No registration required

Permanent root

OP anwedr

1st May 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 41

286 posts
I am new to the whole understanding of root on non-Nexus devices seeing how I had to root my Nexus 4 after each update and I had a fair bit of knowledge hacking/modding/rooting the Nexus.

Kedros over at oppoforums (http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/ho...ecovery.11309/) provided a root method that is permanent. I have no plans to install custom ROMs nor do I feel the need to flash a custom recovery (ex. TWRP).
My question is:
1. Will I still receive OTA updates from Oppo after I root?
2. If no to step 1, will flashing ColorOS updates remove the "permanent" root?

Thanks.
2nd May 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bloomington, MN
Thanks Meter: 18

29 posts
More
Root and OTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwedr

I am new to the whole understanding of root on non-Nexus devices seeing how I had to root my Nexus 4 after each update and I had a fair bit of knowledge hacking/modding/rooting the Nexus.

Kedros over at oppoforums provided a root method that is permanent. I have no plans to install custom ROMs nor do I feel the need to flash a custom recovery (ex. TWRP).
My question is:
1. Will I still receive OTA updates from Oppo after I root?
2. If no to step 1, will flashing ColorOS updates remove the "permanent" root?

Thanks.

1. Yes. OTA updates will work so long as you're using stock recovery and haven't made drastic changes to the /system partition.
2. Flashing an incremental (OTA) update in recovery will have the same effect as tapping "install update" from the about phone menu. You will lose root. If you flash a complete dump of the /system you will lose root as well since you are replacing /system.

Losing root isn't a big deal. Just flash again from recovery. You could try the OTA survival option built into SuperSu. I didn't bother trying because it takes less than a minute to reboot to recovery and flash SuperSu/su binary. What might be a big deal with the OTA update is that it wipes /data. This is odd because the pop-up that appears prior to installing the update specifically states that you won't lose apps or data. Your custom ROM plans may change after you use ColorOS. I hate it. It's glitchy and has a huge memory footprint. I'd recommend trying the 2.0 beta. I haven't had my Find 7a for long, but I've had no bugs thus far with the 2.0 beta. It's available on the Oppo Forums.

-Sent from my Panasonic 3DO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Ames For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread