Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Note 3 poor wifi, extra bar signal?

OP Mickey Padge

26th February 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

23 posts
I have recently purchased a Note 3 (SM-N9005), currently running it rooted with the Polish NB3, unfortunately knox triggered, but never had a faulty phone before, so I hope that continues!

One thing that has been bugging me in an otherwise great phone, is the wifi signal, quite weak to say the least, my Sony Xperia Z is roughly 2 bars stronger in the same place, in fact, so is my Q10 and various mobiles I have collected over time (Xiaomi Mi2s, Pantech 840s), annoying to say the least, tried all the tweaks and settings mentioned here and elsewhere and while they may help some, for me the signal is still very poor.......

Was watching an excellent tear down video here:

When he mentioned making sure the little contacts for the antennas were sufficiently bent upwards to make a good contact, very interesting!

So I carefully popped off the back after taking out all the twelve little screws, and proceeded to gently bend upwards the two connectors for GPS and wifi, I also ever so slightly roughed the silver connector with a fine needle, all done in theory to aid signal.....

As for the results, well, with the same ROM, and no router reboot etc.... the wifi that used to hover at one signal pip, maybe two, now moves between two and three, it even went full bar briefly, which it had never done before from the spot I used! And there are a few more SSID's in the list too

I am now as you would expect, very happy, the wifi still isn't fantastic, but it's a damn sight better now!!

Please don't try this and then blame me if you mess up your phone, I take no responsibility if you do, posted this just because I was quite surprised with the results!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mickey Padge For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
No one the least interested, thought with all the threads about the poor wifi this find may have been of interest? Unless I'm late to the show and this is already been done and dusted
27th February 2014, 05:03 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 26

115 posts
no one is interested because its a high risk low reward scenario.
Happy you had good results, but most people dont want to risk destroying their beloved note for a potential (minute) signal increase.
27th February 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedtime

no one is interested because its a high risk low reward scenario.
Happy you had good results, but most people dont want to risk destroying their beloved note for a potential (minute) signal increase.

Wouldn't say minute, having SSID's that weren't there before and one to two bars better signal is the exact opposite of that!

As for how difficult it is, unscrewing 12 screws and lifting off the back cover is a piece of cake, in fact you don't even need to remove it, just lift one corner away, watch the first few mins of the video, it's petty simple....

My phone didn't have the warranty sticker over one of the screws either, and the phone was brand new and sealed from the provider, weird
27th February 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 951

3,852 posts
More
I've never had issues with the signal on my Note 3.

The (admittedly many) times I do get a lousy signal, the fault lies with the provider, not my phone. (I know exactly where each tower is and what its range is. And I'm usually outside of it.)

As for WiFi, once I moved the Router out of the reinforced concrete cupboard, I always get a full signal...
27th February 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #6  
Flag Nottingham, England
Thanks Meter: 178

1,359 posts
More
to the OP , very useful thread dont be put off because theres been little responce, like the guy said few would dare to unscrew there beloved Note but still useful to know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ratcom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Yeah the 3G and 4G signal seems strong, just poor wifi when compared to multiple phones in the same spot, at least that was the case

I guess I trust my hands more than most, bad flashes are more of a concern for me than a few dozen screws lol
3rd May 2014, 07:33 AM   |  #8  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 3

28 posts
More
Thanks
I gave my phone for repairs once and the wifi reception has been below par since. Had tried what you have posted before but was not quite sure if I had the wifi pin right. Also I had only tinkered with the raised connector on the board and hadn't roughed up the connector on the back panel like you did.

Well your post gave me some courage and with the help of the video that you linked I tried it. Unfortunately, I broke the connector and that obviously made my problem much worse!

But then out of desperation I thought I would get some common copper wire to try and connect the board with the antenna and it actually worked Looks extremely ugly but my note 3 now connects to wifi routers even better than my note 1. I am attaching screenshots of the two phones with the wifi analyzer app. There is also a picture of the copper wire mesh that i put below the wifi antenna connector on the panel before I put it all back together.

Definitely do not recommend that anybody try what I did. It was an extremely foolish thing to do for someone as clumsy as me.

Thanks still OP. My Note 3 is in top form again thanks to you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Note 1 wifi analyzer screenshot.png
Views:	111
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2722792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Note 3 wifi analyzer screenshot.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	2722793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire mesh used to connect board to wifi antenna on note 3.jpg