Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,522 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do I have to unlock sim Galaxy S4 to install cm10.2??

Tip us?
 
mattlou
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: May 2014
Default Do I have to unlock sim Galaxy S4 to install cm10.2??

I am new to all this and want to install cm10.2 but have no need to unlock my phone, is this totally necessary? Also what data, apps do I loose etc? Am i also able to install a different browser on the rom as i quite like zirco browser (does not have incognito ). Many thanks
 
|>/\nte
Old
#2  
|>/\nte's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 151
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlou View Post
I am new to all this and want to install cm10.2 but have no need to unlock my phone, is this totally necessary? Also what data, apps do I loose etc? Am i also able to install a different browser on the rom as i quite like zirco browser (does not have incognito ). Many thanks
As long as you use the sim you had provided with the phone (e.g. if it's a at&t phone and you have an at&t sim), you don't have to sim unlock the phone. Also, I think c.m. 10.2 has no sim lock. Anyway, your apps and data (e.g. music, pictures) will all be deleted, so if you want to keep them, use a backup app like the titanium backup to keep them all, but if you do so, note that you have to install the app again after the c.m. setup, because as I said, all your apps and data will be deleted. As for the browser, of course you can install any other you want, although c.m. has already one.
Phone: Sony xperia sp (c5303)
Android version: 4.1.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0-perf-g1285c6c-01149-g40c437a BuildUser@BuildHost) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 14 17:10:55 2013
Baseband version: 8960A-AAAAATAZQ-40031007-13
Build number: 12.0.A.2.254

 
mattlou
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by |>/\nte View Post
As long as you use the sim you had provided with the phone (e.g. if it's a at&t phone and you have an at&t sim), you don't have to sim unlock the phone. Also, I think c.m. 10.2 has no sim lock. Anyway, your apps and data (e.g. music, pictures) will all be deleted, so if you want to keep them, use a backup app like the titanium backup to keep them all, but if you do so, note that you have to install the app again after the c.m. setup, because as I said, all your apps and data will be deleted. As for the browser, of course you can install any other you want, although c.m. has already one.
Thank you so much, done the titanium backup already, I have my pictures etc on cloud so thats not a problem, can I just back up apps to the SD card? I am aware not all apps can be stored there but the majority of mine are. Sorry to ask loads I want to be 100% sure before I flash the rom lol
 
|>/\nte
Old
(Last edited by |>/\nte; 3rd May 2014 at 04:24 PM.)
#4  
|>/\nte's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 151
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlou View Post
Thank you so much, done the titanium backup already, I have my pictures etc on cloud so thats not a problem, can I just back up apps to the SD card? I am aware not all apps can be stored there but the majority of mine are. Sorry to ask loads I want to be 100% sure before I flash the rom lol
Don't feel sorry for asking "too much". That's what xda is for. Anyway, I think you can backup your apps in your external sd card but via a backup app (let's say the titanium backup as far as we've already mentioned it), because your phone doesn't have that option itself - as far as I know, I don't own a samsung phone. Check it out. If you can backup your stuff to the external sd card, I recommend you do it, so you'll be more sure for your precious apps' safety.
Phone: Sony xperia sp (c5303)
Android version: 4.1.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0-perf-g1285c6c-01149-g40c437a BuildUser@BuildHost) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 14 17:10:55 2013
Baseband version: 8960A-AAAAATAZQ-40031007-13
Build number: 12.0.A.2.254

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes