Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,749 Members 40,225 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google wallet and the note 3

Tip us?

yokozuna82
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Google wallet and the note 3

What is the status of getting Google wallet to work on the note 3? Ive had Google wallet since my nexus 5 days and really like the app. .. Will 4.4 bring us access to it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

440bro
Old
Thanks Meter 383

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokozuna82 View Post
What is the status of getting Google wallet to work on the note 3? Ive had Google wallet since my nexus 5 days and really like the app. .. Will 4.4 bring us access to it?

Google wallet works, however the tap to pay feature doesn't. And that really sucks!

I believe Isis works now with 4.3, and if you flash 4.4 a certain way isis will still work. You'll have to search for that isis thread for more info.

aygriffith
Old
Thanks Meter 61
So even with the N900A update this week we still do not have a working Tap to Pay on Google Wallet. I was hopefully both because of their response to my FCC complaint in Nov 13 that said 4.4 would have it and because its my understanding it works on the 4.4 update for the i337 S4.

I'm planning on starting a thread on the AT&T Community Support forums but I'd love to know if there's a simple way around this. I used to love Tap to Pay on my phones circa 2011/12 but I haven't had it for almost 3 years courtesy of all 3 Galaxy Note models. Has anyone attempted to side load the .apk from the Nexus 5?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Now...
Samsung Note 3 N900A(play)
Apple iPhone 5S 32GB(work)
Asus Nexus 7" 16GB & 32GB WiFi
Samsung Nexus 10 32GB
Apple iPad 4
Samsung 500t Tablet + Dock

Gone but mostly not forgotten...
6 Blackberries, HTC TP2, HTC Hero, HTC Evo 4G, Samsung Nexus S 9020T, Samsung Galaxy S2 T989, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 9250i, Apple iPhone 4s, HTC One X+, Asus Transformer TF300, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung GT7 i987, Samsung GT27 GT-P3113, Samsung GN2 GT-N7100, Samsung GT10 GT-P7510, LG G Pro E980

Gary02468
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I too would like tap-to-pay to work in Google Wallet. But I'm curious about why people value tap-to-pay.

I've been using tap-to-pay in Isis Wallet, and it works well. But I find that it's slightly more work to take out my phone, start the wallet app, enter my PIN, and tap than it is to take out my physical wallet, remove the credit card, and swipe. Tap-to-pay is entertaining because it still has novelty value, but I don't see any practical advantage yet.

njschwartz
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I was also hoping that the update would include support for tap to pay. I had the X-Note Rom installed for a while and tap to pay surprisingly worked. Probably because it was based off of an international Rom I would assume. I have gone back to stock and not having tap to pay again sucks. I hope Google can force AT&T to let us use it soon.

aygriffith
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary02468 View Post
I too would like tap-to-pay to work in Google Wallet. But I'm curious about why people value tap-to-pay.

I've been using tap-to-pay in Isis Wallet, and it works well. But I find that it's slightly more work to take out my phone, start the wallet app, enter my PIN, and tap than it is to take out my physical wallet, remove the credit card, and swipe. Tap-to-pay is entertaining because it still has novelty value, but I don't see any practical advantage yet.
From a security standpoint it's far more secure than a physical card presented to the cashier. Convenience wise, it's easier to not carry multiple cards and safer too from a potential lose your wallet standpoint.

I agree there's a high level of novelty but it's a useful feature none the less. ISIS is a boondoggle and only works with AT&T provides sim cards. I'm usually on Straight Talk or Go Phone when in the US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Now...
Samsung Note 3 N900A(play)
Apple iPhone 5S 32GB(work)
Asus Nexus 7" 16GB & 32GB WiFi
Samsung Nexus 10 32GB
Apple iPad 4
Samsung 500t Tablet + Dock

Gone but mostly not forgotten...
6 Blackberries, HTC TP2, HTC Hero, HTC Evo 4G, Samsung Nexus S 9020T, Samsung Galaxy S2 T989, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 9250i, Apple iPhone 4s, HTC One X+, Asus Transformer TF300, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung GT7 i987, Samsung GT27 GT-P3113, Samsung GN2 GT-N7100, Samsung GT10 GT-P7510, LG G Pro E980

lawalty
Old
(Last edited by lawalty; 29th March 2014 at 09:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by aygriffith View Post
Has anyone attempted to side load the .apk from the Nexus 5?
Yes, and unfortunately it still doesn't use the tap-to-pay feature.

I'm like you. When I was with t-mobile, I returned my precious Note3 all because of this stupid carrier blocking this service. I went with the Nexus5.

My wife and I, recently moved to at&t, and knowing the 4.4.2 update was just around the corner, I jumped into another Note3.

Now, since I'm full blown official 4.4.2, I STILL CAN'T USE GOOGLE'S WALLET TAP-TO-PAY FEATURE!!!

WHAT THE HELL!?!?

Even side loading my Nexus5 Google wallet apk, it still won't activate the service I fell in love with on my Nexus5!

Just plain stupid!

Peace be with you!

Phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Watch: FitBIt Force
The Following User Says Thank You to lawalty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gary02468
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aygriffith View Post
From a security standpoint it's far more secure than a physical card presented to the cashier. Convenience wise, it's easier to not carry multiple cards and safer too from a potential lose your wallet standpoint.
Thanks, those are helpful points.

I can see those advantages arising eventually, but for me at least they're not here yet. I only use one card anyway, and until e-wallets are accepted everywhere, I still need to carry the card. Everyplace that accepts e-wallets also allows self-swiping of cards, so there's no cashier risk if I use my card instead of my e-wallet. Card readers can be skimmed, but so can NFC readers.

Nonetheless, I would like tap-to-pay to work.

EzraGarrison
Old
(Last edited by EzraGarrison; 30th April 2014 at 04:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 67
I came here researching for a friend who wants wallet tap and pay on his AT&T note 3 and I have to comment on the "novelty" factor. I have a t-mobile s4 running TheSickness's Insane Kit Kat V8 and I use tap and pay on a daily basis. I have one bank account and 2 debit cards linked to wallet and each payday I allot myself an amount to use for lunches and things at work. There are two stores beside mine, a drugstore and an upscale, independent grocery store, who both have NFC registers. I don't have to pull out a card or fumble with cash because I already always have my phone in my hand. I tap the card reader and put in my wallet pin and I walk out. It's not just novel, it's incredibly useful and helps me budget my income better. Just my two cents.

Edit : come to think of it, the McDonald's and the subway there both have NFC, too.

Sent From One Sick, Insane, Deviant Kat!