Retitled. How to hose your phone in 35 easy steps. :)

Search This thread

tommy24

Jul 6, 2010
M7 is a different beast and may have had more matured understanding by the time you played with international ROM.
And there were problems on M7 going back and forth for a while.

I suspect that is where yours went south. It may have been running fine on insert coin's but how many folks have tried to come back to a Native Sprint ROM or the Harman Firmware / ROM?

A developer might do tweaks to support coming from another flavor. But the Native ROM's might not know how to "undo it".

So when did yours go south?

Mine might have been hosed when I put the first PRL on (and was running fine and I likewise did that all the time on M7), but it didn't really wet itself until weeks later when I went to switch to Harmon Firmware/Bad Boys and I did an update Profile.

I don't know exactly where it went wrong. But I suspect it was something like that.

But you can't assume your "Ok" just because something is working now. Until you try to do other things that depend on certain things being there and in the right place.

I'd ask the insertcoin developer what he did to make his ROM compatible and it might give a hint on how to fix it.

I could be completely off base. But I suspect this is the case.

I have an idea, if someone can give a clean nandroid that might fix things.

Reactions: dogcmp6

dogcmp6

Sep 18, 2010

I agree, we need a clean nandroid and stock recovery, as for the data issues, my phone is an HT serial number, and I am having the same issues of delayed texts, missed calls, and no data, Sprint tech support told me it was the tower near my house causing my problems, and I fully believe them, because my phone functions fine when I am out of range of that tower, so I believe our issues are mostly network related

PolarWind

Jul 22, 2010
I can't say I've had issues to this extreme, I have noticed on my M8 that the signal appears to be weaker than it should be.

My old EVO LTE and my GF's M7 both have full LTE signal at my house, but my M8 only shows 3 bars.

I am rooted with S-off, I have updated firmware via Captain's thread on themikmik. And I am also running Captain's 2707 TWRP as well as his stock rooted rom. (the captain trifecta? lol)

My serial also starts with FA - I'm still within my 14 day return policy. Think I should revert to stock and try to trade it out?

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
I talked to Sprint earlier and they said they didn't see any tower related issues, but my phone showed an abnormally high call drop percentage, she was in the middle of telling me to take it to get looked at when I dropped the call, imagine that, haha

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I talked to Sprint earlier and they said they didn't see any tower related issues, but my phone showed an abnormally high call drop percentage, she was in the middle of telling me to take it to get looked at when I dropped the call, imagine that, haha
Sounds just like my first M8. That first batch must've had quite a few lemons in it.

Reactions: metalfan78

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston

Sorry but I don't believe that will help. Nandroid mostly backs up the Android side of things, not the phone side.

The firmware is phone side. Along with all it's programming for your carrier. That doesn't get backed up and restored.

What we need, that might help, is a STOCK RUU. But that does not rewrite the carrier programming. which might be hosed.

But in your case, since the Harman RUU didn't make yours a Harman something is really messed up.

The problem with the OTA firmware (closest thing we have to stock) is, I don't think it's complete and I don't think it fully reverts the Harman firmware.

I'm not sure if by definition, all RUU's have a complete set of firmware.

The Captain does have a full dump of stock, but I don't think it's easy to make that flashable. We usually wait for an RUU leak.

Make sure you have Total Equipment Protection on your phone in case you need to "Lose it" ;) You have up to 30 days to add it.

Last edited:

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
That's what Sprint said about mine, it is constantly roaming. I'm going to the store today and I damn well better get a new one. This one isn't even a month old.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
That's what Sprint said about mine, it is constantly roaming. I'm going to the store today and I damn well better get a new one. This one isn't even a month old.

Believe me I've tried 3 stores. They refuse to give me a new one. Even though the person I'm talking to agrees I should get a new one.

I'm just crossing my fingers the replacement one is new. I won't sweat it until it's an issue.

I have to wonder if the phones were not all setup correctly and it's not until you do things like Profile Updates/Factory resets etc. they get hosed.

Make sure you have T.E.P. I didn't and they suggested I add it immediately and did.

Last edited:

wytecaztle

Mar 27, 2008
Atlanta
Funny thing is Sprint takes no stance on rooting and can AE a device even if it is bricked. The only exception if it is a brand new device and within that 14day period. Sprint Repair ASC's will order a replacement regardless of the root or not.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
Just finished at the Sprint store. The tech said the phone is fine. I call Sprint back and they say the phone is defective. I'm just about done with Sprint.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Just finished at the Sprint store. The tech said the phone is fine. I call Sprint back and they say the phone is defective. I'm just about done with Sprint.
This is why I'm glad I got rid of mine in the first 14 days, and also why I'm glad I'm on a business account, because they'll do basically whatever I suggest (over the phone).

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
Yea, I wasted time, I figured that they were working on a tower, but then the issue got worse and more frequent. I'm a little annoyed.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
This is why I'm glad I got rid of mine in the first 14 days, and also why I'm glad I'm on a business account, because they'll do basically whatever I suggest (over the phone).

So Captain, do you still have an M8 on your business account?

I wish I knew if this is a Sprint issue or an HTC issue. Because I'm tempted to just sell the replacement and get an S5. But reviews are not great and have hints of similar issues.

I'm sure most of you have seen this thread. Looks like it has nothing to with Firmware, Flashing and what not. It just happens. Frequently just after 14 days ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2731529

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
So Captain, do you still have an M8 on your business account?

I wish I knew if this is a Sprint issue or an HTC issue. Because I'm tempted to just sell the replacement and get an S5. But reviews are not great and have hints of similar issues.

I'm sure most of you have seen this thread. Looks like it has nothing to with Firmware, Flashing and what not. It just happens. Frequently just after 14 days ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2731529
Yes my main line is my work phone, and my main phone is my M8.

I think I exacerbated my phone's issues by soft bricking it (thankfully) so I was able to get my replacement on the 14th day, which was brand new.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Yea, I wasted time, I figured that they were working on a tower, but then the issue got worse and more frequent. I'm a little annoyed.

FYI, the tech I went to the 2nd time actually pulled up my data and could show I was getting unusually high dropped calls.
I was worried it was running "too good" at the store. But he was convinced it was not right.

We also went outside for 4G. Toggled Airplane mode and his immediately connected. Mine took a long time and went 3G.

He and his coworker had the same phone. And he knew how it should behave.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Is this what your network settings look like?

After poking a lot on my phone, my phone was like this for a bit.

All it means is that you are not activated.

Try Dialing ##72786# (you may need MSL)

If that fails

Try Dialing ##786# (you will need MSL). This will wipe everything, Data and Profile.

I like having a Stock Recovery when I use ##786#. If you've already run Harman RUU, run it again then do ##786# I wouldn't recommend using RUU just to get Stock Recovery.

Reactions: tommy24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had to get my first M8 replaced because it was roaming all the time. My second one is much better :). Sounds like you have a bad one like my first one. I returned mine within the first 14 days to get a no-questions-asked replacement for full refund.
    As a sprint tech I can tell you 100% of the M8's that have come in to my store that I've replaced have been better the second time around. Seems like there were some lemons in the first batch. You'd better take it in to get exchanged or break it to get a replacement soon(lol) because as of today we were ordering new replacements, soon it'll be refurbs once there is stock in the warehouse.
    I don't understand if u don't want the roaming guard to sound just uncheck it on the settings. If you have trouble with your settings dial *#*#4636#*#* and select phone information scroll down and select the option cdma+evdo/lte then reboot and check if that help. Then again u should be aware of this
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701255 just in case u r not.
    Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I believe the serial number indicates the distribution center from which the device was produced. I saw mention of it in the Firewater thread when people were trying to figure out why it worked on some devices and not on others.
    Serial number for my phone started with FA. Ordered it after watching the unveiling, got it two days later.

Haven't had a single problem with the phone as far as software, and no hardware issues like defects.

Guess I'm just lucky.

Knock in wood taking the firmware update on H/K ROM doesn't change things down the line.