The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

have to return rented ipad to school and considering buying this- but have questions

OP evodev

17th April 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #11  
evodev's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag LA county
Thanks Meter: 151
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelago

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that won't work with the TF701T as when you unlock it (which is needed for rooting), it "phones home" to the Asus server to tell them that you've done it, which instantly voids your warranty. It doesn't matter how much your hard brick it after that - they just look at the serial/IMEI number and compare it to their list of unlocked devices, and won't touch it.


Dang it. I need to do more research. Someone needs to make a modified version of the program that blocks that. Or if it doesn't require downloading the files during the process and can be unlocked offline, just create a firewall blocking all the addresses or disable wifi. Problem solved. Lol. I might look into it more when I get the tablet.
17th April 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #12  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodev

Dang it. I need to do more research. Someone needs to make a modified version of the program that blocks that. Or if it doesn't require downloading the files during the process and can be unlocked offline, just create a firewall blocking all the addresses or disable wifi. Problem solved. Lol. I might look into it more when I get the tablet.

I don't believe its possible. Unlocking requires a unique per-device key, and there's no way to get that other than from Asus, so it cannot be done offline and without Asus knowing, at least not unless there's a flaw in their encryption etc.
17th April 2014, 06:00 PM   |  #13  
evodev's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag LA county
Thanks Meter: 151
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelago

I don't believe its possible. Unlocking requires a unique per-device key, and there's no way to get that other than from Asus, so it cannot be done offline and without Asus knowing, at least not unless there's a flaw in their encryption etc.

So firewall definitely won't work. And anything to get it working I don't think anyone will bother doing. Not worth the time. Just have to be as careful as I usually am for now. Might not even root it off the bat and see how stock suites me until I want to add a ps3 controller to it.
17th April 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #14  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,243
 
11,667 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodev

So firewall definitely won't work. And anything to get it working I don't think anyone will bother doing. Not worth the time. Just have to be as careful as I usually am for now. Might not even root it off the bat and see how stock suites me until I want to add a ps3 controller to it.

No way around it I'm afraid. You can only unlock using the Asus unlock tool due to the encrypted keys they use.

However I'm pretty sure a ps3 controller works without root.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #15  
evodev's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag LA county
Thanks Meter: 151
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Cool
Just to give you guys an update I'll have the tablet tomorrow and the case on Saturday.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes