CyanogenMod 12.1 for Android One

Android One devices once again got a pretty stable release of Android 5.1. XDA Recognized … more

DexPatcher: Patch Android APKs Using Java

You’ve probably seen or installed modified applications, be it a patched dialer for your … more

Is Cloud Storage Ready to Replace External Storage?

With more and more OEMs ditching SD cards on their flagships, cloud storage is … more

Customized Ultra Stamina for Xperia

XDA Senior Member androidexpert35 has provided us a customized Ultra Stamine Mode from the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

HTC Ruby have 4G?

26th April 2014, 05:42 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
22 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
hi, Does HTC Amaze international version have 4G feature in it? Because as i came to know HTC Amaze 4G was made for T-Mobile and Telus only.
26th April 2014, 09:02 AM |#2  
Odysseus1962's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 459
 
559 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwr44ever

hi, Does HTC Amaze international version have 4G feature in it? Because as i came to know HTC Amaze 4G was made for T-Mobile and Telus only.

No version of the Amaze is truly 4G. It was simply a marketing term by several North American GSM carriers so they could compete against carriers which were then beginning to deploy truly 4G LTE service. In reality, the Amaze is a 3G HSDPA+ handset that can operate at 42Mbps, which is the fastest rate any North American GSM / WCDMA carrier operates. Now all North American carriers are offering or are upgrading to 4G LTE. The other versions of the Amaze have the same capabilities, but those carriers didn't market it as 4G either because of local laws defining what can be called 4G or because their service wasn't capable of data transmission at HSDPA+ 42Mbps speeds.

I hope this clarified things.
Last edited by Odysseus1962; 26th April 2014 at 09:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus1962 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2014, 09:13 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag San Pedro
Thanks Meter: 175
 
533 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
Amaze international.
Amaze supports these radio modes:
WCDMA / HSPA+ 42 (3G / 4G)
850 Cellular / band 5 (V) Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
1700 AWS / band 4 (IV) Americas
1900 PCS / band 2 (II) Americas
2100 IMT / band 1 (I) Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

GSM (2G)
850 Cellular Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
900 Europe, Asia, Africa
1800 DCS Europe, Asia, Africa
1900 PCS Americas

It also supports data at these speeds:
HSDPA, 42 Mbps; HSUPA
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3448

Here's my understanding--the Amaze is technically not a 4G handset, as it supports only up to HSPA+, which is not by the standards considered 4G, but only an improvement on 3G. However, 42Mbps is a huge improvement on 3G thus giving the speed one might expect someday on a 4G network, but not providing a true upgrade path towards the standards imposed on a 4G network.
In simplest terms, the Amaze has a very fast radio, but is not technically 4G.
To complicate things, the standards have been changed to call T-Mobile's HSPA+ network a 4G network:
http://www.tmonews.com/2010/12/hspa-...ording-to-itu/

This doesn't yet answer your question.
In my understanding, there was no crippled version of the Amaze 4G marketed, such that ALL Amazes had ALL radio frequencies available.

So then, if your provider sends data over any of the aforementioned frequencies, you can receive it, at the speeds at which they send it providing suitable reception, and not any faster than 42Mbps.

Here is a list of HSPA+ networks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HSPA%2B_networks.

Someone else here can tell you if you should update your radio firmware or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to pbergonzi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2014, 02:56 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
22 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Thumbs up Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1962

No version of the Amaze is truly 4G. It was simply a marketing term by several North American GSM carriers so they could compete against carriers which were then beginning to deploy truly 4G LTE service. In reality, the Amaze is a 3G HSDPA+ handset that can operate at 42Mbps, which is the fastest rate any North American GSM / WCDMA carrier operates. Now all North American carriers are offering or are upgrading to 4G LTE. The other versions of the Amaze have the same capabilities, but those carriers didn't market it as 4G either because of local laws defining what can be called 4G or because their service wasn't capable of data transmission at HSDPA+ 42Mbps speeds.

I hope this clarified things.

Yeah this clarify a lot of things
Thanks for replying.
27th April 2014, 07:49 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwr44ever

Yeah this clarify a lot of things
Thanks for replying.


not "true" 4g- but neither is current LTE speeds. "Official" 4G is rated for 100mbs and nobody has that.

but on my amaze, with H20 wireless $30 plan, i get 7mbs download, 1.5mbs upload. its faster then my dsl!
1st May 2014, 04:31 PM |#6  
Odysseus1962's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 459
 
559 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by resinis

not "true" 4g- but neither is current LTE speeds. "Official" 4G is rated for 100mbs and nobody has that.

but on my amaze, with H20 wireless $30 plan, i get 7mbs download, 1.5mbs upload. its faster then my dsl!

4G stands for "4th generation" (of mobile data transmission protocols). It's not the speed that makes a device "4G" it's the technology being used. Which is why the Amaze isn't a "4G" device no matter how fast its data transfer speeds are, or how much the marketing wings of the large mobile telecom carriers try to convince the public. The Amaze achieves it's "4G" speeds using older "3G" HSDPA / UTMS / WCDMA technology. LTE however, is a "4th" gen technology. Companies which use it may not yet be able to achieve it's maximum bandwidth potential, but this doesn't make that technology any less "4G".
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes