TO ME
You could always just flash one of the 4.4.2 stock LG ROMs like Malladus or xdabbebs. If you have a custom recovery that is.

eshunne
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWingNut View Post
Thanks! I'll see if I can find the ota updater apk and freeze it.

Beamed from my G2 Tricorder
Please let us know if you find it...I am in the same boat and I cannot find what to freeze either.

mrchambo
Old
Thanks Meter 380
System updates MUC 6.4.1.5_E02

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

At least in xdabbeb's ROM

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

HTWingNut
Old
(Last edited by HTWingNut; 30th April 2014 at 02:42 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, I think I figured it out. MUC 6.4.1.5_E02 was disabled by default when I upgraded to Titanium Backup Pro.