Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Coming from Samsung I'm confused

OP Shebee

30th April 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
I'm waiting to get my m8 in just a moment but I'm a little confused.
On Samsung you got the recovery, kernel and rom, that's about it. But what are the RUU files everybody is talking about? Also I'm a little unsure how to root and what s off enables me to do in practice.

Does the HTC follow the same concept?
I haven't found any popular topics on how to root the device yet.

Any help?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
30th April 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #2  
exocetdj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outer Mongolia
Thanks Meter: 2,435
 
3,585 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebee

I'm waiting to get my m8 in just a moment but I'm a little confused.
On Samsung you got the recovery, kernel and rom, that's about it. But what are the RUU files everybody is talking about? Also I'm a little unsure how to root and what s off enables me to do in practice.

Does the HTC follow the same concept?
I haven't found any popular topics on how to root the device yet.

Any help?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

M8 Bible

Pretty much the same, unlock bootloader at HTC Dev, install custom recovery then install rom. You can use firewater for s off, although this doesnt work for all m8s
30th April 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by exocetdj

M8 Bible

Pretty much the same, unlock bootloader at HTC Dev, install custom recovery then install rom. You can use firewater for s off, although this doesnt work for all m8s

Does unlocking the bootloader void warranty?
I read that s off most likely won't void it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
30th April 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #4  
exocetdj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outer Mongolia
Thanks Meter: 2,435
 
3,585 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebee

Does unlocking the bootloader void warranty?
I read that s off most likely won't void it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

you request a unlock token whih HTC will have a record of your request but there is no proof u would have used it to void warranty. most peeps will need to use this for s off anyway unless the temp root method works but i have heard from lots of people that is is not really an issue so u can return to stock 100% and warranty shouldn't be affected
30th April 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by exocetdj

you request a unlock token whih HTC will have a record of your request but there is no proof u would have used it to void warranty. most peeps will need to use this for s off anyway unless the temp root method works but i have heard from lots of people that is is not really an issue so u can return to stock 100% and warranty shouldn't be affected

Thanks, really helpful.
I don't quite understand RUU files though, are they just update packages, much like flashing a rom, what it the difference?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
30th April 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #6  
exocetdj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outer Mongolia
Thanks Meter: 2,435
 
3,585 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebee

Thanks, really helpful.
I don't quite understand RUU files though, are they just update packages, much like flashing a rom, what it the difference?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

RUUs are usually used to return to stock or update stock phones via PC. they flash ROM, kernel, firmware and stock recovery usually. they are rare as rocking horse sh#t now though but there us a thread with stock backups.
30th April 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #7  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,228
 
13,591 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebee

Thanks, really helpful.
I don't quite understand RUU files though, are they just update packages, much like flashing a rom, what it the difference?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

The RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) is the same as the Samsung firmware files (available on SamMobile) used to go back to 100% stock

The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes