Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,943 Members 52,861 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] using laptop battery as usb charger

Tip us?
 
maxlieb
Old
#1  
maxlieb's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 77
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default [Q] using laptop battery as usb charger

I bought a crappy battery pack from dx.com.
the battery works but makes a horrible noise when connecting the phone to the 2A port ... 1A no problem
also it was cheap, chinese, and labled "power bnak" instead of "bank"... total crap

and then I thought... I have a practically new perfectly good huge capacity 12 cell laptop battery that is just sitting on the shelf doing nothing since I don't carry around my laptop most of the time and its connected to ac power with battery disconnected all the time....

what if I could connect a Usb port directly to the battery?
It could be a really overkill emergency charger!

Anyone knows how this can be done?
HTC Desire S, s-off, cm11 port by devil-kin
LG G2 d802, stock Kit-Kat 20b, rooted
 
maydayind
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 55
Posts: 315
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlieb View Post
I bought a crappy battery pack from dx.com.
the battery works but makes a horrible noise when connecting the phone to the 2A port ... 1A no problem
also it was cheap, chinese, and labled "power bnak" instead of "bank"... total crap

and then I thought... I have a practically new perfectly good huge capacity 12 cell laptop battery that is just sitting on the shelf doing nothing since I don't carry around my laptop most of the time and its connected to ac power with battery disconnected all the time....

what if I could connect a Usb port directly to the battery?
It could be a really overkill emergency charger!

Anyone knows how this can be done?

Wrong voltage.. U would frie your charging circuts..
 
maxlieb
Old
#3  
maxlieb's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 77
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maydayind View Post
Wrong voltage.. U would frie your charging circuts..
When you charge from the wall socket it's also the wrong voltage... you convert it
HTC Desire S, s-off, cm11 port by devil-kin
LG G2 d802, stock Kit-Kat 20b, rooted
 
maydayind
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 55
Posts: 315
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlieb View Post
When you charge from the wall socket it's also the wrong voltage... you convert it
True but u asked if u connect it derectly. So stop asking questions u already know the answer to..
 
maxlieb
Old
#5  
maxlieb's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 77
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maydayind View Post
True but u asked if u connect it derectly. So stop asking questions u already know the answer to..
Directly meant without a huge laptop attached to it :P
HTC Desire S, s-off, cm11 port by devil-kin
LG G2 d802, stock Kit-Kat 20b, rooted
 
MrShickadance9
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 16
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default It's possible

Some laptops will keep power flowing to USB ports without being fully on- possibly in sleep mode. Recommend doing that if that's the case, although that's quite heavy to carry around just for charging your phone.
 
hotrodwinston
Old
#7  
hotrodwinston's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 109
Posts: 397
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the dark side
A multi meter can tell you what voltages are coming off the laptop battery and radio shack or a local electrical supply store can get you the parts to convert the voltage to the same as the battery on the "power bnak" then it should just be a matter of making sure you have solid connection and plug in - that big of a power source would be great for camping or power outages.
Remember there is a difference between a newb asking questions and a noob question!
I'm a senior member now? When the heck did that happen?
 

Phones:
mine:VZW lg g2 stock

wife:VZW lg g2 stock

previous:
VZW G'nex - htc inspire 4g (red) - mytouch3g - lg incite - htc wizard

Tablet:
Nexus7 slimkat all f2fs
Wife: nexus 7 stock
Previous: Toshiba thrive

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more