Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,216 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can the LG-E988(LG G PRO) LTE frequency of 1800mhz Be Changed To LTE 2100mhz?

Tip us?

jrtancinco
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Bro, unfortunately LTE Band is hardware-variant-dependent and cannot be changed through software. The E988 variant only works on Globe LTE which is 1800mhz (B3), unfortunately you have to subscribe to 1 of their expensive postpaid plans to use LTE. I myself have a SMART prepaid LTE sim, and so I bought an AT&T E980 which has a 2100mhz LTE frequency, but what I failed to realize is E980 uses Band 4. SMART LTE only works on 2100mhz Band 1, so I am unable to use Smart LTE on E980 also. The only G Pro variant capable for Smart LTE is the korean F240L.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrtancinco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chipmunk888
Old
(Last edited by Chipmunk888; 1st May 2014 at 03:00 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
@ hyel

thanks. that's sad to know...

@ jrtancinco

thank you for the in-dept information bro. yes, i heard i can connect to Smart LTE thru their postpaid plan using my E988. Kinda confusing why there is so called Band 1, thought 2100mhz is enough.. I prefer the Smart due to Globe signal here in my place sucks big time. might as well buy a separate pocket LTE wifi, and keep this fast and amazing LG G PRO

------------------

*** UPDATE - i have tested three units of high end android phones (Samsung S4, LG G PRO, & Samsung Note 3) using postpaid LTE SIM in an unlimited Smart LTE Plan inside one location, versus a dedicated LTE Pocket Wifi; Result is, all the three high-end handsets have far lower speeds of the LTE compared to the LTE Pocket Wifi had delivered. Seems the LTE pocket wifi device has the dedicated hardware for more power and reach compared to a LTE built-in capability of a phone.

I now can conclude that its better to use a 'dedicated' LTE pocket wifi device than the built-in LTE of a smartphone handset if you want better LTE speed throughput.

-
Newbie Me