Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 37,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will flashing ROM change my system partition size?

Tip us?

hertsjoatmon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Default Will flashing ROM change my system partition size?

At present with stock rom it says the I have a system rom size of 2.64GB (1.15GB free), and an internal media size of 10.6GB. Data taken from Titanium Backup

Is it possible to re size that system rom in order to free up more storage available to use or does Android use that available space for cache or something?
Android Artists Forum (WIP) - http://androidartists.boards.net/
With me
iPhone 5S 32GB, stock
Surface Pro 2 (512GB, 8GB) running Andy for Android access
Other Devices
PSP2000 FF7 aniversary edition Custom firmware. Use for emulation mostly
ASUS TF101 TEAMEOS4 rom. Kat kernel
Note 8.0 stolen on holiday

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertsjoatmon View Post
At present with stock rom it says the I have a system rom size of 2.64GB (1.15GB free), and an internal media size of 10.6GB. Data taken from Titanium Backup

Is it possible to re size that system rom in order to free up more storage available to use or does Android use that available space for cache or something?
No flash will change the partition size. There are tools to do that, and expect the user to know what partition to resize, so difficulty if any is offset by user error.

There is scripts out to make SD as the system partition, but there are caveats to compatibility with apps and function. Though it may or may not work for you. I guess you can give it a go as it is free and can be removed if needed without need of re-flashing.

For me using the download to SD xposed app does a lot to point the system to SD, and keep personal files and media in on location. Though some apps need configuration to point to SD because the programmer didn't hook to system paths.

Move to SD works fairly well with most apps, just some games tend to loose the icon at times when clearing cache, thus moving back to system fixes the cache.

hertsjoatmon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Just realised I can convert apps to system apps using Titanium backup. That should enable me to make use of the space in that "System ROM" partition correct?

I can't test it at the moment as I'm at work, can't get online and its saying its only available with the donated version (which I have paid for).

I figured I could make Facebook, Twitter, Antutu and other apps system apps to free up space on my "Internal+Media" Partition.

I also use folder mount to store large games on my external sd, I just figure if there is space available on the system partition I'd like to make use of it.
With me
iPhone 5S 32GB, stock
Other Devices

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertsjoatmon View Post
Just realised I can convert apps to system apps using Titanium backup. That should enable me to make use of the space in that "System ROM" partition correct?

I can't test it at the moment as I'm at work, can't get online and its saying its only available with the donated version (which I have paid for).

I figured I could make Facebook, Twitter, Antutu and other apps system apps to free up space on my "Internal+Media" Partition.

I also use folder mount to store large games on my external sd, I just figure if there is space available on the system partition I'd like to make use of it.
You can also backup the app, remove the app and reinstall it from play if available as a downloaded app, which may allow moving to SD within the system. Using Civato's rom, there should be less system apps than stock, but for the most part, I would remove apps that you can get from play and install them from play if needed.

Yes moving them into system using Ti backup pro would free up emulated SD storage, and SD card as well.

Though I have a number of apps that store 300mb+ of data, that I have no control over in storing. I have used a number of movers but none really work well. Maybe because of Samsung's implementation of storage, who knows.

I know you want to speed up your large drawings, but there is a limit to tablets made before 2014, I would expect waiting for 2015's latest tablets to upgrade. I am not too gung ho on 2014's tablets as of yet. Sure 2Ghz is faster and all, just would like to see faster throughput in the data channels and USB3 or Firewire2 capabilities. The only way to get something like that is through convertible notebooks.

tablets are still being made like phones... not much to be overwhelmed into being a work device, more like a gizmo if anything. I wish companies would stop playing around trying to make things look better, and start producing better internal design. I know android kills that process, but Ubuntu seems like the best alternative on tablets over android.

hertsjoatmon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude View Post
You can also backup the app, remove the app and reinstall it from play if available as a downloaded app, which may allow moving to SD within the system. Using Civato's rom, there should be less system apps than stock, but for the most part, I would remove apps that you can get from play and install them from play if needed.

Yes moving them into system using Ti backup pro would free up emulated SD storage, and SD card as well.

Though I have a number of apps that store 300mb+ of data, that I have no control over in storing. I have used a number of movers but none really work well. Maybe because of Samsung's implementation of storage, who knows.

I know you want to speed up your large drawings, but there is a limit to tablets made before 2014, I would expect waiting for 2015's latest tablets to upgrade. I am not too gung ho on 2014's tablets as of yet. Sure 2Ghz is faster and all, just would like to see faster throughput in the data channels and USB3 or Firewire2 capabilities. The only way to get something like that is through convertible notebooks.

tablets are still being made like phones... not much to be overwhelmed into being a work device, more like a gizmo if anything. I wish companies would stop playing around trying to make things look better, and start producing better internal design. I know android kills that process, but Ubuntu seems like the best alternative on tablets over android.
I'm not unhappy with the tablets performance when drawing as I just use it for rough sketching, I'm just trying to get it to perform to its maximum potential. I enjoy learning about whats going on under the hood and trying to improve apon each aspect.

I've had no issue moving the obb and data files to my external sd card using FolderMount. It means I have about 30GB of apps installed despite the 10GB app partition limit. I dont take the external SD card out though. Don't know how much of an issue it would be if you liked changing out your micro SD on the fly. I try and keep at least 15% of each partition empty

I should hopefully be coming into a little bit of money in a few months. Not a great deal, but enough to allow me to buy some new gadgets. High on my list is a windows tablet/laptop with a digitizer layer. May be one of the Samsung ATIV 700T series. They seem reasonably priced with an I5 processor and 4GB RAM. I'd preffer 8GB RAM but I cant find much for less than 1000
With me
iPhone 5S 32GB, stock
Other Devices