Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tech 21 D3O Impact Shell Review

Tip us?

kindacrazyazn
Old
(Last edited by kindacrazyazn; 30th April 2014 at 08:08 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Tech 21 D3O Impact Shell Review

Hey Guys,
I have decided to just jump the gun and buy the Tech 21 D3O impact shell from the T-Mobile store. The case ended up be $10 and something cents. I bought it at the store and they gave me a 30% discount for checking into Foursquare otherwise the price of the case is $16.99 not including tax. The case can be purchased online at: http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/...ell-smoke.html.

I currently own 2 cases including the case I have. I have this case and the Spigen Slim Armour. I love both of the cases but I do prefer this Tech 21 case. Both cases are well built and will definitely survive a fall. I have not dropped the case, but I feel like the technology behind the case will definitely protect it from a fall. I currently have the xtremeguard screen protector on the phone and the case does push the screen protector up, but the lip of the case covers more of the screen than the Spigen case so it doesn't have the problem as often. The case has an awesome feel to it. It has a matte feel and offers more grip that the Spigen. The case is also rounded so it doesn't feel like it is cutting into your hand. I personally bought the smoke version, but there is a purple version available. The case looks awesome with the orange bands going around the circumferance of the phone while the rest of the smoke color of the case allows you to see through the back to see the G2 symbol. I do own the AT&T D800 version and it has the cut out for the 2nd microphone on the back. The case feels like TPU with D3O that surround the phone.

Hopefully this everyone. If you are looking for a new case, IMHO this is a case to consider.
Current Devices:
1. LG G2 D800
~ROM: PowerUser Edition v2.1 by AndroidUser00110001

2. Asus Transformer
~ROM: OmniROM 4.4.2 by sidneyk

Old Devices:
1. Motorola Atrix 2

2. HTC Aria
~ROM: CM 7.2
The Following User Says Thank You to kindacrazyazn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kindacrazyazn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Here are the pictures that I was going to post.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Current Devices:
1. LG G2 D800

2. Asus Transformer

Old Devices:
1. Motorola Atrix 2

2. HTC Aria
The Following User Says Thank You to kindacrazyazn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mozman
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Thanks for the review. I have thought about this case. How would you compare it to a tpu case. Looks like one except for the orange band which seems to be the D30 technology.
Also how thick and bulky is it in comparison to a tpu case.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sprint HTC Hero > HTC EVO 3D

kindacrazyazn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozman View Post
Thanks for the review. I have thought about this case. How would you compare it to a tpu case. Looks like one except for the orange band which seems to be the D30 technology.
Also how thick and bulky is it in comparison to a tpu case.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
It honestly feels like a TPU case with the D3O tech like you were saying. I don't own a TPU case for the G2 but I have had TPU cases in the past and this stuff feels a little more flexible but it still maintains its shape when it is on the phone. The case fits nicely and it looks good as well. The case actually doesn't add too much bulk. It keeps the shape of the phone and is slightly thicker than without a case. I feel like it is definitely not as "bulky" as the Spigen case as well.
Current Devices:
1. LG G2 D800

2. Asus Transformer

Old Devices:
1. Motorola Atrix 2

2. HTC Aria

sekretaznman
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrazyazn View Post
It honestly feels like a TPU case with the D3O tech like you were saying. I don't own a TPU case for the G2 but I have had TPU cases in the past and this stuff feels a little more flexible but it still maintains its shape when it is on the phone. The case fits nicely and it looks good as well. The case actually doesn't add too much bulk. It keeps the shape of the phone and is slightly thicker than without a case. I feel like it is definitely not as "bulky" as the Spigen case as well.
Awesome! This was the info I was looking for lol. Im currently using the Spigen Slim Armor and found it a bit too bulky, so i jumped the on the tech21 case from the T-mobile site. Thanks for the review! Cant wait to get mine
Current Devices:
LG G2 (At&t)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (At&t)
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2011)

Past Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
Motorola Droid X (Verizon)
Samsung Galaxy Note (At&t)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (At&t)
Nexus 7 (2012)

kindacrazyazn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekretaznman View Post
Awesome! This was the info I was looking for lol. Im currently using the Spigen Slim Armor and found it a bit too bulky, so i jumped the on the tech21 case from the T-mobile site. Thanks for the review! Cant wait to get mine
No problem! I wish I had the info before I bought it but I ended up trying it at the store and liked it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And I definitely use this case more than the Spigen

Current Devices:
1. LG G2 D800

2. Asus Transformer

Old Devices:
1. Motorola Atrix 2

2. HTC Aria

tsells
Old
(Last edited by tsells; 1st May 2014 at 08:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrazyazn View Post
No problem! I wish I had the info before I bought it but I ended up trying it at the store and liked it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And I definitely use this case more than the Spigen

I also had the Spigen Slim Armour as my first case for the G2. But I also got the Tech 21 case, and although I still like the Slim Armour case, the Tech 21 is better for me as the edges are more rounded and it's a little less bulky than the Slim Armour.