Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 51,844 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OTA Update and Battery Life

Tip us?

javaguy110
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default OTA Update and Battery Life

I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps somebody else out.

When I first bought my phone, it had absolutely stellar battery life. I was able to get over 4 hours of screen time with %20 still remaining. Last Friday (4/18), I took the Verizon OTA update and everything seemed to go perfectly fine.

I am bone stock, s-on, no root...haven't even attempted the s-off.....yet.

Over the weekend I noticed horrible battery life. I was only able to achieve around 2 hours of screen time and even idle seemed to sap it much more quickly than before. I went through several reboots without a difference.

So, Monday night, I thought...hmmm...well fastboot still keeps some things hanging around in order to boot more quickly. So I went into the Power settings, unchecked the fastboot box, performed a power down, let it sit for 30 seconds, powered on and charged it over night.

Lo and behold, my original battery performance is back.

Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to javaguy110 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1761
I turned off fast boot and it fixed a few things. I also Greenified FB and FB messenger. My battery life tripled. Lol. Was craps before.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

drewcam888
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack View Post
I turned off fast boot and it fixed a few things. I also Greenified FB and FB messenger. My battery life tripled. Lol. Was craps before.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW
Is your battery life still good after a few days? The fasboot being enabled was the only issue causing the drain?
Verizon - Note 3, Nexus, and One M8

javaguy110
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Well, the fastboot doesn't cause the drain. Fastboot keeps some things cached so you can reboot faster. Unchecking it allows a more complete restart. I haven't rebooted ever since that first reboot with fastboot unchecked. It's still running great!

Sent from my gunmetal grey M8!

Res215dg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was getting horrible battery life after the OTA update

But at the same time I had just rooted and was messing with a bunch of sys files using titanium backup, so not sure if something I did along those lines was effecting battery performance.

I couldn't get through 12 hours of mostly idle time without needing a recharge- so I ended up resetting my phone back to factory and and now I get amazing battery life again

ransz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack View Post

Sent from my HTC6525LVW
if you greenify FB and FB messenger, doesnt that mean you wont get facebook messeges / notifications when they are sent ?

Napoleones
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Battery life is issue since smartphones have been released. I'm used to it. What I do? If you think the great look and feel of the HTC One M8 are worth a slight stamina sacrifice, consider carrying around an external battery unit for emergencies. You can find little portable chargers on eBay.

Tags
battery, ota