Battery cover

OP porthole

30th April 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

46 posts
So, I got a white s5 from my T-Mobile store. It has the hard perforated battery cover. However, a few days after I was in a radioshack looking around and I saw grey s5 (I think Sprint) and the battery cover was the soft "leathery" perforated back. So, I immediately assumed that it was only the grey s5's that had the soft back.

But I called the local T-Mobile store and they told me that all T-Mobile s5's have the hard battery cover. Every review I read they mention the soft faux leather that these phones have (just like the note 3).

Bottom line is,I used to have the note 3 and I really like the soft leathery feel because it seems grippier to me. I feel like this hard back will slip out of my hands. Now before everyone tells me to go get a cover, I don't like covers. I like the feel of a plain phone.

My question is, is this true that T-Mobile is the only one with the hard back? I've looked and it seems like I could buy a replacement back, but do all of the carriers battery covers fit? Are they all the same size and dimension?

Thanks.
30th April 2014, 05:32 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole

So, I got a white s5 from my T-Mobile store. It has the hard perforated battery cover. However, a few days after I was in a radioshack looking around and I saw grey s5 (I think Sprint) and the battery cover was the soft "leathery" perforated back. So, I immediately assumed that it was only the grey s5's that had the soft back.

But I called the local T-Mobile store and they told me that all T-Mobile s5's have the hard battery cover. Every review I read they mention the soft faux leather that these phones have (just like the note 3).

Bottom line is,I used to have the note 3 and I really like the soft leathery feel because it seems grippier to me. I feel like this hard back will slip out of my hands. Now before everyone tells me to go get a cover, I don't like covers. I like the feel of a plain phone.

My question is, is this true that T-Mobile is the only one with the hard back? I've looked and it seems like I could buy a replacement back, but do all of the carriers battery covers fit? Are they all the same size and dimension?

Thanks.

I have the grey S5 from TMo and it has the soft "leathery" backing. I can't say that I have seen an S5 without the soft back, but I also never have paid much attention to the white ones when looking at them in person. Do you have a picture of your phone backing?
The Following User Says Thank You to epsilon022 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2014, 05:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

46 posts
Well now I feel ripped off. I'll add a picture, but I'm not sure you can tell from the picture how it feels.
30th April 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #4  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 196

979 posts
More
Quote:

Well now I feel ripped off. I'll add a picture, but I'm not sure you can tell from the picture how it feels.

The white one feels different than all the rest. Doesn't matter the carrier

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th April 2014, 07:00 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

46 posts
I appreciate the input. I'm just mad at the salesperson I spoke to on the phone that said they are all the same. I'm now over my 14 day exchange limit. I would have paid the $50 fee to exchange if I would've known earlier. Oh well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
30th April 2014, 07:55 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 183

399 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

I appreciate the input. I'm just mad at the salesperson I spoke to on the phone that said they are all the same. I'm now over my 14 day exchange limit. I would have paid the $50 fee to exchange if I would've known earlier. Oh well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

But hey, since the color seems to be the determining factor in the battery cover material, maybe you could just buy a replacement battery cover of a different color? It might look a little funny though.
30th April 2014, 12:26 PM   |  #7  
Flag Akron, Oh
Thanks Meter: 140

652 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX

But hey, since the color seems to be the determining factor in the battery cover material, maybe you could just buy a replacement battery cover of a different color? It might look a little funny though.

Ditto this. As I remember, they sold all kinds for the S4. It should be easy enough to find a suitable replacement. Myself, I had to put a case on it to give it some bulk and grip.
30th April 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

181 posts
So you would have paid $50 to switch phones for the battery cover? For that money you can buy whatever cover you want online.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
30th April 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

46 posts
Yeah,I probably would. I like the leathery feel (despite some people). I haven't seen many cases like it. I'm sure there are some like it, but at least I know what I'm getting into rather than spotting one online and not knowing what it's like until I get it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread