Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 44,856 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Portable speakers for use in Car

Tip us?

mcbyte_it
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 263
Question Portable speakers for use in Car

might not sound true, but it is: my car does not have an audio system, and it is old that installing a system will cost me more than I want to spend now, so...

I am looking for portable speakers to use in the car, to install myself somewhere (separate speakers or a single block), that are either wired or bluetooth. but I want them to be loud enough to override the car noises.

Last year I got a Samsung YA-BS3000 blutetooth speaker (on a big sale), but returned them immediately because the volume was lower than my devices internal speaker.

What portable speakers can provide good sound volume and quality? 95% of the time I listen to podcasts, so I don't need music pro speakers.
I checked online and found good reviews about the JBL flip or JBL Micro II, but none of the reviews say if they are suitable for car usage.

I am ok to pay up to $100 or so for good speakers that can make my drive less annoying.

Any tips are welcome.

Device 1: OnePlus One 64GB (KK 4.4.2 | CM11s)
Device 2: Nexus 10 16GB (KK 4.4.4)
Other projects: ROM Stats v2.0 beta | weekly init.d scripts | Daily Free App @ Amazon (Europe SUPPORTED)

jRi0T68
Old
Thanks Meter 492
I'd consider getting one of those 12v lighter adaptors that lets you plug in standard electrical cords, and buy a non portable speaker that you can plug in to your phone via the 3.5mm aux jack.

You'll likely get the best boom for your buck that way.

Otherwise, I've used an iHome Bluetooth speaker that got decently loud for use even in a warehouse.

Alternatively, if volume is the problem, get a speaker you plug in via the aux, and buy a cheap headphone amp, like a Fiio E6 or E5.

Excreted from my Nexus 5
[Guide] Headphone/Earphone Buying

mcbyte_it
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRi0T68 View Post
I'd consider getting one of those 12v lighter adaptors that lets you plug in standard electrical cords, and buy a non portable speaker that you can plug in to your phone via the 3.5mm aux jack.

You'll likely get the best boom for your buck that way.

Otherwise, I've used an iHome Bluetooth speaker that got decently loud for use even in a warehouse.

Alternatively, if volume is the problem, get a speaker you plug in via the aux, and buy a cheap headphone amp, like a Fiio E6 or E5.

Excreted from my Nexus 5
[Guide] Headphone/Earphone Buying
Wow, thanks for the variety of solutions.
I went with the first idea, but went with a desktop/laptop speakers that are USB powered, bought for 10, and I have a lighter adapter to USB, and from the shop till home the sound was ok, now I have to install them with hidden cables and try.

will evaluate other ideas. and btw, I will read now your headphone buying guide....

Device 1: OnePlus One 64GB (KK 4.4.2 | CM11s)
Device 2: Nexus 10 16GB (KK 4.4.4)
Other projects: ROM Stats v2.0 beta | weekly init.d scripts | Daily Free App @ Amazon (Europe SUPPORTED)
Tags
portable speakers