Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Backing up My Rooted Stock 4.1.2 Note 2

Tip us?

edo101
Old
(Last edited by edo101; 28th April 2014 at 09:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Backing up My Rooted Stock 4.1.2 Note 2

Hey guys I am a bit confused on a couple of things backup related.

I just Rooted my phone to stock using Mr. Robinson's ROM and I am now 4.1.2 rooted on a 4.1.2 BL

I want to use Sky Note Air ROM (4.3.3 based) due to its Air command feature but don't want to get the 4.3 BL. From what I understand, it can be done using Mobile Odin and downloading a wifi patch but I want to backup my phone before I take the plunge

What I'm wondering is, how do I do this without tripping the warranty counter with TWRP. I don't understand how custom recovery works. What I know is that I want to:

backup my phone in it's working condition and if somewhere in the flashing process it doesn't turn out well, I want to go back tothe place I was when it was working on 4.1.2 rooted It seems I need nandroid backup?

Do I need to install TWRP and the recovery in order to do this or are there any other programs that can give me what I want (ie: Titanium backup). Again I'm just a bit concerned about TWRP recovery messing up the phone warranty status.

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Install a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM. Once there choose backup and select the partitions you wish to backup. I always back up boot, cache, system, and data. Reboot as normal.

Once in android I use an md5 verifier to check the validity of the backup. Android File Verifier or Nandroid Manager are two that can do the job. It will take a while as the files add up to about 5gb or so. Once that is done throw your backup onto an external storage solution (PC or cloud). Be confident.

Additionally I do a titanium backup from within android. Once I flash my new ROM I will install my apps from the play store and restore app data to the ones I simply can't do with starting over.

WiFi patch... Don't think that mobile Odin will do be able to apply it. PC Odin or Heimdall are your only options for touching the bootloader.

For WiFi on 4.3 TW ROMs I run agni kernel which gives WiFi back with no bootloader funny business.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76 View Post
Install a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM. Once there choose backup and select the partitions you wish to backup. I always back up boot, cache, system, and data. Reboot as normal.

Once in android I use an md5 verifier to check the validity of the backup. Android File Verifier or Nandroid Manager are two that can do the job. It will take a while as the files add up to about 5gb or so. Once that is done throw your backup onto an external storage solution (PC or cloud). Be confident.

Additionally I do a titanium backup from within android. Once I flash my new ROM I will install my apps from the play store and restore app data to the ones I simply can't do with starting over.

WiFi patch... Don't think that mobile Odin will do be able to apply it. PC Odin or Heimdall are your only options for touching the bootloader.

For WiFi on 4.3 TW ROMs I run agni kernel which gives WiFi back with no bootloader funny business.

So TWRM will make the backup on my internal storage, which I then need to transfer to my SD card?

And titanium backup backs up app data that you can use to go back to the status of your apps on the new ROM?

And you're saying while I can install a 4.3 ROM via mobile Odin, I cannot install a wifi patch without PC Odin which will trigger a custom status if I'm not mistaken?

I was under the impression I can use this wifi patch without a need for touching kernels?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=204

And finally: On the app store I see TWRP manager and I install it from the play store but is this the only step I need for installation, or do I need to install other components to be able to do a proper backup? And with TWRP do you use it to flash a custom ROM or is it used to restore your stock ROM and does either mess up the official status/warranty status of the phone? Thanks in advance
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.twrpmanager

edo101
Old
(Last edited by edo101; 29th April 2014 at 08:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default My modem?

So I did flash successfully but my 4G modem aint working, any tips on how to fix this if it is a common problem. I already flashed latest modem but still no dice. Still on 4.1.2 BL if I'm not mistaken

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
So TWRM will make the backup on my internal storage, which I then need to transfer to my SD card?

And titanium backup backs up app data that you can use to go back to the status of your apps on the new ROM?

And you're saying while I can install a 4.3 ROM via mobile Odin, I cannot install a wifi patch without PC Odin which will trigger a custom status if I'm not mistaken?

I was under the impression I can use this wifi patch without a need for touching kernels?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=204

And finally: On the app store I see TWRP manager and I install it from the play store but is this the only step I need for installation, or do I need to install other components to be able to do a proper backup? And with TWRP do you use it to flash a custom ROM or is it used to restore your stock ROM and does either mess up the official status/warranty status of the phone? Thanks in advance
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.twrpmanager
You can have TWRP save to external SD by changing your directory to save to prior to backup.

TB can restore app data as well as system data. I don't usually restore apps from TB. I will do some app data and SMS/MMS from TB Pro. Messing with TB restores can make for flaky installs should the wrong stuff be restored especially between Android versions.

Mobile Odin will not touch the bootloader. The WiFi patch is applied to the bootloader. You can try all day long and not do anything other that kill your battery and need to recharge. Odin has 0 to do with custom status. Custom status is a TW root detection thing and not an Odin thing.

The WiFi patch will allow the use of TW stock kernel with WiFi. It *can* be buggy. I just run Agni kernel with TW ROMs and avoid the whole issue that way. I don't see the down side but some stuff like all share might not work with a custom kernel I guess.

I don't know what TWRP manager is. I just checked in the Play Store (the App Store is what iPhone users are stuck with) and it looks like that app is not real useful. I wouldn't give it a second look. If you MUST use an app to install recovery use Goo Manager, it's the official TWRP install app. The rest of the custom recovery functionality is best done in TWRP. Only use the recovery version prepared specifically for your device's model number. Once you install that don't use an app to update the recovery version while on a non TMo based GN2 ROM. The build.prop for the non TMo devices can cause the app to apply the wrong version to your phone.

Also don't flash any modem for a device other that the specific model number on your device. Note 2 has myriad versions. The T-Mobile version is the SGH-T889. ROMs for GSM LTE Note 2 versions are OK (AT&T/SGH-I317 or N7105). Modem or recovery are not.

Custom recovery is what installs and backs up then restores our devices. The act of rooting or installing absolutely voids warranty (in the eyes of Samsung). That doesn't mean that we can't get back to stock and clear flash counters to be warranty valid. If there is a hardware issue that needs to be addressed you can almost always get back to stock. If the device is broken, you aren't covered by warranty anyway.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Quote:
So I did flash successfully but my 4G modem aint working, any tips on how to fix this if it is a common problem. I already flashed latest modem but still no dice. Still on 4.1.2 BL if I'm not mistaken
What did you flash? How did you do it? Need more detail.

edo101
Old
(Last edited by edo101; 29th April 2014 at 10:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
You can have TWRP save to external SD by changing your directory to save to prior to backup.

TB can restore app data as well as system data. I don't usually restore apps from TB. I will do some app data and SMS/MMS from TB Pro. Messing with TB restores can make for flaky installs should the wrong stuff be restored especially between Android versions.

Mobile Odin will not touch the bootloader. The WiFi patch is applied to the bootloader. You can try all day long and not do anything other that kill your battery and need to recharge. Odin has 0 to do with custom status. Custom status is a TW root detection thing and not an Odin thing.

The WiFi patch will allow the use of TW stock kernel with WiFi. It *can* be buggy. I just run Agni kernel with TW ROMs and avoid the whole issue that way. I don't see the down side but some stuff like all share might not work with a custom kernel I guess.

I don't know what TWRP manager is. I just checked in the Play Store (the App Store is what iPhone users are stuck with) and it looks like that app is not real useful. I wouldn't give it a second look. If you MUST use an app to install recovery use Goo Manager, it's the official TWRP install app. The rest of the custom recovery functionality is best done in TWRP. Only use the recovery version prepared specifically for your device's model number. Once you install that don't use an app to update the recovery version while on a non TMo based GN2 ROM. The build.prop for the non TMo devices can cause the app to apply the wrong version to your phone.

Also don't flash any modem for a device other that the specific model number on your device. Note 2 has myriad versions. The T-Mobile version is the SGH-T889. ROMs for GSM LTE Note 2 versions are OK (AT&T/SGH-I317 or N7105). Modem or recovery are not.

Custom recovery is what installs and backs up then restores our devices. The act of rooting or installing absolutely voids warranty (in the eyes of Samsung). That doesn't mean that we can't get back to stock and clear flash counters to be warranty valid. If there is a hardware issue that needs to be addressed you can almost always get back to stock. If the device is broken, you aren't covered by warranty anyway.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

What did you flash? How did you do it? Need more detail.

I flashed http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2584533
http://skynote.camattin.com/%29?

SKy Note Air G2 and I flashed it with the T889 MK7 modem along with Agni Kernel.
However Everything else is working except for the modem. I'm still on 4.1.2 BL it looks like (not sure how to check) but my mobile stuff is in tact. It just says mobile network state (disconnected) but all my phone info is correct. It even still has my MetroPCS/Tmo as my Network

Although now, my phone shows as ATT model

I was thinking, should i flash the 4.1.2 modem to see if it will work? I am I believe still on the 4.1.2 BL since I used TWRP to flash not PC Odin or Heimdall

Coug76
Old
(Last edited by Coug76; 29th April 2014 at 11:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
I flashed http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2584533
http://skynote.camattin.com/%29?

SKy Note Air G2 and I flashed it with the T889 MK7 modem along with Agni Kernel.
However Everything else is working except for the modem. I'm still on 4.1.2 BL it looks like (not sure how to check) but my mobile stuff is in tact. It just says mobile network state (disconnected) but all my phone info is correct. It even still has my MetroPCS/Tmo as my Network

Although now, my phone shows as ATT model

I was thinking, should i flash the 4.1.2 modem to see if it will work? I am I believe still on the 4.1.2 BL since I used TWRP to flash not PC Odin or Heimdall
Your APN is still wrong. SkyNote is an I317 ROM. It has APN settings for AT&T. The reason your device thinks that it's an I317 is because your ROM is built for the I317. The build.prop is for i317. You can either live with it or change the build.prop to T889. If your baseband shows the MK7 modem you are on the MK7 modem. Don't mess with it.

edo101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Your APN is still wrong. SkyNote is an I317 ROM. It has APN settings for AT&T. The reason your device thinks that it's an I317 is because your ROM is built for the I317. The build.prop is for i317. You can either live with it or change the build.prop to T889. If your baseband shows the MK7 modem you are on the MK7 modem. Don't mess with it.

Oh I'm not even sure if it was MK7 from the get go. I just fashed it without checking to MK7.

Anyway, I don't mind it being AT&T but I need to get the radio working again. How do I fix the APN issue? Or do I need to know my APN settings beforehand?

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
Oh I'm not even sure if it was MK7 from the get go. I just fashed it without checking to MK7.

Anyway, I don't mind it being AT&T but I need to get the radio working again. How do I fix the APN issue? Or do I need to know my APN settings beforehand?
You need to determine what the metro APN settings are in advance of being able to change them. The APN settings are under settings > wireless and networks > more > access point names. Fill in the blanks accurately then reboot.