Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,672 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery cover

Tip us?

porthole
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Battery cover

So, I got a white s5 from my T-Mobile store. It has the hard perforated battery cover. However, a few days after I was in a radioshack looking around and I saw grey s5 (I think Sprint) and the battery cover was the soft "leathery" perforated back. So, I immediately assumed that it was only the grey s5's that had the soft back.

But I called the local T-Mobile store and they told me that all T-Mobile s5's have the hard battery cover. Every review I read they mention the soft faux leather that these phones have (just like the note 3).

Bottom line is,I used to have the note 3 and I really like the soft leathery feel because it seems grippier to me. I feel like this hard back will slip out of my hands. Now before everyone tells me to go get a cover, I don't like covers. I like the feel of a plain phone.

My question is, is this true that T-Mobile is the only one with the hard back? I've looked and it seems like I could buy a replacement back, but do all of the carriers battery covers fit? Are they all the same size and dimension?

Thanks.

epsilon022
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
So, I got a white s5 from my T-Mobile store. It has the hard perforated battery cover. However, a few days after I was in a radioshack looking around and I saw grey s5 (I think Sprint) and the battery cover was the soft "leathery" perforated back. So, I immediately assumed that it was only the grey s5's that had the soft back.

But I called the local T-Mobile store and they told me that all T-Mobile s5's have the hard battery cover. Every review I read they mention the soft faux leather that these phones have (just like the note 3).

Bottom line is,I used to have the note 3 and I really like the soft leathery feel because it seems grippier to me. I feel like this hard back will slip out of my hands. Now before everyone tells me to go get a cover, I don't like covers. I like the feel of a plain phone.

My question is, is this true that T-Mobile is the only one with the hard back? I've looked and it seems like I could buy a replacement back, but do all of the carriers battery covers fit? Are they all the same size and dimension?

Thanks.
I have the grey S5 from TMo and it has the soft "leathery" backing. I can't say that I have seen an S5 without the soft back, but I also never have paid much attention to the white ones when looking at them in person. Do you have a picture of your phone backing?
The Following User Says Thank You to epsilon022 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

porthole
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well now I feel ripped off. I'll add a picture, but I'm not sure you can tell from the picture how it feels.

philliman
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Well now I feel ripped off. I'll add a picture, but I'm not sure you can tell from the picture how it feels.
The white one feels different than all the rest. Doesn't matter the carrier

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

porthole
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I appreciate the input. I'm just mad at the salesperson I spoke to on the phone that said they are all the same. I'm now over my 14 day exchange limit. I would have paid the $50 fee to exchange if I would've known earlier. Oh well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

BLuFeNiX
Old
Thanks Meter 178

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I appreciate the input. I'm just mad at the salesperson I spoke to on the phone that said they are all the same. I'm now over my 14 day exchange limit. I would have paid the $50 fee to exchange if I would've known earlier. Oh well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
But hey, since the color seems to be the determining factor in the battery cover material, maybe you could just buy a replacement battery cover of a different color? It might look a little funny though.
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

Sheldor1967
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX View Post
But hey, since the color seems to be the determining factor in the battery cover material, maybe you could just buy a replacement battery cover of a different color? It might look a little funny though.
Ditto this. As I remember, they sold all kinds for the S4. It should be easy enough to find a suitable replacement. Myself, I had to put a case on it to give it some bulk and grip.
T-Mobile Sammy S5 on AT&T (T-Mo blows near me), because the M8's camera wasn't enough...

previous:
HTC One
S4
HTC Rezound
HTC Incredible
also
Nexus 7 Wifi
Nexus 7 (2013) Wifi

dpshptl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
So you would have paid $50 to switch phones for the battery cover? For that money you can buy whatever cover you want online.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

porthole
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yeah,I probably would. I like the leathery feel (despite some people). I haven't seen many cases like it. I'm sure there are some like it, but at least I know what I'm getting into rather than spotting one online and not knowing what it's like until I get it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk