Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,957 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thinking of getting a M8

Tip us?

sevron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Thinking of getting a M8

I have the S4, love the phone but need something new. Best thing is I'm still not on my own phone contract. So, the question is is giving up the freedom of not having a contract or even paying the phone bill worth it for a phone bill and HTC One M8?

I'm not worried about the cost or anything, obviously I can't pay full retail or I would of done it already. But I'm thinking of a single line plan on Verizon which is basically my only option for service where I go to or maybe ATT. Just not sure which as both plans would be ~90+ a month for just me =/.

Is the HTC One M8 a good phone? Worth getting it on Verizon EDGE or ATT Next so I can upgrade faster or what? I was tempted to go for the S5, but the all metal casing of the HTC One is winning me over.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted, TWRP, LiquidSmooth 4.4.2
Tablet: Nexus 7 8gb - Unlocked, Rooted, Stock 4.3; Nexus 7 2013 16gb - Rooted, Unlocked, Waiting for Official 4.4
Past Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Unlocked, Rooted, ParanoidAndroid3; Motorola Droid Bionic - Rooted, Stock 6.7.232; LG Revolution - Rooted, Stock

cj2566
Old
Thanks Meter 69

DONATE TO ME
Short answer: Yes!
I love my M8. I've had every major smart phone, on Verizon, with the M7 being an exception. This has almost everything I've ever wanted in a smartphone. If I could have Moto's active notifications and voice control, I'd be in heaven. Easy s-off, root, and unlock. Plus, the development is taking off in a big way. Since this device is hardware identical, it can be used on any network given the right software. It's a win/win in my book.

Sent from my #6F6E71 M8
Current:

HTC M8

|LG G2|-RETIRED
|Droid Ultra|-RETIRED
|Droid Max|-RETIRED
|Note 3|-RETIRED
|Iphone 5|-RETIRED
|Galaxy S4|-RETIRED
|Note 2|-RETIRED
|DROID DNA|-RETIRED
|RAZR MAXX HD|Rooted|
|Galaxy Nexus Prime|-RETIRED
|SGS3|Rooted|Unlocked|-RETIRED
|MOTO RAZR MAXX-RETIRED
|MOTO RAZR-RETIRED
|HTC Thunderbolt - RETIRED
|HTC Supersonic - RETIRED
|HTC Evo 3D - RETIRED

holla420
Old
Thanks Meter 1088
I have the S4 my gf is using it at the moment but I did the edge program and glad I did. I love this phone it's the best I ever owned. I wasn't to thrilled with last year's m7 that's the reason I went with the S4. But after being in a vzw store and having time to play with it and the S5 I choses the M8. Glad I did now cause the boot loader can be unlocked is amazing. I think it will be a long time before or if the S5 ever get unlocked

Sent from my Insanely powered M8 using Tapatalk
Vzw HTC one M8-current device
Vzw S4-gf using it
Vzw Droid DNA-finally sold it
Vzw Galaxy nexus-sold
Droid Razr-retired
HTC Thunderbolt-buried in my backyard
LG Revolution-using as a table propper

blazinandroid1
Old
Thanks Meter 70
I tryed out few phones. I even returned my iphone that freaking just sucked. M8 is the most best phone out right now. THANKS to a few members on this board..

sevron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
I may go play with the M8 and S5 in a store today. Just wished it wasn't $115/mo for one line with 2gb on VZW Edge. But no way I can actually use Tmobile as I tried them once and got nothing, not even 3g.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted, TWRP, LiquidSmooth 4.4.2
Tablet: Nexus 7 8gb - Unlocked, Rooted, Stock 4.3; Nexus 7 2013 16gb - Rooted, Unlocked, Waiting for Official 4.4
Past Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Unlocked, Rooted, ParanoidAndroid3; Motorola Droid Bionic - Rooted, Stock 6.7.232; LG Revolution - Rooted, Stock

ihierbal
Old
Thanks Meter 6
It's definitely a very good phone. I previously had a m7 and GS4 before that. I have no complaints at all. At first it felt a little too big coming from the M7 but I've since gotten used to it. My gf has a GS5 and after playing with it, it doesn't seem as smooth as the M8 even though they're running the same processor. The one thing I'll give the GS5 is the camera. Very easy to take awesome pictures on that phone. So I guess it depends on what you're going to do with the phone.

Napoleones
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Here's the plan available on Verizon HTC One M8:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/d...-one?&zipRdr=y

And here for you to compare your phone now with the HTC One M8. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGg09UxrRM