Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Quick question about the Google play edition Rom....

OP TyWadd

1st May 2014, 07:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 2

35 posts
Hey, I have the Verizon m8 with the Google play rom running. I have heard that running this rom allows you to get the os updates from Google just as fast as the nexus... is this true?
Thanks
1st May 2014, 10:19 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,230

13,593 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWadd

Hey, I have the Verizon m8 with the Google play rom running. I have heard that running this rom allows you to get the os updates from Google just as fast as the nexus... is this true?
Thanks

Give or take a few days, yes - so long as you've done the complete RUU conversion. If you've just flashed a custom GPe ROM then no
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #3  
Just outside of Manchester UK
Thanks Meter: 182

569 posts
More
and have the stock recovery installed
The Following User Says Thank You to grentuu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #4  

35 posts
Sorry, I'm kind of a noob at this... what exactly is the ruu and stock recovery?
Last edited by TyWadd; 1st May 2014 at 08:46 PM.
2nd May 2014, 06:14 AM   |  #5  
Flag Hillsboro, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 17

71 posts
More
Wink Read, read, read !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWadd

Sorry, I'm kind of a noob at this... what exactly is the ruu and stock recovery?

If you're not sure what all that means, then you need to read a LOT more before trying anything on your phone. I've been lurking and reading on XDA for over 4 years and the most common problems occur when a new owner jumps in before truly studying the available information.

Go to the general Android forum and read all about the OS and the "strange" words you see in the posts.

Come back to the M8 forum and read until you really understand the difference between RUU, ROMs, Recovery, fastboot, ADB and all the other nuances of the M8.

If you don't know how to do it without a "kit" then I don't suggest you use a kit. It's a convenience but should not be the only process you know how to use.

Time to Study!
2nd May 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #6  

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamberg

If you're not sure what all that means, then you need to read a LOT more before trying anything on your phone. I've been lurking and reading on XDA for over 4 years and the most common problems occur when a new owner jumps in before truly studying the available information.

Go to the general Android forum and read all about the OS and the "strange" words you see in the posts.

Come back to the M8 forum and read until you really understand the difference between RUU, ROMs, Recovery, fastboot, ADB and all the other nuances of the M8.

If you don't know how to do it without a "kit" then I don't suggest you use a kit. It's a convenience but should not be the only process you know how to use.

Time to Study!

I definitely will start reading more! Where does one find this kit? And is that all that I have left to do to get the updates? Flash the stock recovery, and the RUU?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread