Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] What will happen if I update to 4.4 while still rooted?

OP AKShotgun

30th April 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #11  
netizenmt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 359
 
1,208 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
My plan is to go all stock and accept the update IF it ever actually gets released. As my bootloader is unlocked, I always have the option of reflashing recovery on it, make a backup of 4.4, and then run it or some other rom backup as I choose. Also, I'm curious to know, if there is supposed to be superuser built into TWRP, will that allow 4.4 to be rooted anyway, or not?

As you can see, I know just enough to be dangerous, lol, but as long as I can make calls, it's all good.
The Following User Says Thank You to netizenmt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #12  
ATTACK's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 1,804
 
1,353 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by netizenmt

My plan is to go all stock and accept the update IF it ever actually gets released. As my bootloader is unlocked, I always have the option of reflashing recovery on it, make a backup of 4.4, and then run it or some other rom backup as I choose. Also, I'm curious to know, if there is supposed to be superuser built into TWRP, will that allow 4.4 to be rooted anyway, or not?

As you can see, I know just enough to be dangerous, lol, but as long as I can make calls, it's all good.

As long as your bootloader is unlocked, all you need to do after you update to the OTA is re-flash recovery and then superuser to regain root.
30th April 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #13  
AKShotgun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 72
 
206 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by netizenmt

My plan is to go all stock and accept the update IF it ever actually gets released. As my bootloader is unlocked, I always have the option of reflashing recovery on it, make a backup of 4.4, and then run it or some other rom backup as I choose. Also, I'm curious to know, if there is supposed to be superuser built into TWRP, will that allow 4.4 to be rooted anyway, or not?

As you can see, I know just enough to be dangerous, lol, but as long as I can make calls, it's all good.

I don't think there is an "if" in it. The executive posted on google+ about receiving the update in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1st May 2014, 01:02 AM   |  #14  
netizenmt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 359
 
1,208 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKShotgun

I don't think there is an "if" in it. The executive posted on google+ about receiving the update in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well its been a few weeks since he said that. Having had a similar situation with Sony and the Xperia Play and ICS, I can tell you the average executive's word isn't worth spit. And then there's the whole Verizon involvement which always adds another level of delay. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I would be surprised if we get KK in a few Months, never mind weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk
1st May 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #15  
AKShotgun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 72
 
206 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by netizenmt

Well its been a few weeks since he said that. Having had a similar situation with Sony and the Xperia Play and ICS, I can tell you the average executive's word isn't worth spit. And then there's the whole Verizon involvement which always adds another level of delay. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I would be surprised if we get KK in a few Months, never mind weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk

Sorry if it seems like it im not trying to fight you here but he commented on his google+ post saying Razr M and HD KitKat is already at Verizon labs. So im guessing about a month.
2nd May 2014, 01:23 AM   |  #16  
netizenmt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 359
 
1,208 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
I look forward to being wrong. I really hope we get it in the next few months. I've noticed that each revision of Android has made the need to develop custom ROMs less necessary for many phones. Of course that won't lessen our desire or enthusiasm to push the envelope. But when I think how far we have come from my first Android, the LG Ally and Eclair... There was a phone that was crap stock, but once unlocked and customized, it was a very decent phone for its time and price point. Today, its harder to see the need or difference between stock and custom ROMs, other than removal of bloat and occasionally some new bell or whistle. Still, I can't seem to resist their siren's call any more than the rest of you. Which is why I'm running CM11. Lol!

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to netizenmt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes