KitKat Tracking

Search This thread

jewbydoo

Jul 26, 2013
I've been finding a bunch of posts regarding when the Razr HD will be getting KitKat. We have been waiting a while, so I figured I'd make a tracking thread so everyone can know when KitKat is finally released.

The last piece of information we have really gotten came from David Schuster, senior director at Motorola Mobility in Illinois.

This post alone sparked a great many Android articles... Needlessly so, IMO

One G+ post fed:

Android Central
Into Mobile
Softpedia
Phone Arena
DroidLife

Seems I'm not the only one starving for some news.

Last edited:
Reactions: huatz84 and jldr

Mr Endiadi

May 1, 2014
me too I'd like to know when we'll receive kitkat...a question, i'm from Italy but i purchased my razr hd in Uk.
My version is 98.21.22003.xt925.CEE-Retail.en.EU..Will I receive the upgrade as well or the release is only for Verizon users?

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
David Schuster did say a couple of days ago that the "M and HD are in Verizon labs currently". And that "Labs" can take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
It's in the same Google+ post linked in the OP. It's toward the bottom of the comments.

me too I'd like to know when we'll receive kitkat...a question, i'm from Italy but i purchased my razr hd in Uk.
My version is 98.21.22003.xt925.CEE-Retail.en.EU..Will I receive the upgrade as well or the release is only for Verizon users?

Here is the official Motorola website to confirm this status: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...iTGN6bVFKQ2wiLCJzZXNzaW9uSUQiOiJMY3ptUUpDbCJ9

sent from my xt926 Droid RAZR HD flashed with Nexesque v3.6 - Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2510965

neyes

Mar 17, 2012
David Schuster did say a couple of days ago that the "M and HD are in Verizon labs currently". And that "Labs" can take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
It's in the same Google+ post linked in the OP. It's toward the bottom of the comments.

It still isn't clear weather a completed version is in their labs for testing and approval OR Moto's version was submitted to them for them to add bloat, test, fix, test, add more bloat, test, etc. I think once Verizon puts out a soak with their junk on it, then we may be getting truly close.

* This is only my interpretation on how this process is working and may be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajent

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
It still isn't clear weather a completed version is in their labs for testing and approval OR Moto's version was submitted to them for them to add bloat, test, fix, test, add more bloat, test, etc. I think once Verizon puts out a soak with their junk on it, then we may be getting truly close.

* This is only my interpretation on how this process is working and may be wrong.

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless.com/getDeviceCertified.aspx
Typically "labs" is the end of the line, unless there's a problem with the Software / Hardware on Verizon's Network.

Last edited:

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
Definitely coming this month. Screenshot_2014-05-02-17-28-34.png

jldr

Aug 21, 2012
Haha you can tell by his tone that he's like "Seriously, get off my back about it.'

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
MAYBE this is NOT related, but Motorola have scheduled an event on 13th may, the update may be announced then...
It's just a guess.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/30/motorola-will-announce-its-next-phone-at-a-london-press-event-on-may-13th/

Sounds more hardware than software related. I doubt they'd hold an event (or waste time at one) to announce a software update for phones released back in '12. They didn't for the newer, more relevant phones, and with no other company calling an event to announce "we've released KK for you on XYZ phone" it would come off as very pompous.

...am curious to see what their next model phone is though...

jldr

Aug 21, 2012
Everything is speculative with no real concrete evidence to back anything up. We know that it's likely to come out this month, but even that is not 100% certain.

Fr3d_

Sounds more hardware than software related. I doubt they'd hold an event (or waste time at one) to announce a software update for phones released back in '12. They didn't for the newer, more relevant phones, and with no other company calling an event to announce "we've released KK for you on XYZ phone" it would come off as very pompous.

...am curious to see what their next model phone is though...

I was thinking that they could announce the update with their new phone. With a big MAYBE. :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My experiance with this new update is mixed. The lockscreen has been updated...we now have tap and pay..phone dialer was changed from the motorola bastardized version but it was replaced with the JB stock version. However you now have a green phone icon instead of that moto square crappy one. The white KitKat style icons are there in the notification bar...the OS says its 4.4.2 but you do not have the KK dialer. The OS seems snappier on this phone than the older JB one was.

Its still using Blur from what I can tell regarding the launcher and app drawer. You still have smart actions (better than Moto Assist currently)...you still have the rings widget. Camera icon in the drawer is still the older icon and not the newer Moto provided KK camera in the Play Store.

I have a Moto X and was hoping this Razr HD 4.4.2 update would put it more in line with the KK build look on that phone. At least though it is Android 4.4.2 :)

I notice now though that the phone interfaces great with Linux.

I think the other people were doing a fine job with it. The idea to unify has also been one of the most unstable ROMs I've ever put on my phone.

Dan Rosenberg is the reason I appreciate my device, not someone that is a megalomaniac. Don't tell me anyone should be treated as my hero with the attitude he displays. This is not a conversation for this development thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So stay on stock. The RAZR HD had been rock solid for me for months as my daily driver on CM-11. And it was cm in generals need to unify devices. They could no longer complete all builds in a 24 hour period. Exactly what issue did you experience from unified builds? And to be honest I don't even remember you, so if I ignored you or was rude, my bad. I apologize.

Honestly though, who was doing fine for this phone, before I got aosp/cm device trees and kernel for it along with epinter and hashcode?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Ok i have mine unlocked and was on 9.30.1 here is my plight to get it updated to 4.4.2 might be tl/dr worthy but I think it's worth a read:

Starting off the update does not like 9.30.1. You HAVE to be at 9.18.94 BEFORE updating or it will fail.

So I thought...I will go to sbf.droid-developers and get the 9.18.94 update...flash it with RSD lite...update to 4.4.2 and life would be good. NOPE...well its good now but was a bumpy ride.

1. There is no 9.18.94 update on SBF site. You MUST use the 9.16.6 update package (not sure if the 9.16.9 will put you on the same upgrade path).
    2. Tried RSD lite to 9.16.6 from 9.30.1..it failed because of an unknown fastboot command. I edited the file and removed get vars command it was failing on. Then it complained about tz partition file couldn't be downgraded. GPT partition could not be downgraded either.
    3. Decided to manually fastboot flash each file expecting gpt and tz to fail. The expected failed but the rest flashed fine.
    4. Rebooted into android and I had 9.16.6 installed.
    5. Knowing I still need 9.18.94 for it to work..I went to system update and got a newer build.
    6. That system update went through but upon reboot and once in the OS i was told my update failed. However I was on a newer version of Android but not still yet on the required 9.18.94
    7. Ran update system update again and got yet another update but not 9.18.94.
    8 Rebooted and installed it
    9. Update again says it failed once in the OS but 9.18.x (do not remember exact version) was installed.
    10. Still not on the required 9.18.94 I ran system update again. Finally the 9.18.94 build was there and wanted me to download it.
    11. Updated to 9.18.94....upon reboot it upgraded android then upon rebooting into the OS it said it failed. However I was on 9.18.94.
    12 Being on the proper build I rebooted into recovery and selected the newly downloaded 4.4.2 file found here.
    13. Started updating and rebooted back to the recovery. It had the new recovery but had a little Android with a red exclamation mark.
    14. Entered recovery again and selected the 4.4.2 file again and updated.
    15. This started updating...said phase 1 probably completed...starting phase 2
    16. It finished the update and I am now on Android 4.4.2

I am STILL UNLOCKED as validated from my bootloader. The good news is though the voided warranty boot logo has been removed and now replaced with a standard red moto batwing logo with dual core technology written below it.

I think all the failures previously was because the gpt and tz partitions could not be updated due to security downgrading. Android 4.4.2 update has newer files of course so it allowed the upgrade and did not complain about failing.

I will make another post with my laymen's point of view of the update.

AP Fastboot Flash Mode says a new version and date:
    10.9B 2014-5-01 19:30:52)
    As of this moment, at least for me, i cannot get a custom recovery to load.