Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,559 Members 40,653 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S3 mini video crashes

Tip us?

armadiljo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default [Q] S3 mini video crashes

Dear all,

Lately I experience a lot of crashes/problems playing video.

I'm using a s3 mini, with a quite up-to-date CM11 custom ROM. It's rooted, and in general it works rather smooth. The only thing, to maintain an acceptable battery life, I use greenify and Deep Sleep Battery Pro + some tasker stuff to finetune what I believe is necessary to run (or not) while sleeping of when display is off. (like: airplane mode at night, no wifi when I'm not at home).

My problems occur using MX Player as a video player.
(1) SHOULD H/W+ decoder work with CM11 on i8910?

Using H/W+ decoder for sure crashes MX Player from the moment it starts to play.
Using H/W decoder works when I don't touch any settings, but for sure it doesn't work all the time.
Playing video's on S/W decoder doesn't look reliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it causes major problems with video and sound not synchronized.

As I don't know for sure how it works:
(2) Is decoding done by firmware or by software I need to install myself? Are 'all' players using the same decoders?
(3) When I stream video's, it seems to work much better. Youtube or Plex, most of the time I can use it without problems. But since about a month, Plex is giving me more and more problems. Mostly video/audio not in sync / video's which just won't be played by plex. But I can't figure out if it's a Plex-related problem, a decoder-related problem or a problem with the original video-files.

Maybe logcat and MX Player-log in attachment can help.

Any advise with troubleshooting or finding a solution is welcome.

(4) Lately I read somewhere that video-crash could be an issue with CM11, which could be solved with going back to CM10.2 What do you think about that? And do you think CM10.2 can give the same overall mini-experience as CM11?

Thanks for reading and helping out.
Attached Files
File Type: gz log.txt.gz - [Click for QR Code] (15.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip 2014-04-29_17.40.zip - [Click for QR Code] (420.2 KB, 2 views)

GXGOW
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Location: /storage/sdcard1/Europe/Belgium/East-Flanders/Hamme
About H/W+ decoder, it never worked for me either ok anything based on CM 11.

Sent from Tapatalk on my GT-I8190 running Novafusion's Carbon 4.4.2