Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Whatsapp media

Tip us?
 
stluiz
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default [Q] Whatsapp media

Hey, is there a way to make whatsapp save media to sdcard instead of internal storage?
 
fredysb
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jan 2009
Whatsapp does not support external SD card for storage.
 
WarDrake
Old
#3  
WarDrake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 148
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Guatemala
Quote:
Originally Posted by stluiz View Post
Hey, is there a way to make whatsapp save media to sdcard instead of internal storage?
If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :
ln -s /storage/ExtSdCard/whatsapp /storage/sdcard0/whatsapp

reboot your phone and that should do it.
Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 / Galaxy S5 SM-G900H
Firmware Version : 4.4.2
Rom : CarbonRom Nightly / Stock 4.4.2
Kernel : Yank555-lu 1.5
Baseband : DLID
 
stluiz
Old
(Last edited by stluiz; 29th April 2014 at 10:30 PM.)
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDrake View Post
If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :
ln -s /storage/ExtSdCard/whatsapp /storage/sdcard0/whatsapp

reboot your phone and that should do it.
I'm not that good with android and entering codes, how can I run the command using the phone?
I tried using folder mount but all it did was move the files and after that I couldn't open new media that came to me.

thanks a lot
 
WarDrake
Old
#5  
WarDrake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 148
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Guatemala
Quote:
Originally Posted by stluiz View Post
I'm not that good with android and entering codes, how can I run the command using the phone?
I tried using folder mount but all it did was move the files and after that I couldn't open new media that came to me.

thanks a lot
If you want to enter the command in the phone directly you'll need to download a terminal emulator from the play store and enter the same commands on the phone, while on the fodler where the original whatsapp folder was located at.
Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 / Galaxy S5 SM-G900H
Firmware Version : 4.4.2
Rom : CarbonRom Nightly / Stock 4.4.2
Kernel : Yank555-lu 1.5
Baseband : DLID
 
BLuFeNiX
Old
#6  
BLuFeNiX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 180
Posts: 384
Join Date: Jan 2013

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDrake View Post
If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :
ln -s /storage/ExtSdCard/whatsapp /storage/sdcard0/whatsapp

reboot your phone and that should do it.
Are you sure this will work? Linux doesn't normally allow cross-device symlinks. Does android behave differently in this regard?
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)
 
WarDrake
Old
#7  
WarDrake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 148
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Guatemala
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX View Post
Are you sure this will work? Linux doesn't normally allow cross-device symlinks. Does android behave differently in this regard?
soft links work on linux, it's hard links that are restricted, and even then, since the whole storage procedure is now emulated in android, it shouldn't be a problem

however, you just made me think of something, he'll need to re enable 3rd party write access to the sd card or he'll just keep getting I/O errors, that's disabled on KK by default, i used "NextApp SDFix" from the play store to do it on mine.
Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 / Galaxy S5 SM-G900H
Firmware Version : 4.4.2
Rom : CarbonRom Nightly / Stock 4.4.2
Kernel : Yank555-lu 1.5
Baseband : DLID
 
BLuFeNiX
Old
#8  
BLuFeNiX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 180
Posts: 384
Join Date: Jan 2013

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDrake View Post
soft links work on linux, it's hard links that are restricted, and even then, since the whole storage procedure is now emulated in android, it shouldn't be a problem

however, you just made me think of something, he'll need to re enable 3rd party write access to the sd card or he'll just keep getting I/O errors, that's disabled on KK by default, i used "NextApp SDFix" from the play store to do it on mine.
Ah, you're right. I should have known that, otherwise how else would mount points work in general?
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more

Change the Alarm Icon in the Status Bar with Xposed

It’s hard to find a more hated object than your alarm clock. They wake us up nearly … more

Return to Outer Space Outer Space with Ship Up Game

Since the release of Flappy Birds, we’ve had the “fortune” to see … more

Device Review: OnePlus One

Seemingly every day, there are a bunch of new devices being released. Some are budget devices and some are … more