Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,674 Members 37,974 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.1.2 super buggy...

Tip us?

MPH33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default 4.1.2 super buggy...

i just received this phone the other day. i rooted it last night with cf simple root with odin. it was very easy to root unlike my old htc one x! however, ive noticed this android os to be somewhat buggy. screen doesnt want to rotate sometimes and sms pic message will stall. any suggestions on roms or even kitkat or the version before kitkat? for some odd reason... this phone never upgraded the os the whole entire time my wife had the phone. i tried software update before rooting and it says it was up to date. very odd.

gregsarg
Old
Thanks Meter 3506
Well....
I suppose a good cleaning may be in order...considering the device was previously used by someone else...

I'd factory data reset the device in recovery then reload and sync everything again...

Once that baseline is established...then you'll know where it's really at run wise...

As for rom and OS suggestions....that choice ultimately comes down to you...

Run a few and get the feel for them...and read some user reports from the associated threads....

Then flash away and make this great device your own...

We have great users here with "a lot " of roms and development still happening...

And regarding the updated software you never got....

Don't take the official update to 4.3 unless you want a gimped bootloader with Knox security garbage....

Keep that sexy clean 4.1...loader and use a modded 4.3 rom instead....

Stock roms are slow and bloated anyway....

I won't name individual roms to try because that is often interpreted as a favorites list....and I have no favorites....

I like them all....because they let me choose the entire spectrum at will....

Read up....try em all....and have fun....

Happy flashing...g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
" There are Givers, and there are Takers. Be a Giver, and these things will come back to you. "......................g

And please, donate to your favorite developer...
Without them, we'd be writing on rocks with a stick...g
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsarg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MPH33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsarg View Post
Well....
I suppose a good cleaning may be in order...considering the device was previously used by someone else...

I'd factory data reset the device in recovery then reload and sync everything again...

Once that baseline is established...then you'll know where it's really at run wise...

As for rom and OS suggestions....that choice ultimately comes down to you...

Run a few and get the feel for them...and read some user reports from the associated threads....

Then flash away and make this great device your own...

We have great users here with "a lot " of roms and development still happening...

And regarding the updated software you never got....

Don't take the official update to 4.3 unless you want a gimped bootloader with Knox security garbage....

Keep that sexy clean 4.1...loader and use a modded 4.3 rom instead....

Stock roms are slow and bloated anyway....

I won't name individual roms to try because that is often interpreted as a favorites list....and I have no favorites....

I like them all....because they let me choose the entire spectrum at will....

Read up....try em all....and have fun....

Happy flashing...g

thanx for the advice. before rooting... i done a full factory reset. im kinda new with this rooting stuff. i always root and never upload roms and stuff. just use the phone to get rid of bloat apps. i dont know where to start with roms lol
The Following User Says Thank You to MPH33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gregsarg
Old
Thanks Meter 3506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH33 View Post
thanx for the advice. before rooting... i done a full factory reset. im kinda new with this rooting stuff. i always root and never upload roms and stuff. just use the phone to get rid of bloat apps. i dont know where to start with roms lol
No worries...
The key is read....read...read...

The forums can get overwhelming with rom threads and mods...so...

Pick one of interest...and read it's instructions more than once....

The repetition will burn the process into your brain and make the process much easier...

The flashing of this device is pretty easy....but the steps have to be followed correctly or you'll get jammed up....

Start with the threads that explain the flash process and how it works ...

Once you've familiarized yourself with that...only then should you flash...

It's habit forming...so be careful ...LOL

The android platform is all about "you" being in control of the device....not that company named after a fruit....LOL

Take your time...as you have plenty of reading to do...

You wouldn't believe how sweet this device can run with a clean rom and the right kernel ...

Try it....you'll like it....g

" There are Givers, and there are Takers. Be a Giver, and these things will come back to you. "......................g

And please, donate to your favorite developer...
Without them, we'd be writing on rocks with a stick...g
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsarg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

irl9000
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I just picked up a brand new one today, still on 4.1, and I agree it was quite frustrating to have auto rotate freeze and play store dl's a mess right outta the box

But it's alright, as soon as it gets its first full charge its gonna be draped in Slimkat weeklies from there on out. Setup Pie and it should be butter.
The Following User Says Thank You to irl9000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]