Ask a question

No registration required

View What Chromecast Is Currently Playing

OP devriems

2nd May 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Is there a way, from a separate device (laptop, mobile device etc), to view what a Chromecast device is currently playing? Essentially, stream in the opposite direction of what the Chromecast is intended for.

Example:
I've got a youtube video playing on my television thru my Chromecast. I've put it there via my mobile phone. From my laptop, can I connect to the Chromecast and see what it is playing?
2nd May 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #2  
Flag Kitchener
Thanks Meter: 2,097

2,820 posts
Donate to Me
More
From the chrome browser, It should tell you what app it is using. No details though. Just "Netflix" or "YouTube"

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399061954031.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	2722082

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2nd May 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 324

1,885 posts
If you happen to connect using the same app that launched the content it will in some cases tell you what content is playing to ensure you want to jump onto the control channel.

But it's not really possible to jump onto a Plex App Control Panel from some other app other than Plex....
Same would be true for YouTube and Netflix I would suspect.
3rd May 2014, 04:40 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 104

329 posts
There's an Android app called RemoteCast that attempts to connect to a Chromecast already running an app and take over control. If it succeeds, it shows you what's playing and lets you ff/rew/vol+- etc.. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a long time, and doesn't work for most Chromecast apps these days, but the potential is there.
Last edited by DJames1; 3rd May 2014 at 04:44 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread