Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How to Unroot my Verizon G2?

OP HTWingNut

25th April 2014, 11:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I recently rooted my Verizon G2 with ioroot, Android version is currently 4.2.2. Now Verizon keeps pushing to update to 4.4.2, and reminds me every 12 hours to do so. The update fails, and I'm assuming because the phone is rooted. So I guess a couple questions:

(1) Is there a way to prevent it from asking for an update, and I'll just stick with 4.2.2?
(2) How do I "unroot" my phone? Is there a simple way to reverse the process, and also how do I root it when I get to 4.4.2?

Thanks!

EDIT: I saw this guide, just the title didn't sound like it was related to root, but at least I can try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729156

But I'd still like to see if there's a way to stay with 4.2.2 instead, do I really need 4.4.2?
Last edited by HTWingNut; 25th April 2014 at 11:43 AM.
25th April 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #2  
Flag Baltimore, MD
Thanks Meter: 339

1,012 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWingNut

I recently rooted my Verizon G2 with ioroot, Android version is currently 4.2.2. Now Verizon keeps pushing to update to 4.4.2, and reminds me every 12 hours to do so. The update fails, and I'm assuming because the phone is rooted. So I guess a couple questions:

(1) Is there a way to prevent it from asking for an update, and I'll just stick with 4.2.2?
(2) How do I "unroot" my phone? Is there a simple way to reverse the process, and also how do I root it when I get to 4.4.2?

Thanks!

EDIT: I saw this guide, just the title didn't sound like it was related to root, but at least I can try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729156

But I'd still like to see if there's a way to stay with 4.2.2 instead, do I really need 4.4.2?

You can use TitaniumBackup and freeze the OTA updater apk. I don't know the exact apk name so hopefully someone can chime in. Also you can do a full unroot by going into the SuperUser app and clicking on Full Unroot. It will do it's thing and you will reboot.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that root does NOT kill the OTA. You most likely have a custom recovery on your phone. That's why it fails. So all you have to do is just freeze the annoying updater apk and you should be good to go.
Last edited by DroidOnRoids; 25th April 2014 at 02:08 PM.
25th April 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Thanks! I'll see if I can find the ota updater apk and freeze it.

Beamed from my G2 Tricorder
25th April 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #4  
Flag Salisbury, Md
Thanks Meter: 1,386

2,282 posts
Donate to Me
More
You could always just flash one of the 4.4.2 stock LG ROMs like Malladus or xdabbebs. If you have a custom recovery that is.
25th April 2014, 11:04 PM   |  #5  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWingNut

Thanks! I'll see if I can find the ota updater apk and freeze it.

Beamed from my G2 Tricorder

Please let us know if you find it...I am in the same boat and I cannot find what to freeze either.
25th April 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 422

1,193 posts
System updates MUC 6.4.1.5_E02

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

At least in xdabbeb's ROM

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
30th April 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Ok, I think I figured it out. MUC 6.4.1.5_E02 was disabled by default when I upgraded to Titanium Backup Pro.
Last edited by HTWingNut; 30th April 2014 at 03:42 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread