[Q] AT&T Galaxy s4 (SGH - I337) Unable to get 4.3 OTA

OP rsguy

22nd January 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi, possibly a noob question, but I have searched and searched all forums but I am unable to get a complete answer.

I have my AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) simply rooted, no custom ROMs or anything. I don't recall the method I used for rooting. Root checker confirms device is rooted. It's on Android 4.2.2. It initially showed the custom unlock icon during bootup and device status was "custom". I followed the directions from a forum and installed SuperSU which updated the SuperSU binary and now the unlock icon is gone. Device status shows "official". I was unsure of my binary flash counter since it did not show in the download mode. I purchased and installed Triangle Away, and it shows binary flash counter is 0, binary is official, system is official, so I did not run the "Reset Flash Counter". Download Mode also shows custom binary download: none current binary: Samsung official.

So now my question is can I get an OTA update in this state? I have checked for updates and there are none. Do I need to unroot to get an OTA? My wife's Galaxy s3 was also rooted, yet it got an OTA update to android 4.3 just last week while rooted. If I need to unroot my S4, what is the safest way, given the status of my device?

Thanks for your help!
22nd January 2014, 11:59 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 91

428 posts
More
I suggest you to not to get the ota. I got the ota and the result was less than impressed. If u want touchwiz 4.3 just download it and flash it. If u update to 4.3 via kies or ota it will install a knox bootloader which will not allow u to downgrade os anymore as well as void ur warranty because it keeps track of custom settings.

Triangle away will no longer be useful as it is a seperate counter beside the knox.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd January 2014, 12:15 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 635

1,265 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsguy

Hi, possibly a noob question, but I have searched and searched all forums but I am unable to get a complete answer.

I have my AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) simply rooted, no custom ROMs or anything. I don't recall the method I used for rooting. Root checker confirms device is rooted. It's on Android 4.2.2. It initially showed the custom unlock icon during bootup and device status was "custom". I followed the directions from a forum and installed SuperSU which updated the SuperSU binary and now the unlock icon is gone. Device status shows "official". I was unsure of my binary flash counter since it did not show in the download mode. I purchased and installed Triangle Away, and it shows binary flash counter is 0, binary is official, system is official, so I did not run the "Reset Flash Counter". Download Mode also shows custom binary download: none current binary: Samsung official.

So now my question is can I get an OTA update in this state? I have checked for updates and there are none. Do I need to unroot to get an OTA? My wife's Galaxy s3 was also rooted, yet it got an OTA update to android 4.3 just last week while rooted. If I need to unroot my S4, what is the safest way, given the status of my device?

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomy13

I suggest you to not to get the ota. I got the ota and the result was less than impressed. If u want touchwiz 4.3 just download it and flash it. If u update to 4.3 via kies or ota it will install a knox bootloader which will not allow u to downgrade os anymore as well as void ur warranty because it keeps track of custom settings.

Triangle away will no longer be useful as it is a seperate counter beside the knox.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

What anomy13 said only applies if you have the MDL firmware. Check your baseband/build number and reply with it. If it's MDL, then you can have a custom recovery and flash the StockUp ROM to update without losing the bootloaders, but if you're on MF3 then you're just as out of luck as on MK2 as the knox counter can be avoided easily and is not the same as the custom system checker.
1st May 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9

What anomy13 said only applies if you have the MDL firmware. Check your baseband/build number and reply with it. If it's MDL, then you can have a custom recovery and flash the StockUp ROM to update without losing the bootloaders, but if you're on MF3 then you're just as out of luck as on MK2 as the knox counter can be avoided easily and is not the same as the custom system checker.

Thanks anomy13 and DeadlySin9.
Mine has a baseband version I337UCUAMDL, so I guess its the MDL firmware.

Build Number: JDQ39.I337UCUAMDL

Do you have links to instructions/files to get my phone updated to the latest android version?
Can I go from 4.2.2 straight to 4.4.2, now that it is out, or do I need to update to 4.3 first?

please point me to the right direction if you can. there is so much info out there, I don't know which set of instruction is the right one for me.

Appreciate your help!
1st May 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,527

10,229 posts
If it were me, I'd put on a custom recovery and run a 4.4 custom rom and keep your mdl and the ability to do that. Follow this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42320391

If you upgrade your firmware there is an involved process to run a rooted rom but it's not the easiest thing to do. So it's up to you on what you want to do

Sent from my Nexus 5
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread