Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] [HELP] Can this app be tweaked to help my sons Minecraft addiction?

OP shieldspt

1st May 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Due to my sons addiction to Minecraft I've been forced to install the "Screen Time Parental Control" app on his rooted Kindle. [play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screentime.rc[/url] ... I'm a noob so it won't let me link!]

It does an excellent job EXCEPT for communicating with the accompanying Remote Control app that I have installed on my phone (so that I can grant him extra time / block his useage etc) [play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screentime.rc][/url]

The Screen Time app on the kindle is obviously communicating to the Remote Control app on my phone because I can see exactly how long my son has been on his kindle and what programs/apps he's using. However, the reverse communication is not working ... I cannot grant extra time / stop his time.

I have contacted the app developed who says that they use Google Play Service to do the communicating, but that they do not currently support Kindles. I have Google Play Service installed and set as a system app, so does anyone know how I might go about getting this app to function properly.
1st May 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 609

2,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
Is it still on amazon is or a custom ROM? I could guess that if its while your phone is on data that it could be a port forwarding issue if the tablet is on WiFi and you are somewhere else trying to connect to it, but I am just guessing.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

Is it still on amazon is or a custom ROM? I could guess that if its while your phone is on data that it could be a port forwarding issue if the tablet is on WiFi and you are somewhere else trying to connect to it, but I am just guessing.

Thanks for your help.

It's still on Amazon. I think you are right about port forwarding. It says this in the developers troubleshooting page ...

""Play", "Pause" messages are not getting to my child's device"
Make sure the system time, date and time zone on yours and your child's devices are correct. If you use a firewall that restricts the traffic to or from the Internet, you need to configure it to allow connectivity with Google's messaging servers (the ports to open are: 5228, 5229, and 5230).
Have you any idea what that means ... or how I ensure those ports are open?!!
2nd May 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 609

2,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
You have to port forward the ports on your router that the kindle is on. It is really easy to do, there a site that tells how to do it: http://portforward.com/
I don't know if it has Google services listed as an app, but any game/app will work, just use the ports mentioned instead of what they would say for a different game/app and see if you can get it working.

The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread