Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Whatsapp media

OP stluiz

29th April 2014, 08:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hey, is there a way to make whatsapp save media to sdcard instead of internal storage?
29th April 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Whatsapp does not support external SD card for storage.
29th April 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #3  
Flag Guatemala
Thanks Meter: 130

153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stluiz

Hey, is there a way to make whatsapp save media to sdcard instead of internal storage?

If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :
ln -s /storage/ExtSdCard/whatsapp /storage/sdcard0/whatsapp

reboot your phone and that should do it.
29th April 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDrake

If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :

I'm not that good with android and entering codes, how can I run the command using the phone?
I tried using folder mount but all it did was move the files and after that I couldn't open new media that came to me.

thanks a lot
Last edited by stluiz; 29th April 2014 at 11:30 PM.
30th April 2014, 06:08 AM   |  #5  
Flag Guatemala

153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stluiz

I'm not that good with android and entering codes, how can I run the command using the phone?
I tried using folder mount but all it did was move the files and after that I couldn't open new media that came to me.

thanks a lot

If you want to enter the command in the phone directly you'll need to download a terminal emulator from the play store and enter the same commands on the phone, while on the fodler where the original whatsapp folder was located at.
30th April 2014, 09:13 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 183

402 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Are you sure this will work? Linux doesn't normally allow cross-device symlinks. Does android behave differently in this regard?
30th April 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #7  
Flag Guatemala

153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX

Are you sure this will work? Linux doesn't normally allow cross-device symlinks. Does android behave differently in this regard?

soft links work on linux, it's hard links that are restricted, and even then, since the whole storage procedure is now emulated in android, it shouldn't be a problem

however, you just made me think of something, he'll need to re enable 3rd party write access to the sd card or he'll just keep getting I/O errors, that's disabled on KK by default, i used "NextApp SDFix" from the play store to do it on mine.
30th April 2014, 09:30 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 183

402 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

soft links work on linux, it's hard links that are restricted, and even then, since the whole storage procedure is now emulated in android, it shouldn't be a problem

however, you just made me think of something, he'll need to re enable 3rd party write access to the sd card or he'll just keep getting I/O errors, that's disabled on KK by default, i used "NextApp SDFix" from the play store to do it on mine.

Ah, you're right. I should have known that, otherwise how else would mount points work in general?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread