Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Locked out of device

Tip us?

duckredbeard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Default Locked out of device

Someone I work with his come to me for help because he knows I'm all into android gadgets. I have rooted my last two phones within hours of getting them and have become a flashaholic. Always messing with my devices.

He has a Samsung Captivate that he has "retired" and I'm interested in buying it for a few purposes. Unfortunately, he let his (adult) son play with it and the lock screen pattern is set. He doesn't know the pattern or the google account password associated with the account on the device. (When he upgraded and moved out of the device he had to create a new google account.)

He wants to look into the device one more before he turns it over to me. (I will wipe it and root it for my purposes.) Is there a way to get past the lock screen without the complete reset in recovery?

Sent from my GS4 running GoldenEye 26 while holding a homebrew.
Daily carry - Galaxy S4 (AT&T), ShoStock v8.1 (and jeboo) themed by JohnMcW
Busy time toy - Asus TF700, ZOMBI-X (Beta testing)
Media device for BT audio in the kitchen - HTC Inspire, Fallen
Media device for car audio - HTC Vivid, PAC-man 4.4 [AOSP]

You can't know your limits until you exceed them.

My other device is an all grain HomeBrew rig.

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 514

DONATE TO ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs642eujuLA

This might depend on what update it is on, but you can try that.

More generic ideas:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1800799

There are also tools that have the capability to bypass it that some professional shops would have, but probably would be hard pressed to find one of them and between the time and $, probably not worth it.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s
Now offering unlocking services - including many Sprint phone unlocks! PM for details!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)