Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,227 Members 46,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Not working with a HDMI to VGA + 3.5mm converter

Tip us?

Peelypeel
Old
(Last edited by Peelypeel; 3rd May 2014 at 12:25 PM.) Reason: Change title to solved.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [SOLVED] Not working with a HDMI to VGA + 3.5mm converter

Does anyone have an expereince of using the CC with a HDMI to VGA+3.5mm audio converter? Like this one http://r.ebay.com/vEHmdh

Mine will only do audio OR video, but not both. When a VGA cable is plugged in, I only get video. When I unplug the VGA from the adapter, I get the audio.

Any ideas? My CC isn't rootable, its been on the internet already.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelypeel View Post
Does anyone have an expereince of using the CC with a HDMI to VGA+3.5mm audio converter? Like this one http://r.ebay.com/vEHmdh

Mine will only do audio OR video, but not both. When a VGA cable is plugged in, I only get video. When I unplug the VGA from the adapter, I get the audio.

Any ideas? My CC isn't rootable, its been on the internet already.
I would return it as that sounds like a Defective unit.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 819

DONATE TO ME
It's either defective or poor-quality product. Chromecast works fine with my HDfury2, which costs significantly more than Chromecast (I don't necessarily recommend it unless you get one for cheap, I happened to have an extra), so I can definitely confirm it's possible.

Based on the description, it sounds like it's supposed to work, but Chromecast may not be providing enough power on the HDMI to power the converter. I have to use the optional power supply for my HDfury2 to work when connected to Chromecast.

So, if a replacement doesn't work, I would look for a converter that is self-powered rather than powered by HDMI.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Peelypeel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
I have to use the optional power supply for my HDfury2 to work when connected to Chromecast.
Thanks, that's enough evidence for me to just buy a new converter that comes with external power.

mardukeme
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I bought this convertor from eBay and it works fine. Just took a few weeks to arrive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161157668457

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Peelypeel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Yup, it was the external power issue. I ordered http://r.ebay.com/AYWZ8c (which is identical to my current converter, but has a micro usb in on it) and it worked straight away. I finally have a functioning Chromecast!

Thanks for your replies.