Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,993 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide?] Re-applying worn out fingerprint resistant coating on the cheap!

Tip us?

vantt1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Default [Guide?] Re-applying worn out fingerprint resistant coating on the cheap!

As you may know, most smartphones these days use Gorilla Glass for the digitizer panel. And being digitizers - devices that accept input via a user's finger - fingerprints can be a problem. This is why Gorilla Glass has a neat nanotech oleophobic coating that makes interacting with the screen smoother to the touch and can be easily cleaned of prints.

However, after 6-12 months of daily use, this coating can wear off due to scratches or simply just by using it. As a result, the screen may not feel as smooth as it used to when it was new, and smudges can be very hard to clean off. This coating can be re-applied using aftermarket kits, such as the Fusso one:

But this kit usually costs about $30 for a 5 mL bottle. which is only good for one application for a phone about the size of an iPhone.

The other option is to use a plastic screen protector film. No need for a picture; they're ubiquitous. These protect the fingerprint resistant coating from wearing off, but also defeats the purpose of having a fingerprint resistant coating in the first place. Besides, they scratch very easily and ruin the appearance of an otherwise crystal clear display. Who would want to do that?

I use a tempered glass screen protector that supposedly has an oleophobic coating, but that quickly wore off after about 6 months of use. So I applied a matte screen protector on top of the tempered glass protector. Dat graininess tho!

Anyway, I came across 'Rain Clear'; a liquid designed to be applied onto car windshields to increase visibility in rainy weather. Raindrops bead up and roll off by themselves when the car is moving, keeping the windshield clear. Basically, it's a DIY hydrophobic coating. I bought this 135 mL bottle for $7 from Kmart (in Australia). I'm sure a similar product can be bought at your local variety discount store.

Application is pretty straightforward. I'm going to try it on a non-original Nokia X6 screen first.

Drop a few drops of it onto a piece of folded microfibre cloth, then rub the glass surface in a circular motion until a "haze" is formed on the whole screen.

I used this kind of cloth:

This is the haze:

After complete coverage is achieved, clean the haze off with a cloth (preferably not the same one used to apply the coating) dampened with water until it is clear.

The results (before/after):

And this is on the Note 2:

It makes quite the difference! Water droplets are a lot more spherical now, and it cleans off much easier, too. Now, let's try it on a STAR N9589 - a common Note 2 knockoff that definitely doesn't have a Gorilla Glass panel.

I'm going to apply it to the top half of the screen for comparison purposes.

Such wow!

When using the screen of the Note 2, it certainly feels smoother than before, but only about 50% as smooth as an original screen. Still better than nothing! I applied the coating two days ago. Let's see how long it will last!
Previously Owned Phones:

Nokia 8310 | Sony Ericsson T68i | Samsung SGH-A701 | iPhone 3GS | Nokia N97 | Nokia X6

Current Android(s):
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Black Edition GT-i9515

• Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 SM-T520
Old Androids:
  • Samsung Galaxy SII GT-i9100 (sold)
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-i9305 4G LTE (given away (thread linked was removed by mod))
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100

RolloWolf
Old
Thanks Meter 2,133

DONATE TO ME
Just watch out for what you use on your screen. Some products will burn off what's left of the ophleobic coating , leaving you in a worse state.
S-Off thanks to Beaups and Sonic2756!

If I helped in any way, please hit the "Thanks" button!

Click here to check out my development page.

vantt1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayTheWolf View Post
Just watch out for what you use on your screen. Some products will burn off what's left of the ophleobic coating , leaving you in a worse state.
I know, that's why I'm only using it on the glass screen protector and not on the Gorilla Glass itself.
Previously Owned Phones:

Nokia 8310 | Sony Ericsson T68i | Samsung SGH-A701 | iPhone 3GS | Nokia N97 | Nokia X6

Current Android(s):

Old Androids:
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-i9305 4G LTE (given away (thread linked was removed by mod))
The Following User Says Thank You to vantt1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vantt1
Old
(Last edited by vantt1; 3rd May 2014 at 12:23 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Update: The coating seems to slightly wear off in about a week, probably because it wasn't designed to be touched by fingers all the time. This time, I've cleaned the screen (protector, rest assured) with methylated spirits before reapplying the Rain Clear. Once a week isn't that bad, since one 135 mL bottle is good for about 15 applications. 15/7 = about $2.15 7/15 = about $0.47 per application and overall it should last about 4 months. Fusso Smartphone has been reported to last about 6 months, but costs $30.

Worth it!
Previously Owned Phones:

Current Android(s):

Old Androids:

LucJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
Update: The coating seems to slightly wear off in about a week, probably because it wasn't designed to be touched by fingers all the time. This time, I've cleaned the screen (protector, rest assured) with methylated spirits before reapplying the Rain Clear. Once a week isn't that bad, since one 135 mL bottle is good for about 15 applications. 15/7 = about $2.15 per application and overall it should last about 4 months. Fusso Smartphone has been reported to last about 6 months, but costs $30.

Worth it!
You reversed it

7/15 = $0.47 per
The Following User Says Thank You to LucJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vantt1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucJoe View Post
You reversed it

7/15 = $0.47 per
Oops! Thanks for the correction!
Previously Owned Phones:

Current Android(s):

Old Androids:

assist4tech
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Thanks for sharing.

One product that has helped me since my Sony Ericsson M600i days is regular nail polish remover

Its very cheap and you can always flick it from sister's or girlfriend's collection

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Current Device : HTC One X+

Device is still cool enough to be used without Root

Tags
fingerprint resistant coating