5,815,179 Members 38,298 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Be wary of Fake Micro-SD Cards (I Got Ripped Off)

Tip us?

rahtrip
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default Be wary of Fake Micro-SD Cards (I Got Ripped Off)

Guys be very careful of the Micro SD cards you buy off of eBay and Craigslist. I can confidently say that more than half of them are probably fake. I recently bought one off of eBay for a 40 bucks and it was a 64 gb Micro Sd Card. I put it in my phone and noticed that it kept unmounting on me and had atrociously slow data transfer/read rates. Also pictures would not save onto it and the ones that did save would not open after. Upon further inspection and thanks to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuxOnHgs0c , I found that the one I bought on eBay was fake and demanded a return right away. So just watch out. You can also use this program to detect counterfeit or real by testing the specs of the storage unit you bought: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/.../H2testw.shtml

Superguy
Old
Thanks Meter 77
You're better off buying them locally or from reputable online shops.

If you have a MicroCenter close to you, they usually have good prices on flash memory. Only downside is they only go up to 32GB class 10 micro SD cards as of my last visit a couple weeks ago.

WhiteSRT69
Old
Thanks Meter 81
craigslist???

i would never

CyclingVinnie
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I think that goes without saying. Some things you should just buy from a shop ...... real shop
The Following User Says Thank You to CyclingVinnie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TipoF130
Old
Thanks Meter 13
These things aren't expensive, I don't know why you'd buy them second hand after spending the money on a new flagship phone. I've always bought Sandisk cards from actual camera shops like B&H and Adorama and have never had a problem.

YoungAceAtlanta
Old
Thanks Meter 152
When I'm shopping online I only trust one site for my electronic needs and that's Amazon. And when I'm shopping on Amazon I don't buy from any seller in China. I stick with Amazon fulfillment(aka Prime, ships directly from amazon warehouse) or a trusted seller

If your going to spend $40 just go to Amazon or Best Buy. Actually Amazon has a sale on SD cards. Save yourself like $20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Phone History/Current line up

Android:
Samsung Galaxy S5 - White
HTC One M8 - Gunmetal
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Nexus 10
iOS:
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0
iPad Mini iOS 6.X

twiggums
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAceAtlanta View Post
When I'm shopping online I only trust one site for my electronic needs and that's Amazon. And when I'm shopping on Amazon I don't buy from any seller in China. I stick with Amazon fulfillment(aka Prime, ships directly from amazon warehouse) or a trusted seller

If your going to spend $40 just go to Amazon or Best Buy. Actually Amazon has a sale on SD cards. Save yourself like $20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
+1

If you're going to buy anything online electronics based stick with reputable retailers. Amazon is great, newegg and microcenter are good as well. Ebay, craigslist, etc can be such a gamble when it comes to electronics it's really not worth it, if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

slapdaddy
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Best Buy will pricematch Amazon prices if you don't mind paying tax. But stick to reputable stores.

Ravenmtx
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Newegg or Micro Center if there's one near you

joyrida12
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
We have Best Buy and Frys here in Houston, for accessories I'll go try them at Best Buy and then buy it off Amazon or newegg. Frys, while it's great for electronics and computer parts, has a horrible selection of phone accessories. There's one micro center here but it's way too far from my side of town.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk