Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

OTA Update and Battery Life

OP javaguy110

23rd April 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

33 posts
I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps somebody else out.

When I first bought my phone, it had absolutely stellar battery life. I was able to get over 4 hours of screen time with %20 still remaining. Last Friday (4/18), I took the Verizon OTA update and everything seemed to go perfectly fine.

I am bone stock, s-on, no root...haven't even attempted the s-off.....yet.

Over the weekend I noticed horrible battery life. I was only able to achieve around 2 hours of screen time and even idle seemed to sap it much more quickly than before. I went through several reboots without a difference.

So, Monday night, I thought...hmmm...well fastboot still keeps some things hanging around in order to boot more quickly. So I went into the Power settings, unchecked the fastboot box, performed a power down, let it sit for 30 seconds, powered on and charged it over night.

Lo and behold, my original battery performance is back.

Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to javaguy110 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,764

2,366 posts
More
I turned off fast boot and it fixed a few things. I also Greenified FB and FB messenger. My battery life tripled. Lol. Was craps before.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW
27th April 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 13

1,246 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack

I turned off fast boot and it fixed a few things. I also Greenified FB and FB messenger. My battery life tripled. Lol. Was craps before.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

Is your battery life still good after a few days? The fasboot being enabled was the only issue causing the drain?
27th April 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

33 posts
Well, the fastboot doesn't cause the drain. Fastboot keeps some things cached so you can reboot faster. Unchecking it allows a more complete restart. I haven't rebooted ever since that first reboot with fastboot unchecked. It's still running great!

Sent from my gunmetal grey M8!
29th April 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
I was getting horrible battery life after the OTA update

But at the same time I had just rooted and was messing with a bunch of sys files using titanium backup, so not sure if something I did along those lines was effecting battery performance.

I couldn't get through 12 hours of mostly idle time without needing a recharge- so I ended up resetting my phone back to factory and and now I get amazing battery life again
2nd May 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

if you greenify FB and FB messenger, doesnt that mean you wont get facebook messeges / notifications when they are sent ?
3rd May 2014, 11:16 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 9

139 posts
Battery life is issue since smartphones have been released. I'm used to it. What I do? If you think the great look and feel of the HTC One M8 are worth a slight stamina sacrifice, consider carrying around an external battery unit for emergencies. You can find little portable chargers on eBay.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, ota
Previous Thread Next Thread