Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,938 Members 49,534 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Making HBOOT flashable via Recovery with S-OFF

Tip us?

troby86
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 914

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Making HBOOT flashable via Recovery with S-OFF

Hello Everyone,

I have a question,

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a flashable zip for HBOOTs, to flash via recovery, if you are S-OFF. I understand that it can be done via fastboot, but I would like to know if it can be done via recovery. If so, can you please enlighten me? Thanks.

DEVICE: HTC One (T-Mobile)
ROM: United SSA v1.0.0 (Official TMOUS Sense 6)
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.0.0

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by troby86 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to create a flashable zip for HBOOTs, to flash via recovery, if you are S-OFF. I understand that it can be done via fastboot, but I would like to know if it can be done via recovery. If so, can you please enlighten me? Thanks.
IF this is possible, it's very dangerous because it bypasses the normal checks that the bootloader does before installing a recovery (and obviously would require S-Off). But the way a flashable .zip works is that it has files, and a script that installs the files. You could (probably) write a script that checks the phone model, then writes an image file to the partition where HBOOT lives. Why do you want to do this?
If I helped, click Thanks!

troby86
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 914

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
IF this is possible, it's very dangerous because it bypasses the normal checks that the bootloader does before installing a recovery (and obviously would require S-Off). But the way a flashable .zip works is that it has files, and a script that installs the files. You could (probably) write a script that checks the phone model, then writes an image file to the partition where HBOOT lives. Why do you want to do this?
The only reason I wanted to try this, is because I flashed HBOOT 1.44 to my phone, and ADB and FASTBOOT does not work with that HBOOT and Windows 8.1 combined, and all the computers in my house are on Windows 8.1. However, I used a live Linux USB and flashed back 1.56 HBOOT, so all is good now.

DEVICE: HTC One (T-Mobile)
ROM: United SSA v1.0.0 (Official TMOUS Sense 6)
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.0.0

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by troby86 View Post
The only reason I wanted to try this, is because I flashed HBOOT 1.44 to my phone, and ADB and FASTBOOT does not work with that HBOOT and Windows 8.1 combined, and all the computers in my house are on Windows 8.1. However, I used a live Linux USB and flashed back 1.56 HBOOT, so all is good now.
Good to know. That's much smarter. (Note: the flash-within-recovery solution makes me especially nervous because I've tried to flash the wrong OS for my phone 2-3 times. The built-in safeguards have always saved me.)
If I helped, click Thanks!