Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,435 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

have to return rented ipad to school and considering buying this- but have questions

Tip us?

evodev
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
If you're saying what I think you're saying, that won't work with the TF701T as when you unlock it (which is needed for rooting), it "phones home" to the Asus server to tell them that you've done it, which instantly voids your warranty. It doesn't matter how much your hard brick it after that - they just look at the serial/IMEI number and compare it to their list of unlocked devices, and won't touch it.

Dang it. I need to do more research. Someone needs to make a modified version of the program that blocks that. Or if it doesn't require downloading the files during the process and can be unlocked offline, just create a firewall blocking all the addresses or disable wifi. Problem solved. Lol. I might look into it more when I get the tablet.

my first custom rom- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1829515
windows 8 metro ui theme for nook tablet- found here

have I helped you in anyway? well, Im 16, so I dont need donations, but these people do: goo.im, who host my roms.

add me on google+
my devices:
Sprint LG Optimus G running test build of my next rom.
HTC evo 4g running my 5.07 rom
Nook tablet running AOSP 4.2

pelago
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodev View Post
Dang it. I need to do more research. Someone needs to make a modified version of the program that blocks that. Or if it doesn't require downloading the files during the process and can be unlocked offline, just create a firewall blocking all the addresses or disable wifi. Problem solved. Lol. I might look into it more when I get the tablet.
I don't believe its possible. Unlocking requires a unique per-device key, and there's no way to get that other than from Asus, so it cannot be done offline and without Asus knowing, at least not unless there's a flaw in their encryption etc.

evodev
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I don't believe its possible. Unlocking requires a unique per-device key, and there's no way to get that other than from Asus, so it cannot be done offline and without Asus knowing, at least not unless there's a flaw in their encryption etc.
So firewall definitely won't work. And anything to get it working I don't think anyone will bother doing. Not worth the time. Just have to be as careful as I usually am for now. Might not even root it off the bat and see how stock suites me until I want to add a ps3 controller to it.

have I helped you in anyway? well, Im 16, so I dont need donations, but these people do: goo.im, who host my roms.

add me on google+
my devices:

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12297

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodev View Post
So firewall definitely won't work. And anything to get it working I don't think anyone will bother doing. Not worth the time. Just have to be as careful as I usually am for now. Might not even root it off the bat and see how stock suites me until I want to add a ps3 controller to it.
No way around it I'm afraid. You can only unlock using the Asus unlock tool due to the encrypted keys they use.

However I'm pretty sure a ps3 controller works without root.
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evodev
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Just to give you guys an update I'll have the tablet tomorrow and the case on Saturday.

add me on google+
my devices: