M8 Constantly Rebooting

Search This thread

noaone

Feb 22, 2013
Burlingame, CA
Hi Guys,

I just got my replacement M8 from AT&T yesterday. After obtaining root, S-OFF, and flashing a ROM the phone boots up, goes to the HTC lockscreen for about 4-5 seconds, freezes immediately (ie does not respond to touch) and then proceeds to reboot. This has been going on for the last 24 hours.

Im currently running ViperOne 1.50 with TWRP 2.7.0.4, but I've tried flashing Philz and a few other roms just to see if it is a common occurance and it is.

I'm thinking that I may have to bring it back to the carrier to see if I am able to exchange it. Hopefully I will be, but in the meantime any assistance or insight you guys can provide would be awesome.

noaone

Feb 22, 2013
Burlingame, CA
I forgot to mention that I had an old Philz backup from my previous M8 stored to my MicroSD, which I have attempted to restore, with the same results.

Im currently attempting to check the integrity of the internal storage via "check SmartSD" option in bootloader mode. Hopefully I can figure out exactly what is going on.

mr.dj26

Oct 31, 2010
Hi Guys,

I just got my replacement M8 from AT&T yesterday. After obtaining root, S-OFF, and flashing a ROM the phone boots up, goes to the HTC lockscreen for about 4-5 seconds, freezes immediately (ie does not respond to touch) and then proceeds to reboot. This has been going on for the last 24 hours.

Im currently running ViperOne 1.50 with TWRP 2.7.0.4, but I've tried flashing Philz and a few other roms just to see if it is a common occurance and it is.

I'm thinking that I may have to bring it back to the carrier to see if I am able to exchange it. Hopefully I will be, but in the meantime any assistance or insight you guys can provide would be awesome.

go to fastboot mode and type fastboot erase cache

reboot

make a factory reset from ur recovery. (not necessary)

hope it helps

noaone

Feb 22, 2013
Burlingame, CA
go to fastboot mode and type fastboot erase cache

reboot

make a factory reset from ur recovery. (not necessary)

hope it helps

Thanks for the response. Already ran the fast boot erase cache command. Seemed to help in at least prolonging the rebooting. But it starts again nonetheless. It's strange; it only seems to start after I've connected to my SSID. It reboots into setup mode repeatedly without saving data.

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Hi Guys,

Get official 2.7.0.2 from their site. Reflash recovery.
Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Fastboot erase cache
Go to recovery, wipe dalvik, cache, system
Reflash Rom.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Phoneguy589

May 1, 2011
S.E. Florida
Did you install any kernels or try undervolting at all? I agree it shouldn't be rebooting as it is doing. Other thought is to do a full wipe data reset.

noaone

Feb 22, 2013
Burlingame, CA
Did you install any kernels or try undervolting at all? I agree it shouldn't be rebooting as it is doing. Other thought is to do a full wipe data reset.

I was running Elemental 0.9 when I backed up Viper on my previous device, but I was not underclocking......I remember I had an issue siimilar to this in the past due to selecting the AT&T variant when actually flashing the rom as opposed to selecting the International variant, installing the rom, and then selecting AT&T at the setup screen.

I appreciate everyone's help. Ive tried most of these methods, but Im sure I probably missed a step along the way.

I am going to try to do this all over again....hopefully I can discern what the problem is.

noaone

Feb 22, 2013
Burlingame, CA
Get official 2.7.0.2 from their site. Reflash recovery.
Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Fastboot erase cache
Go to recovery, wipe dalvik, cache, system
Reflash Rom.

so i've gone through these steps pretty religiously 3 times, and each time seems to be elongating the time between boot, setup, and eventual reboot. the last time I thought I licked it, but sure enough it started the rebooting again and even went into a period of rapid bootlooping. (!?)

This is really weird. I think its a problem with the actual network adapter. Everytime I start to enter my wifi settings (specifically entering my proxy/static IP) it freezes and reboots.

Im just going to take this thing back to the store tomorrow. I love this phone and Im sure this is a fluke.

Again, thanks for your help, bros.

CJerk

JeroHTC

Jan 22, 2016
i am out of ideas

So my HTC one m8 shuts off if i dont have it plugged into the Charger it only stands a ChanCe if the power saver is on but even then if i open a video from the gallery or youtube or fb it shuts off and if i play musiC to loud through the speakers it shuts off sometime it works fine an sometimes it doesnt but now i have it plugged in all the time and even when its plugged in sometimes it shuts off. It wont turn on unless its plugged in it jus goes to the HTC sCreen an shuts off but onCe plugged in it turns on. i have no idea what is goin on i think its the battery i think a new battery wud help i tried deleting apps even a faCtory reset but it didnt help so i seriously think its the battery if anyone wud help that wud be awesome.