Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB confusion (mass storage/adb link setup)

Tip us?

Stilez
Old
(Last edited by Stilez; 20th March 2014 at 02:59 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Storage [Q] USB confusion (mass storage/adb link setup)

Edited following @Shawnsch's post, as I referred to MTP/PTP as "mass storage" which might be true but is confusing

I just got a Moto G (XT1032) 3 days ago. Like my previous phone, I've rooted/CWM/CM11. I'm getting pretty confused because the PC to USB link side of things isn't going smoothly like my previous phone did. I'm probably just confused, but not sure where I'm muddled, and I need things set out clearly.

On my old phone/firmware (Samsung + 2.3.x / CM7.2), I installed a manufacturers' USB driver (Win7 or Win8 x64) and ADB on the PC side. The phone then presented itself on connecting as a mass storage device and was assigned a letter, and also responded to adb if that was used too. On the phone side a USB icon appeared in the status bar when connected.

Fast forward to my new Moto G and... yeah, chaos. Sorry if this is a bit of a brain dump, I'm confused myself.

I got the basics fine - Motorola x64 drivers (Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_64bit.msi, 3533312 bytes) and TechGlen's adb/fastboot (v1.1.3). They both work as I've had adb install and file copying both working at different times, and unlocking+flashing was fine. But I'm not getting a stable situation where I can use both (MP or PTP) and adb. When I get the device recognised in "My Computer", it takes forever (with driver uninstall/reinstalls and pure luck) to get adb back again; once adb's working it's a nightmare getting Windows Explorer file transfer working again. I'm in and out of device manager and rebooting - I'm sure something's not done as it should be but what?

Each time I re-install the devices I get several kinds of device/driver it "knows" about - ADB Interface and Android device are both listed, but each has several drivers to choose from (Android ADB, Android composite adb, Mot composite adb, Mot single adb,and several others). I have no idea which to use or the differences between them. Sometimes it says "drivers not installed" with a yellow mark, but other times it says "this device doesn't need drivers" instead. Right now Device Manager shows both an Android device and an "Other devices->Motorola ADB interface" (The 2nd of those has "drivers not installed" although surely I've installed them many times now), and MTP/PTP aren't working since, although it audio-alerts on the phone and pops up in device manager, and sometimes I get the "driver installing" taskbar item, no storage device appears under "My Computer".

When I did get them working, the Moto no longer lists as a drive with a letter, it's listed as some kind of media device instead, so some software and disk management utils can't access it. It appears instead at the bottom of "my computer" as a separate kind of item. I also can't find how to enable/disable/control the USB connection in CM11. On my previous phone there was a clear status bar icon.

My questions are:
  1. Which drivers and setup should I be using, to get Windows Explorer recognition and adb to both work smoothly? Is there a difference between an adb connection and a MTP/PTP connection in CM11 (by which I mean, do I need to "change mode" between them or can they both be used in parallel?)
  2. Where is the usb status bar icon, and how do I disconnect/reconnect/turn on+off USB at the phone end
  3. Can the Moto appear as a "regular" drive letter so that disk management tools with USB disk capability can act properly on it?

Thanks!!

Shawnsch
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I believe mass storage mode is gone now

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Stilez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnsch View Post
I believe mass storage mode is gone now
Yeah - referring to MTP/PTP as "mass storage" wasn't a good idea. I corrected my use of "mass storage" in the OP so people reading this won't get misinformed.

Odd thing I found as well - I got one machine to connect - if I put it in MTP mode it'll be recognised in Explorer but not ADB, and if I switch the Moto to PTP mode then ADB will not recognise it but Explorer won't.

androidsatti
Old
Thanks Meter 1
hi ihave problem with mtp driver in moto g.pls help