Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

SM-N900W8 stuck on 4.4

OP saffant

3rd May 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Hi,

I was on 4.3 and using this firmware N900W8VLUBMJ4_N900W8OYABMJ4_N900W8VLUBMJ4_HOME.tar with Bell.

I decided to upgrade to 4.4 (had NO clue at the time that the ability to downgrade was somehow removed by Samsung-- I guess I should have expected some funny business especially after seeing all this Knox crap).

Anyway, I backed up my apps with titanium backup, nandroid image, Kies 3 backup. However, after updating to 4.4, I wiped the data using the stock recovery (was so used to wiping using CWM/TWRP that I figured the stock recovery would only wipe the "data" folder--AS IT SAID SO), but instead it wiped my entire phone clean. Lost all my applications, my titanium backup folder, pictures (tho I guess I have dropbox so not too bad) and music. I figured that it's not so bad, I still have my nandroid backup backed up on dropbox. I could use that to recover all my stuff.

But I don't know how. I mean i can't downgrade to 4.3, and isn't that the only way to restore a nandroid? ie to be at least on the same Version of android.

I could try recovering it as is (currently on 4.4 stock), but I don't want to brick my phone. Could really use some advice on this. Thank you.
3rd May 2014, 09:46 AM   |  #2  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,767
 
2,371 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffant

Hi,

I was on 4.3 and using this firmware N900W8VLUBMJ4_N900W8OYABMJ4_N900W8VLUBMJ4_HOME.tar with Bell.

I decided to upgrade to 4.4 (had NO clue at the time that the ability to downgrade was somehow removed by Samsung-- I guess I should have expected some funny business especially after seeing all this Knox crap).

Anyway, I backed up my apps with titanium backup, nandroid image, Kies 3 backup. However, after updating to 4.4, I wiped the data using the stock recovery (was so used to wiping using CWM/TWRP that I figured the stock recovery would only wipe the "data" folder--AS IT SAID SO), but instead it wiped my entire phone clean. Lost all my applications, my titanium backup folder, pictures (tho I guess I have dropbox so not too bad) and music. I figured that it's not so bad, I still have my nandroid backup backed up on dropbox. I could use that to recover all my stuff.

But I don't know how. I mean i can't downgrade to 4.3, and isn't that the only way to restore a nandroid? ie to be at least on the same Version of android.

I could try recovering it as is (currently on 4.4 stock), but I don't want to brick my phone. Could really use some advice on this. Thank you.

If you updated to 4.4.2 using some official way, you cannot downgrade back down to 4.3 without having KNOX 0x1 tripped. If you followed Oogar's thread, then you still have hope as you would have flashed a "happy bootloader", but I think you didn't do the latter.

Yes, you are correct, you cannot restore a 4.3 nandroid on a 4.4.2 device as they have a different partition structure, and once you press restore, you will brick your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

If you updated to 4.4.2 using some official way, you cannot downgrade back down to 4.3 without having KNOX 0x1 tripped. If you followed Oogar's thread, then you still have hope as you would have flashed a "happy bootloader", but I think you didn't do the latter.

Yes, you are correct, you cannot restore a 4.3 nandroid on a 4.4.2 device as they have a different partition structure, and once you press restore, you will brick your device.

My Note 3's KNOX's already been tripped (yea long story.. didn't realize). Is there still a possibility to recover my data using that nandroid backup? Or to downgrade anyway?

I'm not aware of Oogar's method, I just updated via ODIN and that PDA file from sammobile.

EDIT: Is there a way for me to check if I have the "happy bootloader" or the dreaded NA6 bootloader?

PS: Thank you for the help.
Last edited by saffant; 3rd May 2014 at 10:07 AM.
3rd May 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #4  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,767
 
2,371 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffant

My Note 3's KNOX's already been tripped (yea long story.. didn't realize). Is there still a possibility to recover my data using that nandroid backup? Or to downgrade anyway?

I'm not aware of Oogar's method, I just updated via ODIN and that PDA file from sammobile.

EDIT: Is there a way for me to check if I have the "happy bootloader" or the dreaded NA6 bootloader?

PS: Thank you for the help.

The bootloader can be checked using some tools on the play Store, I believe if you search Phone Info on Play Store and pick the one for Samsung phones with Star icons next to it, should tell you your bootloader version.

If you updated officially you should be on the NB7 bootloader.

Anytime, just remember to click reply back so I get a notification
3rd May 2014, 10:14 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

The bootloader can be checked using some tools on the play Store, I believe if you search Phone Info on Play Store and pick the one for Samsung phones with Star icons next to it, should tell you your bootloader version.

If you updated officially you should be on the NB7 bootloader.

Anytime, just remember to click reply back so I get a notification

Ok, it says NB7 on the PDA file which I flashed so I'm guessing that is my bootloader. Not sure what do about recovering my data though. Any way at all? Or should I just give up and start from scratch?
Last edited by saffant; 3rd May 2014 at 10:19 AM.
3rd May 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #6  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,767
 
2,371 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffant

Ok, it says NB7 on the PDA file which I flashed so I'm guessing that is my bootloader. Not sure what do about recovering my data though. Any way at all? Or should I just give up and start from scratch?

There's no way...The new bootloader prevents you from downgrading.

Sorry bro, you gotta start from scratch >.<
3rd May 2014, 11:18 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
103 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

There's no way...The new bootloader prevents you from downgrading.

Sorry bro, you gotta start from scratch >.<

Think I will give this a try

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3t1c.bkrestore

or

try "extract from nandroid" on Titanium Backup.

Thanks anyway.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes