Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Quick question about the Google play edition Rom....

Tip us?
 
TyWadd
Old
#1  
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 35
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Quick question about the Google play edition Rom....

Hey, I have the Verizon m8 with the Google play rom running. I have heard that running this rom allows you to get the os updates from Google just as fast as the nexus... is this true?
Thanks
 
EddyOS
Old
#2  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,050
Posts: 13,308
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWadd View Post
Hey, I have the Verizon m8 with the Google play rom running. I have heard that running this rom allows you to get the os updates from Google just as fast as the nexus... is this true?
Thanks
Give or take a few days, yes - so long as you've done the complete RUU conversion. If you've just flashed a custom GPe ROM then no
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r19

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
grentuu
Old
#3  
grentuu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 524
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Just outside of Manchester UK
and have the stock recovery installed


I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???


IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.
The Following User Says Thank You to grentuu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TyWadd
Old
(Last edited by TyWadd; 1st May 2014 at 07:46 PM.)
#4  
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 35
Join Date: Jan 2013
Sorry, I'm kind of a noob at this... what exactly is the ruu and stock recovery?
 
mbamberg
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 68
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Wink Read, read, read !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWadd View Post
Sorry, I'm kind of a noob at this... what exactly is the ruu and stock recovery?
If you're not sure what all that means, then you need to read a LOT more before trying anything on your phone. I've been lurking and reading on XDA for over 4 years and the most common problems occur when a new owner jumps in before truly studying the available information.

Go to the general Android forum and read all about the OS and the "strange" words you see in the posts.

Come back to the M8 forum and read until you really understand the difference between RUU, ROMs, Recovery, fastboot, ADB and all the other nuances of the M8.

If you don't know how to do it without a "kit" then I don't suggest you use a kit. It's a convenience but should not be the only process you know how to use.

Time to Study!
 
TyWadd
Old
#6  
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 35
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamberg View Post
If you're not sure what all that means, then you need to read a LOT more before trying anything on your phone. I've been lurking and reading on XDA for over 4 years and the most common problems occur when a new owner jumps in before truly studying the available information.

Go to the general Android forum and read all about the OS and the "strange" words you see in the posts.

Come back to the M8 forum and read until you really understand the difference between RUU, ROMs, Recovery, fastboot, ADB and all the other nuances of the M8.

If you don't know how to do it without a "kit" then I don't suggest you use a kit. It's a convenience but should not be the only process you know how to use.

Time to Study!
I definitely will start reading more! Where does one find this kit? And is that all that I have left to do to get the updates? Flash the stock recovery, and the RUU?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes