Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 40,485 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM has pretty poor update waiting times.

Tip us?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24110

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice View Post
Honestly, as long as they open source whatever code they use for the screen-off wake gestures, I don't care what I run on the device. As previously mentioned by others, I'm buying the hardware, not the software.
That's done via touchscreen controller firmware - which isn't itself opensource (it's just a blob encoded into a header file within the kernel), but will work no matter what you're running on the device with a only a few tweaks to the frameworks/kernel. Plenty of projects have experience with these tweaks since the Oppo N1 had the same capability.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxver0
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post
So, yeah I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I have an N5 and I love the notion that it's pretty much the first device to receive updates. But, more often as of late, Google pushes updates via its services and even more recently by making its apps available to all, at least to devices running 4.4.x. So, the importance of being able to run with the very latest Android version has been somewhat mitigated.

The thing that has me concerned right now about the One+ 1 are the very long update cycles of CM. Should Android 5.0 roll out within the next few months, it would mean, based on CM update history, an additional 6 months before CM moves on to it the latest Android version nightlies roundup. 6 months is often longer than it takes even the big manufacturers to skin and update the latest Android version, waiting periods which proud Nexus owners have been able to avoid.

Just curious to hear from Nexus people who are thinking about this device and what any inevitable updates might mean to you?
Keep in mind they were just an independent developers they were getting some random people WHO ACTUALLY WANTED to help maintain some devices even while there wasn't any driver or source code avaliable (Samsung) which is really hard. They didn't had any office and they weren't getting paid for that. Now they have access to all tools from Google and other manufacturers such as Qualcomm and other drivers which gives them much more possibilities like LG, Samsung or Sony already had from the beginning. CyanogenMod 11S will be much more stable and easier for deliever.
You are using custom kernel with Swipe2Wake implemented?
Are you getting screen freezes after some time?
No more reboots - one click just needed Screen Edges Fix

If you need to translate your app to Polish let me know!
The Following User Says Thank You to maxver0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 24110

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxver0 View Post
Keep in mind they were just an independent developers they were getting some random people WHO ACTUALLY WANTED to help maintain some devices even while there wasn't any driver or source code avaliable (Samsung) which is really hard. They didn't had any office and they weren't getting paid for that. Now they have access to all tools from Google and other manufacturers such as Qualcomm and other drivers which gives them much more possibilities like LG, Samsung or Sony already had from the beginning. CyanogenMod 11S will be much more stable and easier for deliever.
Except that they've already had one official partner device (Oppo N1) where the user experience was actually WORSE for most people than many of the community-supported devices.

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true

maxver0
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Except that they've already had one official partner device (Oppo N1) where the user experience was actually WORSE for most people than many of the community-supported devices.
I don't know users experiences about Oppo N1 but I do know that CyanogenMod didn't get as many tools from Oppo as they do have now from Oneplus and their hardware partners. Abhisek Devkota from CyanogenMod have been talking about it somewhere on Google plus. I'm not going to sit on cyanogenmod anyway most likely, especially when there will be support from Slimkat and francisco. Reminder: Oneplus One will be fully unlocked and sources will be avaliable for everyone.

dracinn
Old
Thanks Meter 25
If anyone thinks CM is slow I had 4.4 on my tf700 within one month. Nightlies of course.

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 24110

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxver0 View Post
I don't know users experiences about Oppo N1 but I do know that CyanogenMod didn't get as many tools from Oppo as they do have now from Oneplus and their hardware partners. Abhisek Devkota from CyanogenMod have been talking about it somewhere on Google plus. I'm not going to sit on cyanogenmod anyway most likely, especially when there will be support from Slimkat and francisco. Reminder: Oneplus One will be fully unlocked and sources will be avaliable for everyone.
That's bull****. The only thing they can blame Oppo on is the initial O-Click fiasco - nothing beyond that. (And I'm letting them slide for the O-Click mess, that really wasn't their fault)

Any failures beyond that have nothing to do with Oppo and everything to do with Cyngn. If you look at oppoforums, the Oppo section of the CM G+ community, and CM's own forums, they're full of users saying they're switching to Omni... Which happens to be maintained by people who got the N1 1-2 months later than Cyngn, aren't paid to work on the device, and didn't have anywhere close to the level of access to Oppo engineers and documentation (Cyngn signed an NDA for Qualcomm docs, we didn't).

So if users are reporting all over that they're switching to a project which had LESS of everything that Cyngn said they didn't have enough of - don't you think something is wrong there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracinn View Post
If anyone thinks CM is slow I had 4.4 on my tf700 within one month. Nightlies of course.
We're not talking about nightlies here, since there's no guarantee for users that they'll be anything but crap. Cyngn is ADAMANT about this position. If community builds (nightlies) for a Cyngn device are broken, you're SOL.

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true

maxver0
Old
(Last edited by maxver0; 2nd May 2014 at 03:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Any failures beyond that have nothing to do with Oppo and everything to do with Cyngn. If you look at oppoforums, the Oppo section of the CM G+ community, and CM's own forums, they're full of users saying they're switching to Omni... Which happens to be maintained by people who got the N1 1-2 months later than Cyngn, aren't paid to work on the device, and didn't have anywhere close to the level of access to Oppo engineers and documentation (Cyngn signed an NDA for Qualcomm docs, we didn't).

So if users are reporting all over that they're switching to a project which had LESS of everything that Cyngn said they didn't have enough of - don't you think something is wrong there?
Well that someone prefer more one rom than the other doesn't prove anything. I prefer custom rom Slimkat on my Nexus 4 even if stock is super stable or even a cyanogenmod rom on my phone. I tried OmniRom on my N4 tho but I couldn't find multiwindow at all in rom so I flashed over something else...