Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,794 Members 44,806 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

D.I.Y Grippy Rubber Shell Cover

Tip us?

ATRIXXIRTA
Old
(Last edited by ATRIXXIRTA; 15th April 2014 at 03:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
Default D.I.Y Grippy Rubber Shell Cover

I've been a huge fan of this product for years ---> http://www.plastidip.com/

It's basically a spray on rubberized coating that is also 100% REMOVABLE!

I have been using it on trim pieces and rims on my car for years.

Out of sheer boredom, I decided I would try the product on my Moto G battery cover.

Turned out great!!

On my last coat, I got near the bottom of the can (was using left overs), so a couple of bubbles appeared.

But this was just a proof of concept, spur of the moment situation.

Next time I am going to use a fresh can, and maybe a different colour.

Anyway, here are my results!

Tell me what you think!

Here are some pics of me removing the coating. Peels off easily. Leaves no marks.

Phones: Motorola Atrix 4G ---> Samsung Galaxy Nexus (temporarily) ---> LG Optimus 3d ---> Samsung Galaxy SII LTE Skyrocket ---> LG Optimus G ---> Sony Xperia ZL ---> Motorola Moto G
My Roms/Ports: CarbonRom/CarbonClash (port): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181390
Thanks: XDA and all its members. Without you I'd still be an uneducated bumpkin complaining about my shi**y phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ATRIXXIRTA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mr_nooby
Old
Thanks Meter 475

DONATE TO ME
Looks nice! But maybe a bit too ruggy, not for the bubbles, on the rest too. But I guess that happens with any spray painting Unluckily. Anyway, looks nice to me :thumbup:

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

ATRIXXIRTA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nooby View Post
Looks nice! But maybe a bit too ruggy, not for the bubbles, on the rest too. But I guess that happens with any spray painting Unluckily. Anyway, looks nice to me :thumbup:

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
Thanks. The thing is that it's not paint. It's fully removable and leaves no trace. This was just a rush job with some almost empty left over cans. Just wanted to see how well it would sick. Going for a different color and better quality next time

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Phones: Motorola Atrix 4G ---> Samsung Galaxy Nexus (temporarily) ---> LG Optimus 3d ---> Samsung Galaxy SII LTE Skyrocket ---> LG Optimus G ---> Sony Xperia ZL ---> Motorola Moto G
My Roms/Ports: CarbonRom/CarbonClash (port): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181390
Thanks: XDA and all its members. Without you I'd still be an uneducated bumpkin complaining about my shi**y phone.

ATRIXXIRTA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
Op updated with removal pics

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darkshado
Old
Thanks Meter 453

DONATE TO ME
One phone ago I sprayed my Nexus S's battery cover with clear Plasti-Dip and it did not hold well at the edges, and would start peeling away rather quickly.

Please keep us posted, and if it does work, maybe some tips on application or something?
My phones: Galaxy Note II SGH-T889V (with LTE enabled / ext4 SD card support on TouchWiz ROMs), Motorola XT-1045 Moto G LTE (TWRP)
Previous phones: Nexus S GT-I9020A, Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M (Arpeggiomod ROM / Discussion, stock rooted ROM), Motorola XT-1032 Moto G.
Phones for which I play "tech support" for family and friends: Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, Galaxy Q SGH-T589R, Galaxy 551 GT-I5510M, LG C-800G Eclypse, Motorola XT-1032 Moto G
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Minervamc
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRIXXIRTA View Post
I've been a huge fan of this product for years ---> http://www.plastidip.com/

It's basically a spray on rubberized coating that is also 100% REMOVABLE!

I have been using it on trim pieces and rims on my car for years.

Out of sheer boredom, I decided I would try the product on my Moto G battery cover.

Turned out great!!

On my last coat, I got near the bottom of the can (was using left overs), so a couple of bubbles appeared.

But this was just a proof of concept, spur of the moment situation.

Next time I am going to use a fresh can, and maybe a different colour.

Anyway, here are my results!

Tell me what you think!

Here are some pics of me removing the coating. Peels off easily. Leaves no marks.

I am waiting for the nect color..
Anyway thanks.