Post Reply

[Q] bricked Nook

OP fyrmd

22nd April 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
I was in fastboot, trying to update my CWM. I deleted the old CWM, and didn't get the new one put in apparently. Now I just get the N screen, can't get anything else? Any suggestions?

The Nook was running CM10.2 internally before I messed it up.
22nd April 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #2  
macrossmerrell's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Idaho Falls
Thanks Meter: 33
 
151 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
More
You need to make a CWM recovery SD Card and flash from there. There should be instructions in this forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
22nd April 2014, 03:17 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
I tried that, but the Nook doesn't seem to be looking at the SD card. I am going to try a different one tomorrow.
23rd April 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 25
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Trust me, you can't brick a nook. I did something far worse than you--I deleted the entire partition table of the NT and I still recovered it with a bootable SD. Make sure the LVM and bootable flags are set if you used gparted to flash the SD image.
25th April 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
84 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmd

I tried that, but the Nook doesn't seem to be looking at the SD card. I am going to try a different one tomorrow.

there's a certain percantage (10% - 20% ) of NOOK tablets that wont boot off the SD card unless you

stick the card in with the unit off
and then
plug the charging cable into the unit

it's called a "tethered boot"

it's something to do with the hardware and the timing of the boot cycle.
30th April 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #6  
petewr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeataol

there's a certain percantage (10% - 20% ) of NOOK tablets that wont boot off the SD card unless you

stick the card in with the unit off
and then
plug the charging cable into the unit

it's called a "tethered boot"

it's something to do with the hardware and the timing of the boot cycle.


Along these same lines:

hook up your nook to it's data/charge cable and the cable into a USB port on your computer.

does your nook show up in the "This PC' panel on the left of your file explorer window? If so, just open it up in file explorer and just simply drop your recovery.img onto that windows root directory.
1st May 2014, 01:41 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 419
 
1,379 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmd

I was in fastboot, trying to update my CWM. I deleted the old CWM, and didn't get the new one put in apparently. Now I just get the N screen, can't get anything else? Any suggestions?

The Nook was running CM10.2 internally before I messed it up.

You can use SD-based recovery to flash a flashable CWM recovery zip available at https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xjw...ll/Nook_Tablet.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewr

Along these same lines:

hook up your nook to it's data/charge cable and the cable into a USB port on your computer.

does your nook show up in the "This PC' panel on the left of your file explorer window? If so, just open it up in file explorer and just simply drop your recovery.img onto that windows root directory.

recovery.img needs to be in the /recovery partition which is not mounted and accessible as the "root directory" as suggested.
Last edited by digixmax; 1st May 2014 at 01:44 AM.
1st May 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #8  
petewr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by digixmax

You can use SD-based recovery to flash a flashable CWM recovery zip available at https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xjw...ll/Nook_Tablet.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------


recovery.img needs to be in the /recovery partition which is not mounted and accessible as the "root directory" as suggested.

Fine.
Worked for me.
However that may be, then just install your sdcard in the nook and drop it into that root partition.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes