Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 48,890 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sound turns off when tv is turned off

Tip us?

jpage101
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Sound turns off when tv is turned off

Hello all,

I have the FTV box going directly to my TV via the HDMI cable. I also have the FTV box going to my receiver via optical cable for audio.

I have the same setup for my cable box. There is no connection from TV to receiver.

In the past, with other devices (Roku, WDTV) I would play some content from Netflix or Amazon prime, but would then turn my TV off - leaving me with just audio. I do this at night because I like to listen to something as I go to sleep.

With the FTV, I have noticed as soon as I change to a different content source on my TV, or if I turn off my TV, the audio from the FTV stops. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this?

floepie
Old
Thanks Meter 341
Sounds like CEC HDMI communication between the FTV and your TV. When you turn one device off, the device that receives the signal to turn off tells the other device to turn off or go into standby. Maybe there's a setting in the FTV to turn that feature off? Or, you could probably disable it at the TV. Samsung has a different name for it (AnyNet or some such).
XDA needs a "2nd Post Wiki" automatically generated in each thread. Such a thread wiki has proven effective on other sites to cut down on useless thread clutter and questions which have been answered repeatedly. The idea is simple. A community-editable wiki is inserted immediately beneath the OP to address current issues relating to the topic. Most OP/devs don't have the time to continually update their OP to address ongoing issues. Let's let the community do that for them!
The Following User Says Thank You to floepie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kario
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpage101 View Post
Hello all,

I have the FTV box going directly to my TV via the HDMI cable. I also have the FTV box going to my receiver via optical cable for audio.

I have the same setup for my cable box. There is no connection from TV to receiver.

In the past, with other devices (Roku, WDTV) I would play some content from Netflix or Amazon prime, but would then turn my TV off - leaving me with just audio. I do this at night because I like to listen to something as I go to sleep.

With the FTV, I have noticed as soon as I change to a different content source on my TV, or if I turn off my TV, the audio from the FTV stops. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this?
Connect the fire TV via optical out....this will continue to play the audio when you turn the TV off. Have not tried this with ftv but I have a similar situation with my windowshtpc.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jpage101
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post
Sounds like CEC HDMI communication between the FTV and your TV. When you turn one device off, the device that receives the signal to turn off tells the other device to turn off or go into standby. Maybe there's a setting in the FTV to turn that feature off? Or, you could probably disable it at the TV. Samsung has a different name for it (AnyNet or some such).
Thank you very much. That was it. I disabled it at the TV level. It's called "Power Link" on Panasonic TV's.