Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,893 Members 50,303 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Knox and Rooting

Tip us?
 
bimmerdriver
Old
#31  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 46
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo99x View Post
KNOX Warranty has nothing to do with the hardware warranty. The Knox warranty flag is there to make sure a device has never been tampered with in a way that could compromise their Knox services. Period.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
With all due respect, unless you're speaking for Samsung, what you're saying is opinion, not fact. There are accounts of people who were refused hardware warranty due to the knox flag being tripped.
 
dodo99x
Old
#32  
dodo99x's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 274
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
With all due respect, unless you're speaking for Samsung, what you're saying is opinion, not fact. There are accounts of people who were refused hardware warranty due to the knox flag being tripped.
Of course it's my opinion, however, there are equal number of reports showing hardware claims were honored despite knox=1. People just focus on the word "warranty". Hardware Warranty and Knox Warranty are two very different things. If your tablet breaks, and you're knox=1, by all means, don't send it back to Samsung for repair...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...per_June-0.pdf

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
 
Spere
Old
#33  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 206
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo99x View Post
Of course it's my opinion, however, there are equal number of reports showing hardware claims were honored despite knox=1. People just focus on the word "warranty". Hardware Warranty and Knox Warranty are two very different things. If your tablet breaks, and you're knox=1, by all means, don't send it back to Samsung for repair...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...per_June-0.pdf

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Well, at least here you got only warranty, no hardware warranty or software warranty, just warranty. And the thing is, you have that warranty or then you don't. Actions that trip KNOX are actions that voids warranty (If your KNOX warranty is gone, you have done something that voids device warranty too). And thats it. If I void my warranty by making my phone wet or dropping it to hard surface, my "software warranty" is also gone. Same if I root (trip KNOX) my "hardware warranty" is gone, since they are not seperate warranties and like I said, there is or isn't warranty of anykind depending what you have done with your device.
 
dodo99x
Old
#34  
dodo99x's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 274
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Of course Samsung will never clarify in clear terms which of us is correct. If they get less hardware related warranty claims, it's in their best interest to stay ambiguous on the subject. I'll gladly change my opinion if someone can find actual Samsung documents stating any and all warranty is void if Knox=1.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
 
o0pyroguy0o
Old
#35  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 28
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
One day . . perhaps. .

I'm now on my second Note Pro having lost the first to an act of stupidity. This time around I've purchased a square trade warranty with accidental damage coverage for 2-years and as with the first I'll be rooting this tablet as well (gave it a week to settle in so that I'm sure that there's no hardware issues).
as muzzy mentioned, first note pro was rooted, broken and has been replaced. So... i guess if something happens and you call into support for a fix/replacement and if the rep wont help, hang up and call again until you get someone with the opinion that knox is its own warranty and hardware is separate...
 
muzzy996
Old
#36  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 160
Posts: 720
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0pyroguy0o View Post
as muzzy mentioned, first note pro was rooted, broken and has been replaced. So... i guess if something happens and you call into support for a fix/replacement and if the rep wont help, hang up and call again until you get someone with the opinion that knox is its own warranty and hardware is separate...
No don't use my post to prove this . . my case is completely different.

My first note pro is sitting in a highway gutter somewhere . . my act of stupidity was putting it on the roof of a company vehicle in a frenzy of a site visit and having it fly off of the roof of the truck at 60mph. There was no reason to go back for it, I saw it shatter under the front tire of a truck through my rear view mirror after hearing it flapping off of the roof.

My replacement was a second purchase . . Second note is now rooted and I have a square trade warranty. If I do something stupid again i'll likely retrieve the corpse, play some taps as I pack it into a box and send it off for a claim to square trade. If they deny me coverage . . I'll buy another tablet.

These are tools and I have my needs. I'm not going to let fear of warranty coverage stop me from doing what want with my devices.
 
Redsandro
Old
#37  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 58
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Like the old saying goes....If you play, you pay.

I don't have any objection to KNOX. They have every right to protect themselves from someone screwing their device up due to making non stock modification to the OS.
KNOX is business-level security because the market demands it.
Rooting breaks KNOX because Samsung can no longer guarantee a secure environment after someone had a chance to tamper with the system.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Free mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to Redsandro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
12.2, galaxy, note, pro, samsung
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes