Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 37,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What will happen if I update to 4.4 while still rooted?

Tip us?

netizenmt
Old
Thanks Meter 353
My plan is to go all stock and accept the update IF it ever actually gets released. As my bootloader is unlocked, I always have the option of reflashing recovery on it, make a backup of 4.4, and then run it or some other rom backup as I choose. Also, I'm curious to know, if there is supposed to be superuser built into TWRP, will that allow 4.4 to be rooted anyway, or not?

As you can see, I know just enough to be dangerous, lol, but as long as I can make calls, it's all good.
NetizenMT - Rocking the 'Net since 1986 and STILL a N00b!

Motorola Droid Razr M - Now Deceased.
Android KitKat 4.4
Unlocked Bootloader
Fully Stock
CWM Recovery 6.0.4.8

Replacement Razr M
Android Jellybean 4.2
Locked Bootloader
Fully Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to netizenmt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ATTACK
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by netizenmt View Post
My plan is to go all stock and accept the update IF it ever actually gets released. As my bootloader is unlocked, I always have the option of reflashing recovery on it, make a backup of 4.4, and then run it or some other rom backup as I choose. Also, I'm curious to know, if there is supposed to be superuser built into TWRP, will that allow 4.4 to be rooted anyway, or not?

As you can see, I know just enough to be dangerous, lol, but as long as I can make calls, it's all good.
As long as your bootloader is unlocked, all you need to do after you update to the OTA is re-flash recovery and then superuser to regain root.
MOTOROLA DROID RAZR M [SCORPION MINI] - STOCK 4.4.2 - AOSP MOD
SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS [TORO] - AOSP 4.4.4 LINARO - DIRTY.V-SR KERNEL
SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7.0 [T210R] - NOLEKAT 4.4.2 - KER.NOLE - GS4 MOD
DEV-HOST

AKShotgun
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:

I don't think there is an "if" in it. The executive posted on google+ about receiving the update in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Devices

Moto Razr M (Stock 4.4.2)Main Phone
Moto Droid X2 (CM10 4.1.2)
Samsung Facinate(CM10.1 4.2.2)
2013 Nexus 7 (Stock Android L preview)
Chromecast

netizenmt
Old
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKShotgun View Post
I don't think there is an "if" in it. The executive posted on google+ about receiving the update in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Well its been a few weeks since he said that. Having had a similar situation with Sony and the Xperia Play and ICS, I can tell you the average executive's word isn't worth spit. And then there's the whole Verizon involvement which always adds another level of delay. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I would be surprised if we get KK in a few Months, never mind weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk

Android KitKat 4.4
Unlocked Bootloader
Fully Stock
CWM Recovery 6.0.4.8

Replacement Razr M
Android Jellybean 4.2
Locked Bootloader
Fully Stock

AKShotgun
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Well its been a few weeks since he said that. Having had a similar situation with Sony and the Xperia Play and ICS, I can tell you the average executive's word isn't worth spit. And then there's the whole Verizon involvement which always adds another level of delay. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I would be surprised if we get KK in a few Months, never mind weeks.

Sorry if it seems like it im not trying to fight you here but he commented on his google+ post saying Razr M and HD KitKat is already at Verizon labs. So im guessing about a month.
Current Devices

Moto Razr M (Stock 4.4.2)Main Phone
Moto Droid X2 (CM10 4.1.2)
Samsung Facinate(CM10.1 4.2.2)
2013 Nexus 7 (Stock Android L preview)
Chromecast

netizenmt
Old
Thanks Meter 353
I look forward to being wrong. I really hope we get it in the next few months. I've noticed that each revision of Android has made the need to develop custom ROMs less necessary for many phones. Of course that won't lessen our desire or enthusiasm to push the envelope. But when I think how far we have come from my first Android, the LG Ally and Eclair... There was a phone that was crap stock, but once unlocked and customized, it was a very decent phone for its time and price point. Today, its harder to see the need or difference between stock and custom ROMs, other than removal of bloat and occasionally some new bell or whistle. Still, I can't seem to resist their siren's call any more than the rest of you. Which is why I'm running CM11. Lol!

Android KitKat 4.4
Unlocked Bootloader
Fully Stock
CWM Recovery 6.0.4.8

Replacement Razr M
Android Jellybean 4.2
Locked Bootloader
Fully Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to netizenmt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]