Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Steps for getting a custom ROM on ATT s4 with MF3?

Tip us?

AtlzBest26
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Steps for getting a custom ROM on ATT s4 with MF3?

Guys,

I am going to apologize in advance...the little time i have every day to scour the forums here...i have been trying to nail down all the steps and haven't really gotten a grasp on this so i am hoping someone can guide me instead of telling me to search (more)...
I have a AT&T S4 on 4.2.2 MF3
- that i have already rooted
- that i have soft unlocked to work on any carrier i.e. Ultra mobile (which i am currently using)
- i have safestrap installed on it

Goal: get rid of the nasty bloated ATT 4.2.2 replaced with a custom ROM 4.3, transfer all my apps and settings over

- I understand there is no boot unlocker so no custom recovery.
- I want to make sure the process is fail safe, i can go back if something goes wrong - what do i need to do to ensure that
- how do i get the custom rom installed? which one? i want no bloat + TouchWiz (i am thinking Echo Rom or CyanogenMod ?)
- how do i transfer all my apps and settings?
- will i loose my root and unlock?

I appreciate any step by step in advance!

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 583

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlzBest26 View Post
Guys,

I am going to apologize in advance...the little time i have every day to scour the forums here...i have been trying to nail down all the steps and haven't really gotten a grasp on this so i am hoping someone can guide me instead of telling me to search (more)...
I have a AT&T S4 on 4.2.2 MF3
- that i have already rooted
- that i have soft unlocked to work on any carrier i.e. Ultra mobile (which i am currently using)
- i have safestrap installed on it

Goal: get rid of the nasty bloated ATT 4.2.2 replaced with a custom ROM 4.3, transfer all my apps and settings over

- I understand there is no boot unlocker so no custom recovery.
- I want to make sure the process is fail safe, i can go back if something goes wrong - what do i need to do to ensure that
- how do i get the custom rom installed? which one? i want no bloat + TouchWiz (i am thinking Echo Rom or CyanogenMod ?)
- how do i transfer all my apps and settings?
- will i loose my root and unlock?

I appreciate any step by step in advance!
If you want to keep data, you need to remove Safestrap and make sure you haven't changed any system files. Otherwise, make a backup in Safestrap to external, reflash MF3, reroot, install SS, and restore only data. Then you take the OTA to MK2 after uninstalling Safestrap. You'll have to find the zip and adb sideload it yourself most likely. You can keep root by using SuperSU's survival mode or just use Saferoot afterwards. Then install Safestrap 3.72, and install a ROM. You can try to put your app data on the ROM slot you use, but you'll have to make sure you don't put in system data like for the system UI or you'll get force closes.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running BlackBox 3.0
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
Tags
step by step s4 mf3