Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,346 Members 47,150 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SAR levels

Tip us?

NeoCreator
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default SAR levels

A few words about SAR. Phone has body 0.62W/kg and head 0.75W/kg SAR levels.

Info from Carl (admin OPO forum) http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/on...1/#post-289699

FuMMoD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2215

DONATE TO ME
I had no idea what this was so I googled it.

Quote:
WHAT IS SAR AND WHAT IS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT?

SAR (specific absorption rate) is an indication of the amount of radiation that is absorbed into a head whilst using a cellular phone, the higher the SAR rating the more radiation that is absorbed into the head.

SPECIFIC ABSORPTION RATE (SAR)

A SAR value is a measure of the maximum energy absorbed by a unit of mass of exposed tissue of a person using a mobile phone, over a given time or more simply the power absorbed per unit mass. SAR values are usually expressed in units of watts per kilogram (W/kg) in either 1g or 10g of tissue.

EXPOSURE LIMITS

In Europe, the European Council Recommendation 519/1999/EC for exposure guidelines has adopted the recommendations made by the International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP Guidelines 1998). In the US, the FCC, Federal Communications Commission, sets the radio frequency safety guidelines that all phones must meet before being sold in the US. Current reference standards and limits (status January 2001).

.breath
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have no idea if this is good or bad? how is it compared to other phones?

extrem0
Old
Thanks Meter 289
I think it's good.
Sensation 4G // CM10.1 AOSP 4.2.2 Jellybean by albinoman887

myTouch 4G [bad emmc&screen] // Dark Jelly Belly v.2 w/ Frosted Cherry Kernel -- sold

Milestone A853 // CyanogenMod 7.2.4e by kabaldan

Wisiwyg
Old
Thanks Meter 61
As reference, I looked up the SAR of several phones... Samsung Galaxy SIII i535 (CDMA. VZW) had an overall rating of 1.29 US / 0.88 EU. Note the US and EU measure them differently. The US legal limit is 2.0. The source did not differentiate 'head' or 'body". source: http://sarshield.com/radiation-chart/
They're selling a radiation shield to help prevent exposure and it benefits them to provide lots of information - so take this with a grain of salt. It is very difficult to find comprehensive lists because the manufacturers would rather not have to publish this information. Lots of issues related to radiation exposure potentially causing brain cancer. Kind of like the cigarette manufacturers - smoking didn't cause cancer, no need to worry, nothing to see here, move along.

You make your own choices...
OnePlus One/64 - Stock, Bootloader Locked and Rooted! (You DON'T need to Unlock Bootloader to Root!)
VZW Galaxy S3 - ROM: Rooted TW 4.3, Radio: I535VRBML1, Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
Google Nexus 10 - ROM: CM 11, Kernel: Stock, Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
Retired: EVO 4G