Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,780 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GSAM root companion just bricked my M8!

Tip us?

mbcastle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] GSAM root companion just bricked my M8!

I installed the GSAM battery monitor root companion. When it asked me to reboot I pressed reboot. Screen then froze and then went black when I hit the power button. Phone is now dead and unresponsive. No lights when plugged into the charger. Sound does play when phone is connected to the computer, and shows in device manager as Android Phone under Other Devices and HTC One_M8 under Portable Devices, which makes me think I can bring it back, but so far no luck. Phone is rooted and s-off.

mbcastle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Phone finally restarted after what seemed like an eternity. I was pressing combinations of the power and volume buttons, and I'm not sure if it was something I did or if the phone just finally rebooted on its own. I wasn't completely freaking because the phone was still showing as HTC_One_M8 in device manager, and not QHSUSB_DLOAD or something like that, but in any event that was pretty scary. GSAM root companion tells me it's now property installed. I've seen at least one other post in the reviews for the app of something like this happening to someone else, so I don't think it's just me.

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcastle View Post
Phone finally restarted after what seemed like an eternity. I was pressing combinations of the power and volume buttons, and I'm not sure if it was something I did or if the phone just finally rebooted on its own. I wasn't completely freaking because the phone was still showing as HTC_One_M8 in device manager, and not QHSUSB_DLOAD or something like that, but in any event that was pretty scary. GSAM root companion tells me it's now property installed. I've seen at least one other post in the reviews for the app of something like this happening to someone else, so I don't think it's just me.
Next time you brick, hold vol up and power for 10 seconds with phone unplugged. Then either power on or hold power and vol down to enter boot loader. This works best when not plugged in.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mbcastle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks. I was trying to remember the key combo for a simulated battery pull, and I guess power+volume up is it. I think that's what I was doing when it finally restarted.

czerwinski76
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
Next time you brick, hold vol up and power for 10 seconds with phone unplugged. Then either power on or hold power and vol down to enter boot loader. This works best when not plugged in.
Thank you !
You saved my life, I had the same problem !